Dress Code

Options

Replies

• travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think dress codes are appropriate, and the strictness of the dress code should be dependent on the industry/environment you are working in. By choosing to work in that industry, you are choosing to accept the dress code that goes along with it.

My wife works at the corporate headquarters for a Fortune 500 company. They have a fairly strict dress code requiring professional business attire. If I wore what the men at her company are required to wear at my job I would be overdressed. I wear jeans, an untucked polo shirt, and a pair of Red Wings boots every day. If I decide to wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt tomorrow, it's OK - no worries.

I get "it must be nice" from my wife all the time when we're getting ready for work, but we are both aware that our respective dress codes come with the professions we chose and the companies we chose to work for. I love being able to dress how I do at work, but wouldn't hesitate for a minute to put on a suit and tie if I accepted a job that required it.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Dress codes are dress codes. I've worked in companies with no codes and companies with extensive codes. You just deal with it, dress within the guidelines, or move on. Specifically requiring "no shoulders showing" probably makes it a rather professional environment, but it's their prerogative. I don't think they are worried about being "turned on" by your shoulders. It's just a matter of appropriate garb for that particular office, and what image the company has chosen to give.
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I once worked in an office that dictated what color nail polish you could wear -- only neutral/non-flashy colors or clear and all up to the CEO's discretion. It was a small woman-owned business too. For different folks, different strokes. But I was pretty annoyed to destroy my fabulous Halloween manicure for that policy.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any place that I have worked that didn't have a dress code policy. I worked in restaurants and had uniforms. I was in the military and had uniforms. I now have a corporate job and there is a dress code policy. I was given a copy to review before my interview, so I knew exactly what was coming before I even had a job offer. No shoulders here, or capris, or shorts, or open toe shoes or tennis shoes, or jeans. I am ok with that. We look nice, professional, and respectable. Besides, we are consultants and need to project a good image for our clients as well. One *kitten* could ruin it for many others.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    We wear what we want. I come to work almost every single day in jeans, flip flops and a t-shirt. I don't blame any company for having a dress code, but I love that mine doesn't have one :) With my weight loss, if I ever left, I'd have to buy an entire new wardrobe.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Probably ruffle feathers here but.....as a business owner, we have a dress code. No open toed shoes...because at one time an employee dropped a case of house paint on her foot and not only broke her toes but dang near cut one off. So...no open toed shoes for anyone.

Totally appreciate the feedback here :) Great response all around. I know for now on casual days, my job gets my baggy jeans. I'm losing size faster than my budget will allow :(
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    ive had pink in my hair since i was 16. if anyone told me i couldnt, i wouldnt work there :p their loss
  • Stefanie99
    Stefanie99 Posts: 45
    Options
    I work in a state government office and the dress code is pretty much business-casual. We don't get a lot of people from the public coming inside, except for at public meetings, and on those days the employees who will be attending wear suits. But the rest of the time, casual slacks, blouses, cardigans, sweaters, even "dress" jeans are worn regularly.

The one thing I've noticed lately though (that I didn't think was allowed) is some girls wearing flip-flops...and not even the "dressier" flip-flops, just regular Old Navy-style flip-flops. I don't think that's approriate. I love my flip-flops but will never wear them to the office.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    If people knew how to dress in a professional environment there wouldn't be a need for a dress code.

Maybe they implemented the no shoulder clause because some idiot came to work in a tube top? Or spaghetti straps? Or some other very non-professional attire?

But I guess it depends... how professional IS your work environment? Are these rules ridiculous because you work in a cheese making factory?
  • UnstoppableDrew
    Options
    You guys are making me glad I ditched corporate serf-dom for the wacky & wonderful world of startups. In the cold months I wear jeans, wacky/arty t-shirts (Threadless designs rule!) & polar fleece. I started wearing shorts in early April, and will not succumb to the tyranny of pants until probably after Thanksgiving. I ride my bike at lunchtime, then sit in my office in my bike gear while I eat my lunch & cool down before taking a shower. I'm lucky enough to be highly sought after for my skills such that I'll never have to take a job where they care about what you look like more than what you can do.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    As the person who made the dress code at my company (as well as every other policy), I can tell you that every stupid rule was made for a reason! It only takes one idiot to ruin it for everyone else. Sometimes I feel like a hag for writing down the things I do, but, some idiot somewhere forced my hand!

I do agree, it sucks! But at the same time, people tend to push things too far and this is unfortunatly what happens!
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It's not like she's going to wear a spaghetti tank top. They make and sell sleeveless business-wear. Just be sensible about it, not tacky.
    That's the problem. Someone would wear that tank top.

Yep, you have to define "sensible," which the OP's dress code has done.

My workplace has a dress code. I'm required to wear close-toed shoes, full-length pants (no shorts, capris or skirts), and sleeves every day. No biggie. It's a dress code, not a prison sentence.

I'm sorry but that just sounds ****ty.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I work for a large corporation that had a dress code of Business casual most days and Business dress when we had visitors coming... They would have fashion shows to show what is okay and what is not... the very next day people would be wearing what is NOT... smh.. They would use dress down (jeans, tshirts, sneakers, etc) as incentives....

But beginning in January they decided that they would rather us focus on the customers and not on what we would wear the next day and allowed casual dress all the time..

But in both scenerios there are some that wear OMG are you serious... to the office!! Club and Beachwear is not acceptable at any job unless you are a life guard or a club worker!
  • Stefanie99
    Stefanie99 Posts: 45
    Options
    Dress codes are dress codes. I've worked in companies with no codes and companies with extensive codes. You just deal with it, dress within the guidelines, or move on. Specifically requiring "no shoulders showing" probably makes it a rather professional environment, but it's their prerogative. I don't think they are worried about being "turned on" by your shoulders. It's just a matter of appropriate garb for that particular office, and what image the company has chosen to give.

I agree with this. I have worked in places with strict dress codes, without dress codes, and everything in between.

Actually, I've always preferred uniforms, but only because of my own self-conciousness with the way I looked. Now that I'm losing weight, and I know that this is forever this time, I'm super glad I now work in a place with a pretty lenient dress code, because I'll be able to show off more. :smile:
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    In a nursing uniform, made using the worse material known to man........either roasts you in summer or freezes to you in winter. Due to health and safety no jewellery or make up. Sackable offence if any rules are broken. Doctors get to wear what they like, they dont seem to have health and safety issues
  • JmeHarris
    JmeHarris Posts: 38
    Options
    Dress codes are in place for a couple of good reasons, and they are usually all about the company and not about you.

One of those reasons is that as an employee, you are a physical representation of the company. Just like you might use your appearance to say things about your morals, beliefs, and attitudes to the world, the type of employee a company has and that employee's appearance can say those things about a company. If you choose to work at that company then you have agreed to represent them to the world in the way in which they've dictated.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    There are many things that won't get someone past the initial interview but are allowed once hired.
    I wear shorts and polos from April until the end of October. I would never wear anything open toe at work unless I am just back to work after having my big toe cut off and screwed back one.
    The only place tight shorts are appropriate at work are in the corporate fitness center or while walking outside for a lunch time ride.

20 years ago, it was slacks, shoes and a tie. Then casual Fridays started. Business casual started as khakis and a open collar.
    Today, when someone comes in with a short and tie, we assume they are going to a funeral during the day. :)

Would I have let myself gain 130 pounds if it were still slacks and a tie? Who knows.

Re; sleeveless. Someone should FLOTUS she needs to cover up more. But probably some idiot told her she needs to show off her arms.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    My problem is not the dress code I understand that there needs to be one otherwise someone would inevitably show up in pajamas. When you accept the job, you are saying you will uphold their dress code expectations.

What I have a problem with is uneven enforcement of the dress code or selective enforcement by HR people who play favorites. At my previous job I was called in for dress code on more than one occasion, once for shoes that were apparently too high (I had been wearing them for months and never interfered with my job) and once for a skirt that was 'too short'. It bothered me because a manager in another department regularly wore skirts much shorter than mine, she just didn't get in trouble because she was so overweight she didn't look attractive in it. Because I have a decent body and actually looked good in my clothes, I believe I was targeted. Someone overheard some of the guys at work saying I looked good, and that's why I got in trouble. I shouldn't be punished just because I look good. My clothes were still professional. Another thing that bugged me was some people got away with wearing jeans (mostly men), but the women did not. I am not a fan of sexist dress codes.

Other thing I've noticed is that west coast vs. east coast there is a big distinction in what is considered appropriate. East coast seems to have much higher standards.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Apparently the OP asked for a lecture on business etiquette and not funny or interesting comments about weird dress codes at work.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think that's a matter of professionalism rather than prudishness.
    More like pettiness rather than professionalism... professionalism would say to not wear ratty clothing...
    There are things that are inappropriate for the workplace whether they are ratty or not. Sleeveless blouses are fine with me, but then people will interpret that to mean they can wear low-cut camisoles instead of blouses. There has to be a line, unfortunately.

Yes, this ^^ Dress codes have to be written for the lowest common denominator and unfortunately there is always someone pushing the envelope.

Many women wear sleeveless blouses or dresses that allow the bra to be seen through the sleeve hole. Others will wear spaghetti straps or strapless.