Dress Code

Options

Replies

• EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    What is so unprofessional about sleeveless blouse?

SKIN!

I work for a fortune 500 company in the D.C area...Where my company has a lot of Government contracts...Our HR department Lead Manager is very old fashion...she has this thing about showing too much skin....She feels it's unprofessional...especially when you are around a lot of clients in suits and stuff.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't really care what people wear around me so guess I can understand your frustration. However putting myself in their shoes (depending on the company) it's hard to draw that line. I work for a large corporation (and we have clients and visitors come in here frequently) so they try to keep a business casual dress code. It's still subjective ... and everyone has their own view of what is appropriate or not. On Fridays some departments allow jeans ... that's when you really see it vary! :) ... some have jeans and a nice button down shirt or top, and then some walk in looking like they're ready to tailgate lol ...

I get the professional perspective ... you walk into negotiations with multiple parties and you want to make sure you dress nice. However what is "nice"? ... it's all subjective ...

I guess the "hard lines" like "no shoulders" make it easier to draw the line ... 20 years ago I would be wearing a coat and tie here ...
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Jeans, t-shirts and tennis shoes! Love my job! However, no shorts or sandals. I can live with it!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    So get a new job. It's a free country.

So cavalier for you to say that. Been paying attention to the economy? Getting a job is difficult. She has the right to complain.

That difficulty is precisely why one should *not* complain about their job.

You remind me of a mosquito.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have no problems with my office dress code. It's business casual, but they're very lenient. I could wear blue jeans and a t-shirt/spaghetti strap everyday if I wanted to, but I choose to dress in business casual attire because it's just more professional looking. We have a lot of public visitors where I work and I don't want people to think I'm a slob. I'd actually welcome a job that required me to wear dressier clothes, they'd also have to pay me a bit more money, too. ;)

Because Fridays are so lax, I almost always wear jeans to work that day.
  • big_cowboy74
    big_cowboy74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Business casual.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I don't mind my dress code.

I agreed to follow it in exchange for getting money. Fair enough.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    yup. no tattoos visible. no unnaturally colored hair. no nail polish. such is life for working for a super giant coffee chain. :/
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options

This.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How would you feel about a man wearing a sleeveless shirt to the office?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

wow that sounds like a really easy job
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    How would you feel about a man wearing a sleeveless shirt to the office?

I would so like to be able show off my gun show!

But I cant. ::sad:
  • CStone17
    CStone17 Posts: 37
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with what some other people said about it being professionalism. And when making rules, they really have to account for the lowest common denominator in the workplace, which is going to be the people who can't dress themselves decently without guidelines. They could try to allow those who know how to select sleeveless tops that look professional to wear them, but then everyone else (including the LCD people) would consider themselves permitted or encouraged to do so as well and you're back to square one.

And for the tattoos, that is sort of the same thing. You might have very benign tattoos, but some people have extremely offensive ones. It's better to have a ban across the board than to bring subjectivity in and decide Joe's tattoos are okay but Bill's are not. That just breeds discontent. Bill is going to be upset with management and maybe even Joe.

Personally, I prefer places where professionalism is encouraged. Long sleeves look better in the work environment on most of the population, as do close-toed shoes. You can't easily force employees to have well-maintained toes, after all.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    the reason is very likely because someone crossed the line and to avoid any sexist or harassment lawsuits, they just made a blanket policy for the company...this happened at my old job; present job has 99.9% males who couldn't care less so I wear what I want (i'm an engineer). A little shoulder/leg/cleavage never hurt anyone's negotiation skills...and i get what I want generally ;) but i'm tasteful still...
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    no denim. i'm dead serious.

no denim, no t-shirt or anything that resembles a t-shirt, and no capris. if ankles or legs are showing, it must be a skirt.

the most frustrating part? we don't see patients or customers. NO ONE SEES WHAT WE WEAR.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing a sleeveless blouse today, but it's because I'm a filthy, godless succubus
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    im so glad the only dress code at my job is wear clothes
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a bank and we had a pretty average dress code- no sleeveless shirts, overly short skirts or low cut blouses, and also no open toe shoes- but that was because we carried heavy coin boxes a lot and it was more for safety. I thought our dress code was pretty lenient compared to other banks in the area where people had to wear long sleeve blazers every day!

The job I have now I can wear whatever I want (I can even work in my pj's). :)
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

wow that sounds like a really easy job

Yeah...it's pretty sweet. We just walk around all day.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing a sleeveless blouse today, but it's because I'm a filthy, godless succubus

Yes, I have heard this.