I need a recipe for chicken breast

Options

Replies

• MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Hi,
    The most important thing about cooking chicken breasts is that you need to get the internal temperature to around 160 degrees to fully cook it without it being dry. Using a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature is the best way to ensure you do not have a dry piece of meat. I like to marinate overnight using either teriaki sauce or italian dressing. This gives the meat lots of flavor and doesn't add a lot of calories. Cook in the oven at around 375 degrees. Good luck! Deb S.

Honestly, I think 160 is much higher than you really need to go, and that helps contribute to the dryness. Chicken breast has very little fat anyway (I believe some cultures actually refer to it as 'wood meat'), so unless you're very careful, it turns to cardboard. There's really no need to go much over 145 - basically, when you cut it, it needs to be a solid color all the way through, no translucence at all, and all the juices have to be clear. Don't cook it any longer than needed to achieve that.

Marinades can help, but of course, be careful about the amount of sugar, salt, and fat in the marinade - you don't want to totally undo the benefits of eating chicken by using a marinade that adds lots of junk calories.

My favorite chicken recipes are almost all curries - they're fantastic. And since they're mostly spices with a tiny bit of olive oil and some yogurt to thicken, they tend to be very healthy - but watch how much rice you have with it! Don't buy anything in a bottle, there a a million easy curry recipes online. Get some coriander, some cumin, some turmeric, and some garlic, and you're more than halfway there. (Garam masala is always nice too, and don't forget cardamom (my favorite spice) and clove!)

Seriously though, look for recipes that actually have you build the spice blend yourself, not recipes that say things like "Add 2 teaspoons of curry powder." It's really easy to make your own, and you can tailor it to your tastes. And there are a MILLION different types of curry recipes, so saying "I don't like curry" is like saying "I don't like soups or stews or chowders" - there are probably some that you do like, if you hunt around a little bit.

Sorry, this was a bit of a ramble - good luck! (And don't overcook your chicken!!!)
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping, thank you everyone!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all the replies so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet...

My fav recipe for chicken is:

Crockpot needed!

Slice an onion into thick slices and layer on the bottom of the crock pot. Add in half a bottle of your fav BBQ sauce... layer chicken on top (I usually use skinless, boneless) and than empty the rest of the bottle of sauce on top of the chicken. Put on low and cook for about 6 hours. Stir than put on high for 30-60 mins.

Once it's done you can serve up the whole chicken breast or you can shred it! When I shred it I use some for sandwiches (think pulled pork but with chicken, so yummy) I also use it to add to stir frys and salads.
  • lcantrell13
    lcantrell13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS TOO! nom nom nom :)
    I haven't read through all the replies so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet...

Crockpot needed!

Slice an onion into thick slices and layer on the bottom of the crock pot. Add in half a bottle of your fav BBQ sauce... layer chicken on top (I usually use skinless, boneless) and than empty the rest of the bottle of sauce on top of the chicken. Put on low and cook for about 6 hours. Stir than put on high for 30-60 mins.

Once it's done you can serve up the whole chicken breast or you can shred it! When I shred it I use some for sandwiches (think pulled pork but with chicken, so yummy) I also use it to add to stir frys and salads.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My guess is that your heat is too high and you overcook it. I prefer to grill my chicken, and I just put a little salt and pepper on them you can also pan sear them, using just a bit of olive oil.

My husbands little sister always begs me to make balsamic chicken EVERY time she is over. Take salt, pepper, and thyme and coat the chicken breast lightly. Put about a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and heat up, cook chicken in the pan, usually 10-12 minutes a side, depending how thick your chicken is. Then in the same pan heat some balsamic vinegar, honey, and a little brown sugar to make a sauce. I usually use the sauce as a dipping sauce, but you can put it over the chicken too.

Try using a medium heat instead of high heat. It will take a bit longer, but it will be a lot tastier.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

Crockpot needed!

Lol, what doesn't taste great with a bottle of barbeque sauce poured on top of it? I'd eat wood chips if they were cooked in BBQ sauce! But how many calories does the sauce add? (I was assuming we were trying to come up with healthy recipes, although this one does sound very tasty!)
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bump!! :)
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mollyvon
    mollyvon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • A_Setapart_Life
    Options
    cook with a top (such as tin foil).
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Ground Chicken Burger

Chicken Breast (grind with kitchen aid or buy ground chicken)
    chopped up onion, garlic, tomatoes, carrots
    old bay seasoning
    bread crumbs
    egg.

pan fry or grill on VERY low heat until cooked all the way through.

serve on whole grain bun with arugala or other greens and tomato

serve with baked butternut squash fries.
  • lcantrell13
    lcantrell13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The BBQ sauce I use is 30 calories per 2 tablespoons, so it really doesn't add much. I dont even really spoon out any BBQ sauce once I dish it out...

Crockpot needed!

Lol, what doesn't taste great with a bottle of barbeque sauce poured on top of it? I'd eat wood chips if they were cooked in BBQ sauce! But how many calories does the sauce add? (I was assuming we were trying to come up with healthy recipes, although this one does sound very tasty!)
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Crockpot needed!

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    This sounds so yummy! I will try it with homemade bbq sauce! :smile:
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Cook frozen skinless chicken breast for 20 minutes at 15 PSI
    in wine, rosemary, Old Bay, and bayleaves. Remove chicken
    from the bone. You can use boneless, but I think the bone adds
    flavor, and keeps the chicken moist. Also, take out the rosemary
    stems, and bay leaves. Leave the rosemary needles.

While meat is cooking you need to do a little prep work.

Peel, and cut the ends off the carrots. Cut into 1/3's.
    Cut onion in 1/2, then 1/4.
    Open you're two cans of tomatoes. (this is the sodium)
    Wash a pound of white button mushrooms.
    Peel husk from corn, snap in 1/2.
    Wash baby red potatoes.

Add everything to the pot and cook for 5 minutes at 15 PSI. Let
    stand off the heat for 2-3 minutes, release pressure and enjoy.
    serves about 7-8.

Best stew ever in about an hour, and it tastes like it took 12 hours
    in a slow cooker. Better for you too since everything is steamed.

ChickenStew.png

ChickenStewpic.jpg
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Taco Chicken Meat
    Put a few breasts in crockpot with 8 oz fat free cream cheese, low sodium taco seasoning, cook on low 6-8 hours. shred with a fork and serve on tacos shells or tortillas.

OR

Buffalo Chicken
    Put a few breasts in crockpot with 8 oz fat free cream cheese, 1/4 c. buffalo wing sauce, cook on low 6-8 hours. shred with a fork and serve on tortillas or as a dip with tostitos. Lower in fat just wrap in lettuce leaves. .

This sounds delicious!!!!!
  • FerroMancer
    Options
    I like sauteeing the chicken with mushrooms, onions, and (my favorite) Sugar Snap Peas with a little bit of teriyaki sauce.

I think the key to cooking chicken is to juuuuuuuust get it done. Overcooking kills it. Cutting a full breast into cubes or slices is a good way to measure that.
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sounds deeeeelicious!!
  • wildcat808
    wildcat808 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katie_berry
    Options
    You could try diet coke chicken, or squeeze some lemon juice and herbs onto it! Yum!