What's your favorite salad?

Options

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Spinach, strawberries and brie salad with poppy seed dressing.

Spinach-Strawberry-and-Brie-Salad-with-Poppy-Seed-Dressing.jpg

Sooo good :).

Recipe here: http://www.thedailymorsel.com/2011/05/spinach-strawberry-and-brie-salad-with-poppy-seed-dressing/
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I like a big garden salad with breaded chicken on top, and I use honey mustard as dressing.

I also like a veggie salad made with cubed cucumbers, cubed tomatoes, and chopped onion all marinated in italian dressing.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Spring greens with mushrooms, black olives, cucumbers, crab meat, blue cheese crumbles, sunflower seeds and a little bit of blue cheese dressing.

A "real" ceasar salad (the sort with anchovies in the dressing).
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Baby Spinach 1-2 cups
    1 slice of sweet onion, cut in halves
    5-8 oz baked chicken breast
    2 tbsp Ken's Light Honey Mustard dressing

I legit eat this 2 times a day and it NEVER gets old!
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mixed greens, goat cheese crumbles, toasted pecans, red onion, grape tomatoes, balsamic vinegar/honey/herbs for dressing. I add grilled chicken if it's the main meal.

I just tried this but with feta (cannot find goat cheese here) and it's amazing! I use a balsamic marinade that I found with a Company's Coming recipe with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, basil, garlic, and lemon pepper. It's sooooo good! Here's the recipe:

BALSAMIC MARINADE
    1/3 cup/75 mL Olive (or cooking) oil
    1/4 cup/60 mL Balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp./30 mL Liquid honey
    3/4 tsp./4 mL Dried basil
    2 Garlic cloves, minced (or 1/2 tsp./2 mL, powder)
    1 tsp./5 mL Lemon pepper

Full recipe at http://www.companyscoming.com/recipes/chicken-and-artichoke-salad/2005/4/117/.

Enjoy!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    My mom has made this salad for years and I still love it. It may not be super MFP friendly, but I fit it in.

Taco Salad-
    fritos
    salad mix of spinach and romaine
    ground beef
    ranch style beans
    shredded cheese
    catalina dressing

Or I do spinach and romaine (double the spinach compared to other), feta, chicken, cucumber, candied walnuts, craisins and light raspberry vinagrette.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Almond berry salad. romaine and spinach mix, dried cranberries, feta cheese, almonds and strawberry halves with Ken's lite raspberry walnut vinegarette dressing!! OH man it's good and I NEVER thought I would like salads with fruit on them! I also have had it with grilled chicken in it too and it's even better!!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hersheyskiss
    Options
    BUMP
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Spinach, berries, feta or bleu cheese and chicken.
    With a balsamic vin.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    Take a piece of steak and rub both sides with olive oil. Completely cover both sides with cracked/ground pepper (even better if you can use several types of ground pepper... white, cracked, finely ground, etc). Grill until desired doneness.
    In a bowl, throw in some mixed greens. Best is something that has like arugula, raddichio... good mix. Add chopped fresh mushrooms, chopped radishes, bacon bits, feta cheese, croutons. Add cooked steak on top. Make a dressing out of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. So good.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I like to mix organic baby greens with some Asian slaw and broccoli slaw mix, then add more veggies - whatever I have on hand - peppers, onions, tomatoes, carrots, chick peas.

Then I either toss with a little of the Paul Newman sesame ginger and add peanuts and grilled chicken,

or I will add spicy grilled shrimp,

or for a change of pace, I love, love, love the Wegmans cooked chicken sausages (al fresco brand is also excellent if you don't live near a Wegmans), and I will broil one, slice it up, and add it to the veggies with some feta and Maple Grove balsamic vinaigrette.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    BUMPPPPP!
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Holly’s Vegan French Lentil Salad – Low Carb Version

Ingredients:
    Half of a 1 lb. bag of green, brown or French lentils
    3 cups chopped celery
    1 medium red onion, diced (about ½ to ¾ cup of onion, depending on how strong it is)
    1 tablespoon dried cranberries or raisins, diced/minced as tiny as possible
    1 large red apple and 1 large green apple, chopped very small

Vinaigrette:
    a drizzle of olive oil
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (or more as needed to wet the salad)
    A generous splash of lemon juice
    1 Tbsp. molasses (blackstrap is best, it has B vitamins and iron in it) – or maple syrup or honey
    1 Tbsp. strong mustard
    1 tsp. salt or soy sauce (soy sauce actually has more flavor)
    2 tsp. cracked black pepper
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. turmeric
    1/2 tsp. ground coriander (if you have it)
    ½ tsp ground cardamom (if you have it)
    1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper or ¼ teaspoon chili powder
    ¼ tsp. ground cloves
    1/8 teaspoon ground ginger, or more grated fresh ginger
    1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
    ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
    2 chopped garlic cloves, or 1 tsp. chopped garlic
    Fresh chopped parsley – as much as you like – I use a whole bunch. Or use dried parsley.

Optional add-ins:
    A teaspoon of anchovy paste, or canned anchovies chopped to a mush. Whisk into the vinaigrette.
    Cooked, chopped sweet or white potato (either way, add more of your favorite spices above)
    Capers, Arugula, Walnuts
    Goat, feta or blue cheese
    Grilled salmon, tuna or chicken.
    Whatever you like, but generally not carrots or peppers, which are too assertive in this salad.

Directions:
    1. Rinse lentils & drain. Place in a pot and cover with a 3-4 inches of water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Check lentils for doneness after 15 minutes, but they should take about 20 - 25 minutes in total. You will know they are cooked if they still retain a slight tooth – al dente. If you overcook the lentils you’ll have library paste, not salad.
    2. Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients in a large bowl.
    4. If you’ve tasted the lentils for doneness, drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process; drain well in a strainer. Add all the ingredients to the vinaigrette bowl and toss. Taste a sample and adjust the seasoning – you may want more black pepper, chili powder, garlic, or vinegar. Some crisp add-ins such as walnuts or greens shouldn’t be added until just before serving. Otherwise, this salad, if made vegetarian, can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, because the vinegar seems to keep it from spoiling.
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    the kind with tons of feta in it. i get fat free feta (35 cal) so i can use half the container in one salad.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    baby spinach
    carrots
    onion
    raisins or dried cranberries
    almonds or sunflower seeds
    and low cal poppyseed or vinagrette and if its my main meal, add some roasted chicken or salmon yummy!!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    A greek salad is always awesome! Here's my favorite recipe

http://www.barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=290&S=0

ETA: having some French bread to dip in the 'juice' that results from the dressing and vegetables all coalescing together is divine.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There's a pre-bagged lettuce called Butter Bliss, add red onion, Baby Bell cheese, grilled chicken and raspberry vinaigrette. I also like cucumber in salads but have yet to add it to the above mix.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    lemon chicken, mixed greens, light ranch/caesar, cheese, and onion! I like tuna instead of chicken too.