"clean foods"

Options

Replies

• sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

wow, you're really angsty, aren't you?

no, just sick and tired of hearing clean food is great when it is a bunch of crap

so, you're basically saying that eating healthier food is a load of sh-t.

wow. what planet are you from?

define "healthy"

i give up. i'm not going to waste my time on an idiot.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The second post here: it's not a myth. Calories in does not equal calories out.

I've done a "clean" diet for food allergies for the past month and lost 17 lbs from it, without cutting calories anywhere. I was eating my maintenance number of calories with only a bit of walking to and from work. If calories in and calories out equalled weight loss, why did I lose 17 lbs.

On top of that: This weekend I started eating some of my old, regular diet. The first time I ate something pre-packaged and frozen.

I gained 2 lbs over 3 days, again, eating the same number of calories.

So if you think "clean foods" is a myth, then explain that to me.

To answer the OP: IMO, "clean foods" are anything that don't come out of a box, can, plastic bag, etc. If its raw, and you're making your food from scratch, it's clean.

For a comparison: Home made cranberry sports drink vs a bottle coca cola. What do you think is "clean"?

You lost weight because you ate in a consistent caloric deficit. Unless of course you are a wizard and own a pet unicorn since the laws of the universe would clearly not apply to you then

HAHA LOL. Boom exactly.

That was freakin funny!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options

no, just sick and tired of hearing clean food is great when it is a bunch of crap

define "healthy"

i give up. i'm not going to waste my time on an idiot.

me too!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    @OP - A lot of people find the book "The Eat Clean Diet" as tremendous help for eating clean. It is an eye opener on the kinds of crap we put in our bodies every day. If your ONLY concern is weight loss, then yes, you can count calories and eat as much garbage as you want. But if you want to get the most out of your workouts, fuel your body properly, and add years to your life, then changing your eating habits and eating "clean" is the best way to do it!

Awesome- thank you. Definitely the latter. I will be looking into this book ;)
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The Internet: Wasting time on Idiots
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I've done a "clean" diet for food allergies for the past month and lost 17 lbs from it, without cutting calories anywhere. I was eating my maintenance number of calories with only a bit of walking to and from work. If calories in and calories out equalled weight loss, why did I lose 17 lbs.

On top of that: This weekend I started eating some of my old, regular diet. The first time I ate something pre-packaged and frozen.

To answer the OP: IMO, "clean foods" are anything that don't come out of a box, can, plastic bag, etc. If its raw, and you're making your food from scratch, it's clean.

For a comparison: Home made cranberry sports drink vs a bottle coca cola. What do you think is "clean"?

You lost weight because you ate in a consistent caloric deficit. Unless of course you are a wizard and own a pet unicorn since the laws of the universe would clearly not apply to you then

HAHA LOL. Boom exactly.

Sorry for being slow to get back to this, but:

I'm eating 2000-2500 calories every day (my TDEE is 2500 calories/day), with a deficit from 0-500 calories most days. I've only done this for 4 weeks so far, so I should have only lost about 4 lbs at most.

So where did the calorie deficit for the last 13 lbs come from?

And yes, I do intend on not eating as much out of a box as possible.

Water/glycogen losses or your TDEE is much higher then whatever you're using to estimate it, or possibly wizardry

I drink 2+L of water every day, and my BMR is 2050 calories/day. I have a desk job, so my TDEE is about 2500. With your theory, my TDEE must be about 4500 calories a day. I'm 6', and weigh 225lbs. In order to burn over 4000 calories a day, I'd have to run for about 6 hours a day.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    the clean food myth is such bs. I eat out several times per week, eat chocolate, etc etc etc. Yeah it's healthier to eat "clean" foods but as far as body composition it doesn't matter

its a choice, not a requirement.

do i feel better when i eat cleaner? yes.
    do i have more energy when i cleaner? yes.
    do i lose weight easier when i eat cleaner? yes.
    can i not eat clean and still lose weight? yes.

it is a choice that needs to be banished.

I forgot how evil veggies are. Stop being such a negative b*tch. You do what works for you, we'll do ours. Is it hurting you if people decide to eat healthier? No. So go stuff your mouth with some hamburger helper and shut it. There's a HUGE difference between offering an opinion and bashing.

I shall! :D
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    basically stay away from processed foods, and "fake foods". or, in other words, cook your own meals, using fresh produce/meats/ect.

and folks... don't go and say "well olive oil and dairy is processed, har har har". yes, its *techinically* processed, but saying that is just being a smart *kitten*, and you know it.

everything is processed.

???

If I go outside and pick an apple from my tree or some sugar snap peas from my garden and eat them, how are those "processed"?
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    Clean, dirty, believe what you want. I grew up eating fresh fruit and veggies from my Grampas garden and to this day I prefer the healthier foods but I do love some processed things. I do go for the packaged foods that don't have a novel for a list of ingredients though, such as Cape Cod chips that have only 3 ingredients. Do what works for you and what makes you feel good. Alcohol surely isn't considered "clean" but I'm not going to give up drinks with my fiancé or friends, I just make sure I balance it all out with food and exercise.

:laugh: Most people don't completely give up alcohol anyhow, luckily I don't drink (allergic to liquor, don't like beer) so that part won't be a problem for me!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    clean foods are a myth. calories in and calories out is what counts to lose weight.

Twinkie Diet: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

just my two cents.

not true...it didnt take his body composition in to account.

i've kept my calories the same for over a year and i've lost 12 lbs...i'd like that to be explained by the calories in= calories out theory! All I did was go from vegetarian (i.e. carb centric) to paleo (i.e. protein centric) and BAM! 12 lbs gone for good

anyhoo...clean foods are those that come from mother earth---either the ground or from animals. They are not boxed or processed and are usually found in the perimeter of the grocery store: meats, fish, fruits, veggies, eggs, milk...all with minimal processing.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    basically stay away from processed foods, and "fake foods". or, in other words, cook your own meals, using fresh produce/meats/ect.

and folks... don't go and say "well olive oil and dairy is processed, har har har". yes, its *techinically* processed, but saying that is just being a smart *kitten*, and you know it.

everything is processed.

Not true. Processed foods have a longer shelf-life. Things like meat, dairy, vegetables, items that need to be eaten within a short time span are not processed.

meat that is from farm animals pumped up with steroids and the veggies sprayed with pesticides and fertilizers? so much for that being "clean"

For ****s sake! Reread my comment hmmm?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    clean foods are a myth. calories in and calories out is what counts to lose weight.

Twinkie Diet: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

just my two cents.

not true...it didnt take his body composition in to account.

i've kept my calories the same for over a year and i've lost 12 lbs...i'd like that to be explained by the calories in= calories out theory! All I did was go from vegetarian (i.e. carb centric) to paleo (i.e. protein centric) and BAM! 12 lbs gone for good

anyhoo...clean foods are those that come from mother earth---either the ground or from animals. They are not boxed or processed and are usually found in the perimeter of the grocery store: meats, fish, fruits, veggies, eggs, milk...all with minimal processing.

It's easy to explain actually. Protein is a more 'expensive' nutrient for the body to digest.

While the energy in is the same as carbs (4cals per gram) the energy expenditure to process and digest protein is larger than carbs.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat clean too but not for weight loss, for health. If you look at pictures of people's teeth pre-processed foods, much better. Everyone these days is dying of cancer and all types of diseases. Why eat a bunch of junk? You CAN lose weight just FINE eating processed chemical laden foods because WEIGHT wise calorie in and calorie out is what matters, but WHY? If I die, I want my organs to be good for the next person who gets them. ;) Not just "be thinner." For me it's easy because I have kids, I would never ever allow my kids to eat a bunch of processed junk so I have to be the example and provide them with food that isn't garbage. When I look at people's journals sometimes you see MAYBE 1-2 fruits or veggies for an ENTIRE 24 hour period, or something out of a CAN as their only vegetable. :\ Fresh fruits and veggies are full of antioxidants that help fight free radicals, why not load up? LOL They make you full too so that helps with the calorie portion. I do find that your taste TOTALLY changes when you eat clean. I love it. It makes you just FEEL better too. I haven't been sick in forever and my hair and nails grow super fast, it's definitely beneficial for more than just the scale.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Only eating clean foods is considered an eating disorder.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680297-orthorexia-do-you-have-it
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Clean, dirty, believe what you want. I grew up eating fresh fruit and veggies from my Grampas garden and to this day I prefer the healthier foods but I do love some processed things. I do go for the packaged foods that don't have a novel for a list of ingredients though, such as Cape Cod chips that have only 3 ingredients. Do what works for you and what makes you feel good. Alcohol surely isn't considered "clean" but I'm not going to give up drinks with my fiancé or friends, I just make sure I balance it all out with food and exercise.

:laugh: Most people don't completely give up alcohol anyhow, luckily I don't drink (allergic to liquor, don't like beer) so that part won't be a problem for me!

True haha, though I do see people who have better luck losing weight when they cut out alcohol. For most it makes them hungry so they tend to eat more so I can see how cutting it out works. For me, alcohol takes away my appetite, yeah I'm weird haha. Like I said I don't count calories anymore but if I'm going to be having drinks then I balance it with a good work out first and watching food portions for that day :drinker: . Guess my main point was like I said, do what works for you and what makes you feel good because there will always be some new study telling you what to eat, how much to eat and when to eat. This has certainly been an interesting thread to read :glasses:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

HAHA LOL. Boom exactly.

Sorry for being slow to get back to this, but:

I'm eating 2000-2500 calories every day (my TDEE is 2500 calories/day), with a deficit from 0-500 calories most days. I've only done this for 4 weeks so far, so I should have only lost about 4 lbs at most.

So where did the calorie deficit for the last 13 lbs come from?

And yes, I do intend on not eating as much out of a box as possible.

Water/glycogen losses or your TDEE is much higher then whatever you're using to estimate it, or possibly wizardry

I drink 2+L of water every day, and my BMR is 2050 calories/day. I have a desk job, so my TDEE is about 2500. With your theory, my TDEE must be about 4500 calories a day. I'm 6', and weigh 225lbs. In order to burn over 4000 calories a day, I'd have to run for about 6 hours a day.

Reread what I wrote and then try again
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My two cents.... Clean food is great, healthy, tastey, and makes you feel good. There is never nothing wrong with doing what makes you feel good. There are no bad foods, some just better than otheres. One warning though, eating too much "un-clean" food can cause you crave more and you get to the point where you bash others for saying anything bad against your drug of choice. :drinker:
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

True haha, though I do see people who have better luck losing weight when they cut out alcohol. For most it makes them hungry so they tend to eat more so I can see how cutting it out works. For me, alcohol takes away my appetite, yeah I'm weird haha. Like I said I don't count calories anymore but if I'm going to be having drinks then I balance it with a good work out first and watching food portions for that day :drinker: . Guess my main point was like I said, do what works for you and what makes you feel good because there will always be some new study telling you what to eat, how much to eat and when to eat. This has certainly been an interesting thread to read :glasses:

alcohol is actually an appetite suppressant.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

define "healthy"

Fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, meats free from artificial hormones and antibiotics, etc. Not something that has to be fortified with vitamins and minerals, or that has artificial preservatives or man-made chemical ingredients.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options

Thank you! I actually wasn't expecting this much feedback- and i'm so glad so many people have posted, and given me sites to look at- soon as I go home tonight and my son is in bed, i'm going to be doing a lot of research on these sites (after my workout of course! ) :happy: