Online dating??

Options

Replies

• VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend over myspace. We didn't live too far from each other so we would just meet up and hang out. At first he gave me a good impression, but I just took it day by day to see how it went between us. Some of the dates we went on I thought maybe it wouldn't work out. But the more we dated and I saw how great of a person he was I noticed too that we all have out bad days. 6 months of dating before we got together and now we've been together a little over 3 years. Starting to talk about marriage too. Everyone has their weak points but I say atleast do 2-3 dates with the same person before judging. Sometimes they could be just as nervous as you on a first date.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    met plenty of weirdos on dating sites, but also many people who are still very dear friends even when relationships didn't work out.

also met my fiancé on a dating site. we've been together three years now.

it's what you make of it...and patience enough to wade through the inevitable crazies ;o)
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Bump to read through this later because I'm considering giving online dating a try (again)...it's just so hard to meet single guys when every one of your friends is married and has kids! I did match.com about 8 years ago and it was just one one-night stand after the next (don't judge). Not what I'm looking for now.

I'm sold on this whole online dating thing now. I'm signing up for Match.com tonight!
  • missattitude57
    Options
    Met my hubby online and so did my sister using plentyoffish.com...my best friend from highschool met her hubby online as well in another country! So yes there are a lot of creepers out there but there are good guys too :) hubby and I have been married for almost 9 months and together for 3.5 years :)

Then again...I tried signing up for eharmony and after taking their hours long survey thing it told me there were no compatible matches for me!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I've used online dating! Never met anyone.

I think if you're single and living in situations where it's not easy to meet new people then online dating is a viable option.

For example, for many years I lived in an area so remote there were like 100 people! Tops. Eventually I moved to a more populace area but while I lived in my remote little place online dating was a good method to meet people.
  • PrettyInChiTown
    Options
    I have bad luck too!! I was on a dating website and the one guy that I went out on a date with had this weird growth on the back of his neck...at first I didnt notice cause he had a hat on. But it grossed be out so bad!! I told my friend I wanted to cut it off with a hot blade!! Hahha!! Dont give up! You'll find someone!!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine dating sites have to have a higher concentration of the socially awkward. If they weren't they would have had more success meeting someone day to day. Though I can also imagine those that just don't have the time to meet someone, but I believe these to be the minority, and in pictures taken from the right angles, indistinguishable from the creeps.

I disagree.

I work with a lot of people that are older than me. By decades. And I'm 31. I'm not going to meet someone at a bar, and I had no single friends with single friends of their own for me to meet.
  • gromithere
    gromithere Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've had decent luck in meeting some great women online. I've met as many weirdos and crazies in "real life" as I have online, so it all evens out. :laugh:

In all reality though, it does seem like you women have it tougher than guys do from all the stories I've heard. :noway:
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Bump to read through this later because I'm considering giving online dating a try (again)...it's just so hard to meet single guys when every one of your friends is married and has kids! I did match.com about 8 years ago and it was just one one-night stand after the next (don't judge). Not what I'm looking for now.

I'm sold on this whole online dating thing now. I'm signing up for Match.com tonight!

:laugh:
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on a dating site and I couldn't be happier. We literally are perfect for each other. We talked for awhile, then talked on the phone and then met after a couple months.Our first date was over 5 hours long-we felt so comfortable with each other that we lost track of time as we were drinking coffee..

But yes, you DO have to be careful (obviously) and you'll meet some idiots but then again, you could meet the perfect one. Exactly like what could happen at a bar/out with friends. What are you going to lose? Like a few others have said, the ones that you have to pay for are better (at least from what I've gone through) .
  • halloweeny_bride27
    halloweeny_bride27 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I met my FH on craigslist 3.5 years ago. We are getting married in October. His tagline was "chain smoking leftist muscian" I am not aware if people judge us for how we met but who cares what they think anyway. (he has since quit smoking lol)

He is a great match for me and we would never have met otherwise (though we did have some random friends in common) I was intriuged by his ovbious intelligence that came across through email (and happily he was not scared away by my poor grammer and spelling) we talked via email for a month then on the phone, then we met in person.

I met a bunch of wicked sketchy creeps before him including one guy who was talking about marriage after TWO phone conversations (the fact that i am half jewish really did it for him) Another guy took me to a movie and paid with a gift certificate (which is just tacky in my opinion) and then at dinner he had food all over his face.

You need to be careful and use common sense and make sure other people know about it if you are going on a date. It's a long shot but there great people are out there and sometimes you get lucky. I personaly believe in fate and that you will meet the right person when you are meant to.

Good Luck!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    have you tried myfitnesspal.com?

^ this.

I met my BF of almost a year and a half on here. We commented on some of the same threads, started emailing, became "friends", then facebook friends, etc. it just progressed. One of these days I will convince him to marry me. We talk about it, he just isn't ready yet.

ETA: It was lucky that we only live about 17 miles apart :love:
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I've met as many weirdos and crazies in "real life" as I have online, so it all evens out. :laugh:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I am married and met my husband because he got stood up by a girl he met on an online site. LOL. But anyway, if I was single I would definitely go that route. It would be very difficult to meet people otherwise...unless you like trolling bars.

I know a girl who has been married for four years and met her husband on e-harmony.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I was just curious about people's thoughts on dating websites. Do you look down on couples that say that they met online? Have you used a dating website before? How was your experience? I'm not gonna lie, I was on a dating site for a couple weeks, went on 4 dates and then deleted my profile due to my strange experiences lol. I thought I had found a half way decent guy and he took me to a sex store after dinner hahaha. Ummm....NOT OK!!! I also met a guy who was a good foot shorter than what his profile said. NOT JOKING. He was shorter than me and I'm only 5'2!!! lol The third date went ok but the next day the guy texted me LITERALLY 20 times while I was at work and since I didn't answer he emailed me AND sent me a message on facebook asking what he did wrong. NEXT lol The final guy I met up with just wanted to sit in my car and talk. SERIOUSLY? That was the point where I decided that I needed to delete my profile lol Anyway, that was just my experience with online dating. Anyone have success with it? Is it completely hopeless or do I just have bad luck?

I have met most of my BFs from 1999 until now online. Most were nice, I had some crazy dates that I wish i had not had but it didn't dicourage me. When my exhusband (who I met on Match) got divorced, I tried again. The firat date a disaster! I had set up a date with another guy before that one went sour and I postponed it thinking; I may cancel all together as it seemed I wasn't ready. I did go out with him a couple of nights later and now, 3 years and 2 months later, we are living together and I know for sure that i met my soulmate that night. He is absolutely perfect, for me!

Never give up and spend some reral time chatting online before you meet. Make sure they know, it's okay to mention flaws. It just means they are honest.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i've met a few guys online.. not websites though.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Try an online gaming site.
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I met my husband 6 years ago on a dating site! I was a little sketched about it, too, and did not admit to a lot of people how we met. I feel most of the stigma has vanished, as it is a very common way for people to connect these days! I am sorry you had some creepers, but what are the chances you'd go on 4 dates with non-creepers? most guys are;)
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have just because it was hard for me to randomly strike up a conversation. Met some people that I didn't hit it off with, some that were straight up psycho, and some decent people that I'm still on a friendly basis with. Met my husband online in 2002, been married since 2005.
  • halligan13
    Options
    MY SISTER INLAW IS MARRYING HER ONLINE MATE. ITS FUNNY THOUGH CAUSE HE IS LIKE 3 FEET TALLER THAN HER. MANY PEOPLE HAVE GREAT EXPERIENCES USING THE ONLINE DATING SITES. OR ELSE YOU COULD BE THAT GUY OR GIRL WHO IS 30 YEARS OLD HANGING OUT IN THE CLUB SCENE THAT CATERS TO 20 YEAR OLDS ASKING YOURSELF WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED.......