Online dating??

Options

Replies

• LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I met my husband 6 years ago on a dating site! I was a little sketched about it, too, and did not admit to a lot of people how we met. I feel most of the stigma has vanished, as it is a very common way for people to connect these days! I am sorry you had some creepers, but what are the chances you'd go on 4 dates with non-creepers? most guys are;)

Yep. I just made **** up about how we met till awhile back I admitted to my best buds how we met, and they didn't give me crap for it. I don't really care (anymore). It's not like I'm married to what other people think.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

Then again...I tried signing up for eharmony and after taking their hours long survey thing it told me there were no compatible matches for me!

I signed up for eharmony as a last ditch after no success on POF, they prided theirselves on only finding perfect matches for you. After the long sign up I had about 300 matches, NO different than any other site AND in my experience it was the SAME GUYS!!

I was about to give up all together and my now boyfriend (of 6 months) messaged me on POF.
  • anberlingasm
    anberlingasm Posts: 177
    Options
    I met my wife three and a half years ago on Okcupid. It was free and relatively creep-free as well. We're now married and planning a baby so it worked for us.

Meeting people online is no different and no more risky than dating anywhere else. A guy in a club is just as likely to be a creep than a guy online.
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I MET MY BOYFRIEND ONLINE AND I AM THE LUCKIEST LADY IN THE WORLD. HE LOVES ME FOR ME. HE ACTUALLY JUST BOUGHT MY ENGAGEMENT RING BUT HAS NOT OFFICALLY POPPED THE QUESTION YET. ONLINE DATING IS MORE MAINSTREAM. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE CAREFUL BECAUSE AS WE ALL KNOW THERE ARE MANY CRAZIES OUT THERE. AS LEAST NONE OF US REPLIED TO MR HOLMES AD
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I once met a girl in the city from POF, and she showed up dressed as a snake.

So serious.
  • mcedes02
    mcedes02 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Met my hubby online in a yahoo chat room.As we talked we realize. he went to school w my childhood best friend who had moved out of state when I was 12. 8yra and 2 kids later we r still going strong. There r some real weirdos out there to lok out for. Just be careful. But then their r creeps and weirdos everywhere.
  • Jfrerichs
    Jfrerichs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Met my hubby on line before on-line dating was really a thing. It was actually an AOL chat room. We have been married 14 years (together for almost 17).
  • clarisane
    clarisane Posts: 1
    Options
    Nothing wrong with online dating i did it for the first time going on a year ago and meet the man of my dreams....
    Still with him......Go for it.!:smile:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I was just curious about people's thoughts on dating websites. Do you look down on couples that say that they met online? Have you used a dating website before? How was your experience? I'm not gonna lie, I was on a dating site for a couple weeks, went on 4 dates and then deleted my profile due to my strange experiences lol. I thought I had found a half way decent guy and he took me to a sex store after dinner hahaha. Ummm....NOT OK!!! I also met a guy who was a good foot shorter than what his profile said. NOT JOKING. He was shorter than me and I'm only 5'2!!! lol The third date went ok but the next day the guy texted me LITERALLY 20 times while I was at work and since I didn't answer he emailed me AND sent me a message on facebook asking what he did wrong. NEXT lol The final guy I met up with just wanted to sit in my car and talk. SERIOUSLY? That was the point where I decided that I needed to delete my profile lol Anyway, that was just my experience with online dating. Anyone have success with it? Is it completely hopeless or do I just have bad luck?

I won't go into detail, but I didn't have a very good experience with it either. I don't think it's worth the money. The only person I met, with whom I seemed to have anything in common, lives all the way on the other side of the country. I've deleted my account on the dating site, but he and I are still friends on FB. We seem to be so compatible that I'm often sad we are so far apart. We've never met in person, though, so I have no idea what our chemistry would be like. That being said, I don't think I'll ever try online dating again.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I've only done online dating, really, because it's REALLY hard to find tall men in this area just walking around. I'm talking my height or taller, and I'm 6'1". Going online means you can find some of those guys that are taller and want someone more compatible than the shorties the meet all the time.

I meet 3-5 people a year, from various online venues. My last serious relationship was from OK Cupid, and he was an amazing man.

I don't get weirded out though. I have a set of steps I have developed over the last 12 years that usually work out the "baddies". If a man makes it through all the stages, he's usually at least good for a fun hang out. I haven't had a BAD experience in several years now.

The #1 thing I remember is that people that are on online dating sites are usually there for a reason. Some because they are really shy... Others, because they don't want to be judged on their body... Others still because they make horrible first impressions, or are really nerdy, or any number of other things that can create hurdles when meeting in a public place as strangers.

Me, I use it for the height thing and to encourage my partners to decide my attractiveness based on the content of my character, not the content of my clothes so to speak.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Every single crazy-stalker-psychopath that I have ever had the displeasure of spending more than 5 minutes with, I met on a dating site. One guy that I "thought" might be okay because we clicked was the worst. First of all, when I saw him, I then knew why he always had on a hat in his pictures...he had a growth the size of a golfball sticking out of his head. I didn't want to be a vain, shallow, b!tch, so I still went out on a date. We both liked karaoke, so went to the bar where he sipped on diet coke....except for when he went to the bathroom (I thought he had an itty-bitty bladder at first). Turned out that every time he went to go tinkle, he'd swing by the bar and kick back a couple of shots....liquid courage, right? Well, unbenownst to me, I got into the car with a drunk driver who then proceeded to hit a parked car because he wasn't paying attention. I ended up in the ER with whiplash, and from the airbag a black eye and split lip and he went to jail. Took me three months and a restraining order to get rid of him because he just knew that we were "soulmates". uuuuuhhh....no buddy....we are not.
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    Options
    I was just curious about people's thoughts on dating websites. Do you look down on couples that say that they met online? Have you used a dating website before? How was your experience? I'm not gonna lie, I was on a dating site for a couple weeks, went on 4 dates and then deleted my profile due to my strange experiences lol. I thought I had found a half way decent guy and he took me to a sex store after dinner hahaha. Ummm....NOT OK!!! I also met a guy who was a good foot shorter than what his profile said. NOT JOKING. He was shorter than me and I'm only 5'2!!! lol The third date went ok but the next day the guy texted me LITERALLY 20 times while I was at work and since I didn't answer he emailed me AND sent me a message on facebook asking what he did wrong. NEXT lol The final guy I met up with just wanted to sit in my car and talk. SERIOUSLY? That was the point where I decided that I needed to delete my profile lol Anyway, that was just my experience with online dating. Anyone have success with it? Is it completely hopeless or do I just have bad luck?

I met my husband online. :heart:
    Although I've been told I was lucky. He was the first person I spoke with and the only one I went out with. It was nice because we knew we were compatible based on the test we took. :love:
  • Missy0224
    Missy0224 Posts: 29
    Options
    Met my fiance (getting married in November) on Singlesnet.com almost 4 years ago. When I met him I felt like I'd known him for years.
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Options
    Met my hubby online - had our 5 yr anniv this year. Had ALOT of icky creeps to weed through though. Like others have said....meet in a public place, don't take them back to your place for a while, talk on the phone first. I didn't always do this and it didn't always turn out great. Nuff said. Better to be overly cautious than regretful later on.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I met my hubby online, but not on a dating site, we both had webtv (back in April 1999) . we met in a chat room,eventually started talking on the phone and letters (written and sent in the mail..lol) .. fast forward October 2, 1999 we met in person, October 3rd, he asked me to move in with him, and October 7th 1999 I moved from Louisiana to Florida ( we married April 14,2001) . I couldn't be happier ..

neither 1 was looking and when we met, it was as friends, but feelings developed, so when we met face to face, something was just there that I never felt b4 (though I have had crushes/puppy love) ...
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Bump to read through this later because I'm considering giving online dating a try (again)...it's just so hard to meet single guys when every one of your friends is married and has kids! I did match.com about 8 years ago and it was just one one-night stand after the next (don't judge). Not what I'm looking for now.

I'm sold on this whole online dating thing now. I'm signing up for Match.com tonight!

How YOU doin'? :laugh:
  • MegdKel
    MegdKel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on eHarmony in March of 2010, we were married April 16th, 2011 and he has been the biggest blessing of my life - love that man! I had a couple weird experiences before him - you just have to keep your eyes open, and be cautious!
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine dating sites have to have a higher concentration of the socially awkward. If they weren't they would have had more success meeting someone day to day. Though I can also imagine those that just don't have the time to meet someone, but I believe these to be the minority, and in pictures taken from the right angles, indistinguishable from the creeps.

I disagree.

I work with a lot of people that are older than me. By decades. And I'm 31. I'm not going to meet someone at a bar, and I had no single friends with single friends of their own for me to meet.

Exactly the same situation I'm in.
  • PatByrne82
    PatByrne82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Met my Fiance on a dating site. Everyone around us knows that.
    If someone asks where we met i tell them
    I've no shame in it at all.
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I met my OH on a normal chat site,
    I didnt have any condifence and so i spoke to various guys never met them just liked the banter and talking really male attention etc, Then started speaking to 'Ben' and we spoke alot online anyway I was shopping in town and walked past the shop he said he worked and poked my head in to see if I could see him ( we exchanged pics) and didnt want to get caught but he seen me i went shy and walked out LOL... I got home to an email I still have saved that said 'hey I thought you said you look worse in person than your pics - unless that wasnt you you lied to me'
    and yea he gavee me all my confidence - now i just need body to go with it.