"clean foods"

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    So, the whole debate about "clean eating is a myth, it's only about calories in calories out" has got me thinking. I'm curious, does anyone know if there have been any controlled studies done where two groups of people are alloted the same calories, but one group eats "clean" and the other group eats mostly junk? Oh, and both are on the same exercise regimen, as well. It would be interesting to see what the end results are, not just regarding weight loss, but also regarding lipid levels, blood pressure, sugar levels, energy levels, and general overall health.

That's what the guy on the Twinkie diet did.

At the end, it wasn't just his weight that was down. Every indicator was improved. His blood pressure, cholesterol, everything.

He was probably a hungry beast, and I like to eat in the way you all are describing as "clean" fairly often, because I find that "clean" foods are rarely the calorie-dense ones.

However, I eat all sorts of highly processed stuff, because it tastes good, it saves me calories, or I just like it.

Laughing Cow, anyone?
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    the clean food myth is such bs. I eat out several times per week, eat chocolate, etc etc etc. Yeah it's healthier to eat "clean" foods but as far as body composition it doesn't matter

its a choice, not a requirement.

do i feel better when i eat cleaner? yes.
    do i have more energy when i cleaner? yes.
    do i lose weight easier when i eat cleaner? yes.
    can i not eat clean and still lose weight? yes.
  • 2girls4boys
    2girls4boys Posts: 72 Member
    I'm saving this to read later. Looks like lots of good information.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    basically stay away from processed foods, and "fake foods". or, in other words, cook your own meals, using fresh produce/meats/ect.

and folks... don't go and say "well olive oil and dairy is processed, har har har". yes, its *techinically* processed, but saying that is just being a smart *kitten*, and you know it.

everything is processed.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    If you want to eat healthy, when you go to the grocery store shop the perimeter. This has your meats, produce, dairy, breads. All the stuff that are non/minimally processed. It's when you hit the aisle that you will get the boxed, bagged, canned stuff. Mind you, not all canned items are bad for you, you just need to read the labels and make sure there are no added anything to what you're buying which is difficult at times.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    I wash most fruits before I eat them. They are then clean.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    clean foods are a myth. calories in and calories out is what counts to lose weight.

Twinkie Diet: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

just my two cents.

smh. there's major difference between eating to lose weight and eating to lose weight AND be healthy.

I couldn't agree more. I lost a lot of weight eating whatever I wanted as long as it was in my calories, but it tought me nothing. I had no muscle and was still no healthier.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    and folks... don't go and say "well olive oil and dairy is processed, har har har". yes, its *techinically* processed, but saying that is just being a smart *kitten*, and you know it.

Cognitive dissonance...
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    I take it as eating more fruits, veggies, and lean meats. No things like 100 calorie snack packs, fast foods like burgers/fries, basically healthier foods. Don't know why they say "clean". I eat this way. Not alot of packaged stuff. More organic. I don't go crazy and will eat some stuff like I love Klondike sugar free ice cream bars.

Since I have changed to this way of eating, I have more muscle mass and have lost 46 lbs in 4 months. I feel wonderful. Even my husband has commented on how my mood changed and I'm very calm and always smiling. When I use to eat I would become sleepy and/or feel kinda bloated. Now I get warm and have tons of energy. People can say/do what they want, but I believe your diet is a big factor. Sure I could eat hamburgers and french fries and lose, but I wouldn't be doing my body any favors. I want a slender healthy life.
  • jsj024519
    the clean food myth is such bs. I eat out several times per week, eat chocolate, etc etc etc. Yeah it's healthier to eat "clean" foods but as far as body composition it doesn't matter

it is a choice that needs to be banished.
  • sobriquet84
    basically stay away from processed foods, and "fake foods". or, in other words, cook your own meals, using fresh produce/meats/ect.

everything is processed.

read my second sentence.
  • sobriquet84

wow, you're really angsty, aren't you?
  • jsj024519

everything is processed.

read my second sentence.
    \

read my ONLY sentence
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member

everything is processed.

Not true. Processed foods have a longer shelf-life. Things like meat, dairy, vegetables, items that need to be eaten within a short time span are not processed.
  • babesintow
    babesintow Posts: 59
    Try www.thegraciouspantry.com She's got LOADS of tips, recipes, etc -- ALL clean!

Clean eating is basically giving up processed stuff, refined stuff, etc. Getting back to things in their natural state. Give that site a look, I bet it will help you!

AWESOME, thank you!!

I think my biggest problem is going to be that i'm so used to the added flavor that processed foods have- that i'm going to be struggling with things being too bland. If that makes sense.

It seems like the longer I do this the less flavor that I crave. I never thought I would care for foods I once considered bland...not that I don't like flavorful food but it is certainly a change.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    I take it as eating more fruits, veggies, and lean meats. No things like 100 calorie snack packs, fast foods like burgers/fries, basically healthier foods. Don't know why they say "clean". I eat this way. Not alot of packaged stuff. More organic. I don't go crazy and will eat some stuff like I love Klondike sugar free ice cream bars.

Since I have changed to this way of eating, I have more muscle mass and have lost 46 lbs in 4 months. I feel wonderful. Even my husband has commented on how my mood changed and I'm very calm and always smiling. When I use to eat I would become sleepy and/or feel kinda bloated. Now I get warm and have tons of energy. People can say/do what they want, but I believe your diet is a big factor. Sure I could eat hamburgers and french fries and lose, but I wouldn't be doing my body any favors. I want a slender healthy life.

Thank you for this!!! Hopefully it has the same effect on me.
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    [/quote]

AWESOME, thank you!!

I think my biggest problem is going to be that i'm so used to the added flavor that processed foods have- that i'm going to be struggling with things being too bland. If that makes sense.
    [/quote]

This will only last for a short while. You will begin to love and appreciate the taste of clean foods.
  • Mzchasenpaper
    Mzchasenpaper Posts: 37 Member
    bump
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Thanks for this topic.... I was mis-informed. I always thought "eating clean" was taking a shower before supper!
  • jsj024519

wow, you're really angsty, aren't you?

no, just sick and tired of hearing clean food is great when it is a bunch of crap