"clean foods"

Options

Replies

• jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    So, the whole debate about "clean eating is a myth, it's only about calories in calories out" has got me thinking. I'm curious, does anyone know if there have been any controlled studies done where two groups of people are alloted the same calories, but one group eats "clean" and the other group eats mostly junk? Oh, and both are on the same exercise regimen, as well. It would be interesting to see what the end results are, not just regarding weight loss, but also regarding lipid levels, blood pressure, sugar levels, energy levels, and general overall health.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Try www.thegraciouspantry.com She's got LOADS of tips, recipes, etc -- ALL clean!

Clean eating is basically giving up processed stuff, refined stuff, etc. Getting back to things in their natural state. Give that site a look, I bet it will help you!

AWESOME, thank you!!

I think my biggest problem is going to be that i'm so used to the added flavor that processed foods have- that i'm going to be struggling with things being too bland. If that makes sense.

i was really really worried about that too but as soon as I started trying "clean" recipes within a couple weeks I found that my taste completely changed. I started really being able to taste the food I was eating and I started needing salt and other things like that less and less. I now find I dont have many cravings for processed foods at all. ill reach for some raw almonds before i reach for a muffin LOL. give it a try im telling you itll really make a difference in your weight loss!

Thanks- i'm going to give it a shot! I actually don't ever add salt to anything- i'm guilty of using a lot of natures seasoning salt tho *love it* I've been a 'weird' eater most of my life, if you ask my family...I don't like condiments; I don't use dressing...so on and so forth. It's a wonder as picky as I am, how I got so big...but then again, it's really not b/c i've been big on sweets for as long as I can remember.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    So, the whole debate about "clean eating is a myth, it's only about calories in calories out" has got me thinking. I'm curious, does anyone know if there have been any controlled studies done where two groups of people are alloted the same calories, but one group eats "clean" and the other group eats mostly junk? Oh, and both are on the same exercise regimen, as well. It would be interesting to see what the end results are, not just regarding weight loss, but also regarding lipid levels, blood pressure, sugar levels, energy levels, and general overall health.

would definitely be interesting- I think i'd rather be on the 'clean eaters' side though.
  • Wilson929
    Wilson929 Posts: 100
    Options
    I compare it as boxed/canned to unboxed/uncanned or processed vs unprocessed. Things high in sodium and prepackaged I consider to not be clean. Fresh veggies/fruits and meats I consider to be clean

Some examples:

So rice cooked in a pot or your rice cooker is cleaner than rice a roni from the box

Creating a mushroom sauce out of fresh mushrooms to top on your chicken breast would be cleaner than putting a can of mushroom soup on some frozen chicken nuggets.

If you gotta pull it out of the box, pull off the wrapper or just puncture where the potatoes are and microwave to cook it, probably not so clean.

HTH

This :smile:
    It's how I approach "clean" eating.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The second post here: it's not a myth. Calories in does not equal calories out.

I've done a "clean" diet for food allergies for the past month and lost 17 lbs from it, without cutting calories anywhere. I was eating my maintenance number of calories with only a bit of walking to and from work. If calories in and calories out equalled weight loss, why did I lose 17 lbs.

On top of that: This weekend I started eating some of my old, regular diet. The first time I ate something pre-packaged and frozen.

I gained 2 lbs over 3 days, again, eating the same number of calories.

So if you think "clean foods" is a myth, then explain that to me.

To answer the OP: IMO, "clean foods" are anything that don't come out of a box, can, plastic bag, etc. If its raw, and you're making your food from scratch, it's clean.

For a comparison: Home made cranberry sports drink vs a bottle coca cola. What do you think is "clean"?

You lost weight because you ate in a consistent caloric deficit. Unless of course you are a wizard and own a pet unicorn since the laws of the universe would clearly not apply to you then
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
  • jsj024519
    Options
    The second post here: it's not a myth. Calories in does not equal calories out.

I've done a "clean" diet for food allergies for the past month and lost 17 lbs from it, without cutting calories anywhere. I was eating my maintenance number of calories with only a bit of walking to and from work. If calories in and calories out equalled weight loss, why did I lose 17 lbs.

On top of that: This weekend I started eating some of my old, regular diet. The first time I ate something pre-packaged and frozen.

I gained 2 lbs over 3 days, again, eating the same number of calories.

So if you think "clean foods" is a myth, then explain that to me.

To answer the OP: IMO, "clean foods" are anything that don't come out of a box, can, plastic bag, etc. If its raw, and you're making your food from scratch, it's clean.

For a comparison: Home made cranberry sports drink vs a bottle coca cola. What do you think is "clean"?

You lost weight because you ate in a consistent caloric deficit. Unless of course you are a wizard and own a pet unicorn since the laws of the universe would clearly not apply to you then

HAHA LOL. Boom exactly.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    clean foods are a myth. calories in and calories out is what counts to lose weight.

Twinkie Diet: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

just my two cents.

Yah I am a chocolate fan and a Twinkie fan. Read this article too. I usually eat 1 or 2 candy bars a day with ice cream :) Mmmm! Oww and I had a little Debbie’s yesterday. YUM!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    clean foods are a myth. calories in and calories out is what counts to lose weight.

Twinkie Diet: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

just my two cents.

wow.

uhm, no.
  • alexis831
    Options
    These clean foods are what really define your body. If you eat 1200 calories of processed food your body will get smaller but still have that "skinny fat" look. If you eat 1200 calories of clean, whole foods you will have more defined look, with any of this you should be doing exercise including weights.

Does my body look skinny fat? I eat mostly processed junk.
  • alexis831
    Options
    Clean foods are not a myth... they are simply foods that are less/not processed and therefore healthier.

Whether or not they assist in weight loss..well, that is debatable.

So true... no one actually knows for sure. Its just best guess!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Clean foods are foods in their natural state. The less processed the food, the cleaner the food.

Foods that are in their natural state are generally considered healthier, but that's not true 100% of the time.
  • jsj024519
    Options

just my two cents.

Yah I am a chocolate fan and a Twinkie fan. Read this article too. I usually eat 1 or 2 candy bars a day with ice cream :) Mmmm! Oww and I had a little Debbie’s yesterday. YUM!

Wow you look pretty fit for eating processed foods, alexis831. See that picture ejean86? So much for your mythical clean food shurah.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options

just my two cents.

wow.

uhm, no.

I couldn't do that- I like sweets; but not enough to eat ONLY sweets. Bleh- just reading that makes me ill.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    basically stay away from processed foods, and "fake foods". or, in other words, cook your own meals, using fresh produce/meats/ect.

and folks... don't go and say "well olive oil and dairy is processed, har har har". yes, its *techinically* processed, but saying that is just being a smart *kitten*, and you know it.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    food-pyramid_clean-eating_eMeals2.png
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    As far as the clean food debate goes, it really depends on the person. For me, the "cleaner" (less processed food/fast food/pre-packaged snacks) I eat, the more weight I lose. For other people, it doesn't really matter. Eat whatever makes your body feel the best, and it will reward you.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    the clean food myth is such bs. I eat out several times per week, eat chocolate, etc etc etc. Yeah it's healthier to eat "clean" foods but as far as body composition it doesn't matter
  • jsj024519
    Options
    the clean food myth is such bs. I eat out several times per week, eat chocolate, etc etc etc. Yeah it's healthier to eat "clean" foods but as far as body composition it doesn't matter

music to my ear. This clean eating bullsh*t myth needs to die.