Dress Code

Options

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Option 3: I would be thankful for my job and not whine about something as trivial as a dress code.

I asked other people to share their ridiculous dress codes and shared mine. No need to be catty! meow

girl you know there is always one.......................
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    In my office we aren't allowed to wear spaghetti strap tops or flip flops which is fair enough as neither are really smart. But we can wear thicker vest tops and smart sandals which aren't really that different. I find dress codes a little old fashioned, and think making men wear ties is stupid, but it's not the end of the world. Right now I'm just grateful to have a secure job.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I work in a place that requires everyone to wear uniforms everyday... whats up with that?? lol

God Bless the US Air Force!!!

:)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think that's a matter of professionalism rather than prudishness.
    More like pettiness rather than professionalism... professionalism would say to not wear ratty clothing...
    There are things that are inappropriate for the workplace whether they are ratty or not. Sleeveless blouses are fine with me, but then people will interpret that to mean they can wear low-cut camisoles instead of blouses. There has to be a line, unfortunately.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yup... they make me wear this uniform thing... it's something like camoflage... and boots... and if I'm outside I have to wear a hat, too!!!

Oh yeah... I'm in the military!!!! LMAO!!! :tongue:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    So get a new job. It's a free country.

So cavalier for you to say that. Been paying attention to the economy? Getting a job is difficult. She has the right to complain.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Some people abuse dress code policies, so stricter dress codes have to be implemented. The worst dress code I ever had was when I worked in healthcare. We had to order hot pink suits with black buttons down the front. Had to wear pantyhose and black shoes. The suits were horrid.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think 'no shoulders' is just a more tasteful way of stating 'for the love of god, stop showing your bra straps'. I don't think I've worked anywhere with a dress code. But then my only jobs have been in marketing, admin for a marketing team, and trendy bookstores.

Funnily enough, all three jobs have had me dressing similarly - lots of black, statement jewellery, great haircut and Camper shoes sourced from your last trip to Europe. At least, that's where the all the other hipsters claimed they bought theirs; mine just come from the intarwebs!
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i wish our company would enforce the dress code more. I work for a larger company that deals with many people of many nationalities. I'm sorry, but how you dress and hold yourself reflect the image of the company. When people come in to work in clothes that i wouldn't wear to a club (both men and women)..or they wear clothes that don't fit (the big lady down the hall that wears to small a top so her belly button hair hangs out....it bothers me. Maybe i'm just being prudish, but i think it's just common professionalism.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I work in a business professional environment, where only this spring open toe shoes were permitted. I am finally permitted to go without stockings or pantyhose. I have to have my shoulders covered and I must have a jacket if I go to a meeting at another site.

I don't mind. All the men have to wear ties. It looks good, people realize they are at work and act like it. My boss wears a suit, as does his boss, who goes a bit over the top with the suspenders.. funky socks and flashy ties!!

If that is the rule where you work, you really only have a few options. Go along.. or move along!
    :) Good luck!
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think that's a matter of professionalism rather than prudishness.

What is so unprofessional about sleeveless blouse?

Some people would take it too far--think spaghetti straps versus a sleeveless blouse. Rather than try to differentiate the "appropriate" amount of coverage, it's easiest to write a policy making the discussion moot. Similarly, I worked at a firm that would not allow open-toe shoes because they did not want to differentiate between strappy dress shoes and sandals. Same place also required pantyhose for the first couple years I was there...until enough women pointed out that it's really rather unbearable in the summer when it hits 100 degrees outside.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So get a new job. It's a free country.

So cavalier for you to say that. Been paying attention to the economy? Getting a job is difficult. She has the right to complain.

That difficulty is precisely why one should *not* complain about their job.
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I wear what I want to my job! Yay shoulders showing. I look super cute and have a great attitude unlike some people that may dress more "professional" but have HORRIBLE attitude!

I hate going into a business where they look good and have awful customer service skills/unprofessional attitude. I would rather someone who dresses however they like and have a nice professional attitude.
  • ML512RFA
    ML512RFA Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I actually had a boss tell me I had to wear a bra! (my uniform was a t-shirt under a uniform dress shirt ...no visible nipples) I told him there were plenty of guys with larger breasts than me and when they started wearing them, I would too! LOL
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My job has a dress code and I'm okay with it for the most part. What is your job, exactly?

I work in a restaurant and we have to have our hair pulled up if it is shoulder length or longer, we have to wear thick polo shirts in the summer (they are black) and white long-sleeve oxford dress shirts in the winter with ties. At all times we wear black pants, black shoes and a full length apron. Personally, I hate the full apron and would be happier with a half apron, as I know most of my coworkers would.

Would I love to wear a t-shirt? Absolutely, but the only time we were allowed was when the St. Louis Cardinals were in the post season and then only when they were actually playing a game. (obviously I live in MO) Would I love to be able to wear shorts? Of course! But working in a restaurant it is smarter to wear clothes that cover your skin so as to minimize burns, among other things.

I have always worked where there was a SET dress code, so I am not really bothered by it. You can go ahead and whine, but it seems kind of petty to me....but that is just me.

If I had my way my coworkers would be required to tuck their shirts in and when wearing the white oxfords to have the sleeves all the way down with the cuffs buttoned and the neck buttoned and the tie where it should be worn, so I guess they are glad I'm not the boss.

Is is all THAT important that your shoulders are showing or is it just how you like to dress? There are places that I go to clean and we are given a dress code as to what is inappropriate to wear for cleaning...which includes shorts and tank tops.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    We have a dress code policy, but it's not really enforced. We are supposed to wear nice, non-ratty clothes, no jeans, no tennis shoes, no flip flops, but can be 'business casual' (men are supposed to wear collared shirts).

I work in IT and from where I'm sitting I can count 5 people wearing jeans, most with tennis shoes, and I'm wearing sandals that 'flip flop' (but not the cheapo flip flops you'd see at the beach).

As long as we are not meeting with a customer or vendor, we are pretty much over looked.

Oh, and I wear sleeveless shirts almost every day in the summer. Dressy ones, but sleeveless.
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think it just takes one slob or slutty dresser to ruin it for everyone....so companies have to keep that in mind and steer toward a more conservative look.

I'm a teacher in a very casual school. I was very surpized at the lax dress code when I started there. Capris, flip flops, sneakers, one blue jean day each week (if not more), etc... I figure as long as I don't look any slouchier (because that's a word?) than the female principal then I'm alright. But there have been a few female teachers sent home for being too revealing.... skirt too short or too much cleavage.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I wear what I want to my job! Yay shoulders showing. I look super cute and have a great attitude unlike some people that may dress more "professional" but have HORRIBLE attitude!

I hate going into a business where they look good and have awful customer service skills/unprofessional attitude. I would rather someone who dresses however they like and have a nice professional attitude.
    Those are not the only two options.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I actually had a boss tell me I had to wear a bra! (my uniform was a t-shirt under a uniform dress shirt ...no visible nipples) I told him there were plenty of guys with larger breasts than me and when they started wearing them, I would too! LOL
    Easy solution, just tell him you are wearing one. It's not like he can check.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I think 'no shoulders' is just a more tasteful way of stating 'for the love of god, stop showing your bra straps'.

"No visible bra straps" is also in our dress code SOP separately.