Biggest Regret in your Fitness Journey?

Options
13»

Replies

• KDCrocker
    KDCrocker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Getting to this point in the first place...
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    First, let me say that you can still participate in competitions. There is no reason you can't. Men and women in their 70's and 80's compete. It's certainly possible, even at the 'gasp' extreme age of 35. Thirty-five is not old, so just forget that right now.

I have two major regrets:
    1) Like you, I regret not starting sooner. Life would have been so much more fun for so much more time.
    2) I also regret the very nearly disastrous flirtation I had with anorexia my senior year in high school and freshmen and sophomore years in college. I almost destroyed myself (pneumonia for 6 months) and nearly failed out of school. It's amazing what you think is important at that age.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Great thread!

I think, like many, it's the whole waiting too long.......I've always struggled and in the past always tried for the "quick fix". I didn't have the knowledge that I have now, although sometimes that comes with age too :)

But this time around, from when I started to change my life, not just diet, I would have to say it's for sure not starting weights earlier and doing cardio overkill! I'm overall very happy with how I've achieved my success thus far and I'm so lucky to have a great support system but those weights.....yeah that's definitely the way to go! And EATING! I'm totally not on a "diet", I make healthy choices.....it's such a big difference and I feel the best that I've ever felt!

Way to go us!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have known what an Upper working out is! Mentally I am on top of the world and am in such better moods all the time.
  • vivsgym
    vivsgym Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That I starting out with a ridiculous calorie deficit because I didn't do proper weight loss research and I only thought about losing weight NOW, not how weak and unhealthy my body would become later with such lack of nutrients in my diet. s! But I've changed my ways, and I'm still young. So I gotta be thankful for that! :)
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The day, 15 or 20 years ago when I was working legs hard. After doing squats I felt a little twinge, but went ahead and did heavy (for me) leg presses anyway. That was the start of years of back trouble!
  • StarIsMoving
    StarIsMoving Posts: 437
    Options
    Totally should have taken full "before" pics. I hid from the camera then though, was so ashamed and it literally sickened me to see myself in a pic. However to SEE where I started would be awesome
  • Tayloral6899
    Options
    Too touchy of a subject I C for some....Truth...listening to others for a long time...then knowing the medical treatment was incorrect..

For me....TG! I have Not ever exprience any health issues....other than always tried to encourage JT to do so, and I'am very proud that he has accomplished so much in so little time....Luv what you have done for yourself!!
  • Alaarie
    Alaarie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yep, I wish I would have started sooner. Not just for myself, but for my kids. They're healthy (only 10 and 5 years old) but they don't enjoy healthy foods. I wish I would have been cooking fresh, healthy food when they were younger so it wouldn't be such a struggle now to get them to eat dinner now. I also wish I were setting a better example for them... rather than crashing on the couch after work, I should have been up playing with them. We do more of that now, but I missed so many opportunities when they were tiny.
  • Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    Options
    Didnt start sooner. Better late then never tho :)
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Not doing my research ahead of time and starting out with the undereating and over cardio-ing mentality. Yeah I lost weight, but I felt like crap! I wish I'd found out how to set my calorie goals and that I should be doing weight lifting a lot earlier.

^ THIS!!!
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    That I could have started this about 3 years ago and could have lost all the weight by now and that I have lost weight before and just put it back on why did I give up!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I regret eating so few calories in my 20s because it's messed up my metabolism now! I wish i'd known about strength and resistance training then and eating more protein. I also regret moaning I was fat then because I wasn't at all! I would kill to be as slim as I was 10 years ago (although my jeans from then do up now!)

I also wish I hadn't put on so much weight in my 2nd pregnancy, but then I have 2 beautiful children now so it was worth it.
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    Mine would definitely be how difficult it's been to BE CONSISTENT!! I work hard, take it off, then slowly put it back on. I swear I've gained and lost the same 10-25 lbs over the last 20 years! It's sad and frustrating.

Me too although over the last 3 years its so annoying
  • Karebear_68
    Options
    I agree with ^^! :glasses:
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Losing and gaining, losing and gaining, and now on my 3rd time losing. Geez, this better be my "3rd time is the charm" weight loss journey. It's incredibly unheathly to lose and gain so many times. I'm afraid I've done permanant damage. I just want to be healthy and stay that way.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Not starting sooner.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    That I waited so long to take it serious.