Who has started losing again after ADDING more calories?

Options
Please put my mind at ease..been stalled for 3 months...after looking into it..best option was to up calories(wasnt eating after exercise 1200 daily) I've gone with eating no less than BMR and if I exercise...I try to eat back that..shy of 100 calories....unless I go really high ..but that just doesnt happen with me!

I've started..and I am just really paranoid :indifferent: Sucess stories?? :love:

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1550 to 1650 depending on the calculator.

Normally I eat about 1400 a day. (Past 7 years or so).

When I try dieting, I lower that to 1100 to 1200 a day and add LOTS of cardio.

Results: Max weekly weight loss of 1 pound, then stall after 1 week. Every time. My weight has continued to slowly raise.

When I started eating closer to my BMR, now doing about 1500 to 1600 a day, with only going on walks, not jogging or elliptical etc, I lost 2.5lbs the first week of this.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1550 to 1650 depending on the calculator.

Normally I eat about 1400 a day. (Past 7 years or so).

When I try dieting, I lower that to 1100 to 1200 a day and add LOTS of cardio.

Results: Max weekly weight loss of 1 pound, then stall after 1 week. Every time. My weight has continued to slowly raise.

When I started eating closer to my BMR, now doing about 1500 to 1600 a day, with only going on walks, not jogging or elliptical etc, I lost 2.5lbs the first week of this.

This is GREEEAAAAAT news! Thank you :) I also..was doing a TON of cardio...1hr daily plus weight training.. I now have eased off that a bit.. only 3 times week...and 3 times weights..plus the boost in calories.. I'm just hoping I am not in for any surprises on that scale!! :blushing:
  • DanaDark
    Options
    The scale might go up in water weight. Don't fear that.

Be sure to get protein. Lots of it. 1 gram per pound of lean body mass! For me, that's about 110g a day! It is tough to do!

Oh, and with me eating more per day, I feel a TON better... for YEARS I would take a nap in the middle of the day. 1 hour long. I would be exhausted... the day after I upped my calories... I was not longer exhausted. It was almost instant for me. I haven't napped since! And with that extra hour, I take my walk!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So you reduced the exercise intensity, and from what you posted in another thread added a lot more protein to your diet ? am I keeping up....
  • DanaDark
    Options
    So you reduced the exercise intensity, and from what you posted in another thread added a lot more protein to your diet ? am I keeping up....

Exactly. My diet has always been of very healthy foods. Problem was simply not getting enough of them, especially protein... my standard diet was normally 70 to 90% carbohydrates (leafy greens, vegetables, fruits).

Now doing more of 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat.
  • Feisty_Red
    Options

Exactly. My diet has always been of very healthy foods. Problem was simply not getting enough of them, especially protein... my standard diet was normally 70 to 90% carbohydrates (leafy greens, vegetables, fruits).

My protein is usually about 150-200 grams a day....no problem on that intake ;)
  • yarwell
    Options

Cool, thanks.
    My protein is usually about 150-200 grams a day....no problem on that intake
    Seems excessive, your lean weight isn't that high. Maybe it is a problem.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Probably not - mine's the same, and I don't have any probelms...It will definitely not prevent weight loss.....
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Let me give you a scenario to think about. You're a body. You know that the tissue that burns the most calories is muscle and it burns 50 calories per day just sitting there. All of a sudden your food (calories) gets cut down to waaaay less than you need to even function. What do you think you're going to get rid of first? That's right...muscle. So here you are with 1 pound less muscle....which means your body is now burning 50 calories less per day than it was. That's 5 pounds per year LESS that your body is burning.

It doesn't matter how much protein you're taking in if it's not enough for your body to maintain its base processes.
  • Feisty_Red
    Options

Cool, thanks.

actually my lean weight is 172 :) if we go by this...which is what I have referenced in the past... ? Yes..you can do the math..I'm a large framed...tall girl ;)
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/171218-how-to-figure-out-lean-body-mass/
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    Let me give you a scenario to think about. You're a body. You know that the tissue that burns the most calories is muscle and it burns 50 calories per day just sitting there. All of a sudden your food (calories) gets cut down to waaaay less than you need to even function. What do you think you're going to get rid of first? That's right...muscle. So here you are with 1 pound less muscle....which means your body is now burning 50 calories less per day than it was. That's 5 pounds per year LESS that your body is burning.

It doesn't matter how much protein you're taking in if it's not enough for your body to maintain its base processes.

I have a very muscular build..and have been lucky enough to not appear(as of yet) to have lost any..nor do I want to lose it...Is BMR too low to try to hit? I'm tired of trying everything..I'm getting grumpy.. I just wish I knew the right number to stay healthy as I try to hit my goal weight..which isnt too far off...but it seems like it will never be lately!! I am happy with a small loss..I dont expect miracles.. ;) a pound a MONTH at this point..I would be jumping for joy!!
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did. It wasn't a big jump in calories, but I went from 1200 to about 1500. I went from losing 1 lb every other week or so to losing about 1.5 every week.

My theory on this is that eating that few calories made me generally less active. At 1500, I have tons of energy thereby burning more calories (I'm just guessing, really. :D )
  • yarwell
    Options
    Faced with a 3 month stall personally I would drop the protein from 30-35% of calories to about 25%, by increasing fats & oils, and restrict the "eating back" to half of the alleged exercise calories. I might do one of these at a time.

25% of calories from protein is still pretty high, so your bases are covered there.

http://home.exetel.com.au/surreality/health/A Review of Issues of Dietary Protein Intake in Humans.pdf is worth reading.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Your lean body mass is 172? What is your BMR, if you use one of those calculators that has body fat % as an input? It must be quite high. I wouldn't worry about eating under it.
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    I did. It wasn't a big jump in calories, but I went from 1200 to about 1500. I went from losing 1 lb every other week or so to losing about 1.5 every week.

My theory on this is that eating that few calories made me generally less active. At 1500, I have tons of energy thereby burning more calories (I'm just guessing, really. :D )

Good..that seems about where I was...but I am trying for a tad higher.. 1600-1700 min a day...Thank you for your input!
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    Your lean body mass is 172? What is your BMR, if you use one of those calculators that has body fat % as an input? It must be quite high. I wouldn't worry about eating under it.

If I go by those blanket calculator online..my BMR ranges from 1500-1700,,which is even more confusing..which is it? Again..I'm not petite(hah)

I dont know how accurate 172 is even? but that site I linked had a ton of measurement inputs. ;) So..even if I was more 150 range..thats about the protein I get..and its not fatty type either..whey protein I love and with some good greek yogurt...you can have a shake that puts out close to 70gm on it owns..thats what I drink after I lift...

and I have a hard time with BMI...I am still considered OBESE...but I cant be...if you seen my legs and arms..you'd understand ;) So..its hard to target my numbers.. Im a mess..haha
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    Faced with a 3 month stall personally I would drop the protein from 30-35% of calories to about 25%, by increasing fats & oils, and restrict the "eating back" to half of the alleged exercise calories. I might do one of these at a time.

25% of calories from protein is still pretty high, so your bases are covered there.

http://home.exetel.com.au/surreality/health/A Review of Issues of Dietary Protein Intake in Humans.pdf is worth reading.

I will check it out..Thank you so much for your input..I just want to do the right thing...and get the results I want...spinning my wheels in mud lately..and its not pretty :D
  • DanaDark
    Options
    I couldn't get his site to load, but I generally trust .edu and .gov sites for information over .com...

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/Protein.htm

Basically a sedimentary person that doesn't lift any weights needs around 0.8 g of protein per kg of body weight.

A person that goes to the gym needs around 1.7 to 1.8 per pound. Some body builders go as high as 3g per pound.

At 1.8g per kg, I come out to 112.5g of protein required (Weight lifting should be a part of every weight loss program). At a 30% of my calories, it is about 120g of protein. So, 112.5 vs 120g... I am dang near spot on!
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1100-1200 daily and stalled for 2 weeks after loosing 20 lbs. Started eating around 1500 and I'm loosing again.
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    I couldn't get his site to load, but I generally trust .edu and .gov sites for information over .com...

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/Protein.htm

Basically a sedimentary person that doesn't lift any weights needs around 0.8 g of protein per kg of body weight.

A person that goes to the gym needs around 1.7 to 1.8 per pound. Some body builders go as high as 3g per pound.

At 1.8g per kg, I come out to 112.5g of protein required (Weight lifting should be a part of every weight loss program). At a 30% of my calories, it is about 120g of protein. So, 112.5 vs 120g... I am dang near spot on!

Thank you for posting and taking the time to reply to me! It's a great help!