Who has started losing again after ADDING more calories?

Options

Replies

• ironicusername
    Options
    I have found that sticking to a calorie number religiously is the best way to plateau quickly. Your metabolism will get used to it and that will be that. The best thing to do is use your daily goal as a guideline and nothing more. I go well over my number fairly regularly and I don't have a problem at all with losing the weight. I never plateau unless I'm just all around eating more than I should. Feel free to add me and take a look at my food diary. =]
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight the past 3 weeks, I upped my cals by about 200 per day and I'm losing again.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    and I'm so happy to see not ONE person has said..ya..I up'ed my calories and GAINED GAINED GAINED :)
    they're out there, seen several postings to that effect.

ETA - they usually give up after 4 weeks though, as one would.

Are these people that have stalled? or just wanted more food.. I'm really trying to make the right decision here! Do you mean they give up eating higher and go back to the text book 1200 cals day?
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you everyone!!! :):):) This just made my day.. its all about mixing it up..and in the event it doesnt work? Then I know this isnt for me..and I try something else..right? groan ;)
  • ajclemons5
    ajclemons5 Posts: 22
    Options
    I agree...this seems to go against everything that's been programmed. I currently net 1200 - 1400 per day and haven't lost a pound in months. I've been concentrating on eating really clean, adding more strength training, and increasing my protein intake. I will try to increase my cals to 1600 - 1800 to see if that makes a diff. Another question...i've been having a hard time meeting my protein requirements (approx 150 g per day). What are some of your best sources that are low in fat/cals??

15182052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, when I eat more I do not lose more. For me, 3500 calories = a pound.

But I don't binge under any scenario or do 'cheat days' or under-track or change my activity level much, or feel deprived or lacking energy or any of that.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Me... however I also added more exercising to balance it out. I am still at about the same deficit as when I was eating 1100-1200 calories however I am eating around 1550-1650 now. I am not loosing weight though but body fat, fyi. My goal is body fat though not so much weight loss.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I've recently (last 3 weeks) upped my calories from @1300 to 1500-1700 with an emphasis on getting more protein (I was very low before), I've also changed up my cardio routine from steady state to HIIT's or interval training, also strength training. I can already see the difference!! I'm way less bloated, my clothes fit better and I have more energy (even my hair and skin look better!!). I'm on a scale boycott lol....I don't plan on weighing in for another couple of weeks. The scale can be a real mood killer for me. But I would say it's definitely working! Muffin top is smaller!
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    I agree...this seems to go against everything that's been programmed. I currently net 1200 - 1400 per day and haven't lost a pound in months. I've been concentrating on eating really clean, adding more strength training, and increasing my protein intake. I will try to increase my cals to 1600 - 1800 to see if that makes a diff. Another question...i've been having a hard time meeting my protein requirements (approx 150 g per day). What are some of your best sources that are low in fat/cals??

15182052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Some people hate this...but here...I go.. ;) whey protein powder...I dont leave home with out it... cup of Fage greek yogurt...2 scoops choc powder...1tsp peanut butter...cup ice... walla! chocolate p.butter shake...and protein? could be close or over 70gm depending.. and I am picky.. body fortress is good.. the ice really makes it takes so good...blend it up..and go :)
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    I've recently (last 3 weeks) upped my calories from @1300 to 1500-1700 with an emphasis on getting more protein (I was very low before), I've also changed up my cardio routine from steady state to HIIT's or interval training, also strength training. I can already see the difference!! I'm way less bloated, my clothes fit better and I have more energy (even my hair and skin look better!!). I'm on a scale boycott lol....I don't plan on weighing in for another couple of weeks. The scale can be a real mood killer for me. But I would say it's definitely working! Muffin top is smaller!

less muffin is always good :) thank you for helping me!!
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    and I'm so happy to see not ONE person has said..ya..I up'ed my calories and GAINED GAINED GAINED :)

Here's one - I've been up 3 lbs for 3 days in a row, after upping my calories from 1200 to 1500 about 3 weeks ago. All the success stories on this thread are motivating me to stick it out for another week, but I don't know if I can hold out any longer!
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    EVERYONE!

Fingers crossed...I'm included!!!
  • trudence1
    trudence1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I am still losing around the same amount I was before...never really stalled. I changed to be healthier in my weight loss. I went from 1200 to just over 1400 net. So I end up eating about 1700 because of eating back my exercise cals.
    Upping my calories didn't change what I was losing and I feel soooo much better; not so tired and grumpy.
  • Feisty_Red
    Options

Here's one - I've been up 3 lbs for 3 days in a row, after upping my calories from 1200 to 1500 about 3 weeks ago. All the success stories on this thread are motivating me to stick it out for another week, but I don't know if I can hold out any longer!

3 days...nah..skip that scale!! I can hold 3 pounds of water in one day!!
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    There is a group called Eat More to Weigh Less ... you may want to check it out, lots of people have had success doing this.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Are these people that have stalled? or just wanted more food.. I'm really trying to make the right decision here! Do you mean they give up eating higher and go back to the text book 1200 cals day?
    Some were stalled, got the EM2WL message to eat more and gained. IMHO the whole EM2WL thing is entirely about "just wanted more food" so I suspect someone who says they went from 1200 and being bitter and twisted to eating 1400 and losing 1.5 lbs/week is not telling us that they also stopped the 500 calorie binges that meant they are actually eating less than they were despite the higher target.

I don't have the full stories, those who gained are usually saying "tried that, didn't work, now what".

Let's face it, nobody ever appeared on a clinical trial and failed to lose weight at a calorie deficit - if they did they were thrown off the trial for non-compliance. It's a pity nobody has done a study of stalled people other than TV shows like "Secret Eaters".

I'm open minded and if you're stuck try whatever you fancy. 500 calories per day of extra food for a month isn't going to put on more than 10 lbs in total so there's a limit to the downside. I have never found exercise a big deal in weight loss, so I would be equally happy to drop exercise as to eat more - if a calorie is a calorie the effect should be the same.

Good luck with the n=1 experiment !
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    Me... however I also added more exercising to balance it out. I am still at about the same deficit as when I was eating 1100-1200 calories however I am eating around 1550-1650 now. I am not loosing weight though but body fat, fyi. My goal is body fat though not so much weight loss.

Your tummy is rockin!! :)))
  • poppyloganriley
    poppyloganriley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I stalled out for a few weeks and then upped my calories just by 150 calories a day, and the weight loss picked up again, thankfully. Nothing extreme, but the way it was when I first started. I went from 1200 calories, losing 18 lbs in 6 weeks, lost nothing for two weeks, and just started with the 1350 calories last week and lost another 2 lbs (what I was averaging before).

Good luck!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    A month ago when I crossed 195 lbs I started eating more. I currently eat at least 2,500 cals, and changed the nature of my work outs to favor muscle growth. I'm getting a lot more protean to support the lifting. I gained 4 lbs - which I'm certain was mostly water weight due to muscle inflamation. Now I'm losing weight very slowly, and it appears all the weight loss is now fat with no lean body mass loss.
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    [/quote
    Are these people that have stalled? or just wanted more food.. I'm really trying to make the right decision here! Do you mean they give up eating higher and go back to the text book 1200 cals day? [/quote] Some were stalled, got the EM2WL message to eat more and gained. IMHO the whole EM2WL thing is entirely about "just wanted more food" so I suspect someone who says they went from 1200 and being bitter and twisted to eating 1400 and losing 1.5 lbs/week is not telling us that they also stopped the 500 calorie binges that meant they are actually eating less than they were despite the higher target.

I don't have the full stories, those who gained are usually saying "tried that, didn't work, now what".

Let's face it, nobody ever appeared on a clinical trial and failed to lose weight at a calorie deficit - if they did they were thrown off the trial for non-compliance. It's a pity nobody has done a study of stalled people other than TV shows like "Secret Eaters".

I'm open minded and if you're stuck try whatever you fancy. 500 calories per day of extra food for a month isn't going to put on more than 10 lbs in total so there's a limit to the downside. I have never found exercise a big deal in weight loss, so I would be equally happy to drop exercise as to eat more - if a calorie is a calorie the effect should be the same.

Good luck with the n=1 experiment !
    [/quote

Thank you..and I totally agree! We dont know exactly what anyone else is eating..but at least...in my case..I have 5 kids...and I honestly dont have time for faking this crap to get attention.. I know what I am eating...and I know I am not losing..is it my body is pissed and holding it? Or bulloks..do I have to even eat less?... We shall see soon enough...Thank you for helping me! It means a lot to this frustated girlie!!!