What's your grocery/other food bill like?

Options

Replies

• waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am really impressed with how low people can keep their grocery bills. I don't know if I'm crazy or just too honest, but for 2 adults, 3 teenagers, 2 ranch hands (adults for breakfast and lunch 5 days a week), and numerous friends of "said" teenage sons, I spend $1500-1800 a month. NOT including pet food. You don't even want me going down that road! We live in the middle of nowhere on a working ranch so I don't shop around.... I do big shops twice a month. We don't buy a lot of junk or processed food and only go out to eat about twice a month. I also pack my boys lunches when school in because school lunches are junk!

We eat very well and a lot of healthy food, but the men and boys around here work their butts off and can take down a tremendous amount of food! Dang, I spend $50.00 on milk alone in a month... can't imagine spending that for a week of food!

It makes a difference on how hard they are working and the calories they need. Like my husband can eat a huge amount of food, but he burns a ton of calories at work. I probably spend about $32 a month on milk, that's 2 gallons a week and 1 quart? of almond milk a week. But one of the gallons of milk is chocolate because my son is completely addicted to it. He's special needs, so I don't fight it.

Plus with you living out in "the middle of nowhere" you're grocery prices are probably higher. When I lived in New Mexico...in a tiny, tiny town, everything was way expensive compared to Michigan.
  • fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am really impressed with how low people can keep their grocery bills. I don't know if I'm crazy or just too honest, but for 2 adults, 3 teenagers, 2 ranch hands (adults for breakfast and lunch 5 days a week), and numerous friends of "said" teenage sons, I spend $1500-1800 a month. NOT including pet food. You don't even want me going down that road! We live in the middle of nowhere on a working ranch so I don't shop around.... I do big shops twice a month. We don't buy a lot of junk or processed food and only go out to eat about twice a month. I also pack my boys lunches when school in because school lunches are junk!

We eat very well and a lot of healthy food, but the men and boys around here work their butts off and can take down a tremendous amount of food! Dang, I spend $50.00 on milk alone in a month... can't imagine spending that for a week of food!

It makes a difference on how hard they are working and the calories they need. Like my husband can eat a huge amount of food, but he burns a ton of calories at work. I probably spend about $32 a month on milk, that's 2 gallons a week and 1 quart? of almond milk a week. But one of the gallons of milk is chocolate because my son is completely addicted to it. He's special needs, so I don't fight it.

Plus with you living out in "the middle of nowhere" you're grocery prices are probably higher. When I lived in New Mexico...in a tiny, tiny town, everything was way expensive compared to Michigan.

About the chocolate milk, you should get him plain milk and add Ovaltine because it does have all those nutrients and vitamins, which is an added bonus to his chocolate milk addiction :laugh:
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Depends; range is about $400-$600/month for 2 adults. We buy a lot of organic product, organic free range eggs, local grass-fed beef and bison, fancy cheeses, etc.

I think it depends so much on your area and your diet. We used to live in northern Canada in a fairly remote place, and would easily spend $800/month and get far less nutrition (wilted veggies, no free range eggs etc). Canada also has different food subsidies so things in Canada vs. the US are priced differently (and I assume there are state to state variances too?).
  • kattymatt
    kattymatt Posts: 20
    Options
    For myself, my husband, and our dog usually $20/week.
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    Low, and lower since starting to eat clean. $50 or less per week. I did the Food Stamp Challenge budget ($3 per day) for Lent and it was easier than I thought it would be, but I really had to put in work, thought, and planning.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    $400 a month for 3 adults and we never get it right...:sad:
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a fam of 4 total. We spend about $350 - $400 a month or so on food.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    500 a month for food/formula that feeds a family of 4.
  • Welshie_girl
    Welshie_girl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I hate NJ.... Around700 / month for family of 3
  • TheUglyFriend
    Options
    I cook every night, have my son and roommate and our food bill is about 100-150 per week depending on what we decide to buy and how fancy the dish is.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    My husband is military... so we get paid 1st and 15th... we are a family of 6....we spend 400 - 500 per pay day....
    so any where from 800- 1000 a month on groceries alone...
    It breaks my heart every "grocery" day lmao...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Family of 5: two adults, 3 1/2 yo, 2 yo, 7 mo. (The kids eat more than you would think.)

I spend $120-150/week on groceries. I shop at Trader Joe's, the majority of our food is organic. I plan all our meals ahead of time and shop once a week. I've had extra money lately, so we've been eating out a little more often, but it's not something I track.

We spend $80 on diapers and wipes about every 2 months, about $40 a month on training pants, $35 a month on cleaning products and children's toiletries, maybe $20 a month on adult toiletries. (Diapers, wipes, cleaning products, and children's toiletries are all purchased through The Honest Company. They are all natural, organic, they work great, and are really affordable!)
  • Kalliejc
    Kalliejc Posts: 36
    Options
    Oh my gosh, these amounts seem so low!! I'm a single mom to a 4 year old little girl and we spend $300/mo just on groceries. Laundry detergent, trash bags, toilet paper, etc. is extra. But, it's kind of an outlet for me. I work two jobs and go to school full time, so we don't get out and do much.......cooking is my comfort.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Low, and lower since starting to eat clean. $50 or less per week. I did the Food Stamp Challenge budget ($3 per day) for Lent and it was easier than I thought it would be, but I really had to put in work, thought, and planning.

What is this?! Would love to try!!!
  • Lambeze
    Lambeze Posts: 237
    Options
    I coupon so I pay about $50 every two weeks. :D
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    geeze i I WISH mine was $100!!!

For me, my husband and 2 boys it's about $300/wk, and we eat out once a week. That includes diapers and such too.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    We spend around $500-$600 a month. Close to $100 on my supplements, sports drinks, protein bars... crap like that. About $200 of it is on fruits and vegis though. about $50 on fish. The rest on beef, poltary, quick meals and stuff the kids dig.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    my bf and i spend about $100 a month. about $60 on groceries and $40 on eating out.
  • kattymatt
    kattymatt Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow. I didn't realize what I spend is the same as a food stamp budget. Kind of a bummer thinking about it like that since I don't get food stamps. Oh well. It is difficult thinking outside of ramen.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Forgot how much it is....we have two people who contribute to grocery bill. A third one does WHEN she has money.

Part of the cost, though is because we have one family member who insists on having some meat for dinner, plus he's fussy about what veggies he'll eat. Getting him to try ANYTHING new takes an Act of Congress. It took years for him to even consider trying oriental food.