Diet coke - does it make you put on weight

Options

Replies

• krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Nothing *makes* you put on weight but yourself making unhealthy food choices and eating a calorie surplus
  • BeckyLH
    BeckyLH Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink fizzy drinks, they make me feel bloated and crave food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it makes you put on weight.

YOU make you put on weight. If you find yourself getting hungry straight after you have a diet coke, prepare for it and simply don't eat. It's just fake hunger (unless you truly have got an empty stomach) owing to the chemicals.

It's not very good for ya but it won't 'make' you put on weight.. it has no calories..
    THIS. How does it MAKE YOU put on weight when it has no calories? Is the Diet Coke pushing you into the donut shop? Several CLINICAL PEER REVIEWED STUDIES have been done on diet soda causing cravings and it's all been in CORRELATION and not considered the CAUSE.

People put on weight because of over consumption. Learn to control your over consumption and it's not an issue. I've been drinking Diet Pepsi (as well as my parents have) for 30 years now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    One other thing to consider is smoking. For decades smoking was encouraged. Go back far enough and children smoked "to keep the cold out of their lungs"-that is fact- yes it was 100 years ago but its still fact. It was encouraged by doctors. Then 20 years ago Doctors and the government told you not to eat fat - now they tell you to take Omega 3 - because its not 100% one way or the other. If you look at the research on aspartame none of it tends to be far reaching - government tends not to fund this because people dont want real evidence to exclude this crap and kill a billion dollar industry. The industries certainly wont fund it. If your thinking you want to give it up then you should. What do you have to lose - worse case scenario your drinking water or some other low cal drink. I will say i do love all the experts who have all the 100% answers - if everybody had all this figured out already then why do they have tickers under their name with "XX number of pounds to lose"????
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    And that goes both ways. Mercola is out to prove that it's bad, so they're only going to list studies that support that view.
    Mercola is a berk. Look at his positioning on vaccines as well. Complete raving loony thats out there to grab headlines, nothing more!

Mercola just compiled a list of 68 studies, none of which were done by Mercola. Not one or two. Sixty Eight! Most of them say who the study was funded by. Of the studies I looked at from this post claiming aspertame is fine and dandy, NONE showed who funded the study. Admittedly, I didn't look at all of them so maybe you may have posted a study which listed it's funding source. As mentioned in my previous post: If you want to drink it, feel free. I really don't care.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    For me the carbonation has been a problem. I always had swollen feet and ankles and attributed it to being rather quite overweight and dealt with it. I only drank diet soda - nothing else ever. The amount of water I drank was what I put on my toothbrush to brush my teeth.

I gave up diet soda completely a week ago. My feet are actually skinny now and there's no more swelling in my ankles. It's not the sodium - I salt everything I eat. It's not the artificial sweetner - I'm drinking Crystal Light instead. I believe it's the carbonation that was causing the swelling.
  • e2track
    e2track Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas never actually made me gain weight, I am not even sure why some people say that, however, I have also been craving all the bad foods, and I have not been drinking anything but water! So, I am not sure if it is fair to blame the diet coke, but if you think it is a factor, give it up, no need loosing progress over an artificially sweetened beverage.

BTW- congrats on all of your success!!!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The laws of the universe says its impossible to gain weight on a zero calorie drink. Furthermore it doesn't increase insulin nor blood glucose.

It can't cause weight gain.

That logic is 100% wrong. Just because something like diet soda doesn't DIRECTLY cause weight gain (it's zero calorie) doesn't mean it can't INDIRECTLY cause weight gain by stimulating some sensitive people to crave sweets.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    I don't believe it makes you put on weight.

YOU make you put on weight. If you find yourself getting hungry straight after you have a diet coke, prepare for it and simply don't eat. It's just fake hunger (unless you truly have got an empty stomach) owing to the chemicals.

It's not very good for ya but it won't 'make' you put on weight.. it has no calories..
    THIS. How does it MAKE YOU put on weight when it has no calories? Is the Diet Coke pushing you into the donut shop? Several CLINICAL PEER REVIEWED STUDIES have been done on diet soda causing cravings and it's all been in CORRELATION and not considered the CAUSE.

People put on weight because of over consumption. Learn to control your over consumption and it's not an issue. I've been drinking Diet Pepsi (as well as my parents have) for 30 years now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

LOL, how does gastric bypass make you lose weight if it doesn't cause you to burn any calories? It's all about affecting your appetite. You probably dont' want to hear that because you obviously like diet soda.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The laws of the universe says its impossible to gain weight on a zero calorie drink. Furthermore it doesn't increase insulin nor blood glucose.

It can't cause weight gain.

That logic is 100% wrong. Just because something like diet soda doesn't DIRECTLY cause weight gain (it's zero calorie) doesn't mean it can't INDIRECTLY cause weight gain by stimulating some sensitive people to crave sweets.

That is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that the cause of the weight gain is the high calorie item you ingested after the diet soda, not the diet soda. You have a choice to overcome your cravings. If you are too weak willed to do that, for sure don't drink it. But don't pretend like it isn't a personal responsibility. French fries sitting on a table don't make you fat, eating a ton of french fries does.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Did no one from the uk watch the secret eaters program?

1 guy used to drink alot of diet coke a day, probably about 2ltr as he was trying to lose weight, and what it does is, you think it supresses the urge for fizzy drink, but without the sugar intake. But it will make you want to eat more sugary foods as your taste buds are not getting that sweet taste and kick, so you will actually eat more! There is still alot of hidden sugars in diet coke as well.

No, there aren't any hidden sugars in diet coke.

I drank diet soda all through losing weight. At one time, I did think maybe diet soda was hindering my weight loss. So, I cut it out completely and everything else with artificial sweeteners. Nothing changed. My weight loss was still slow, my hunger was the same. I added soda back in, because I wanted it and continued to lose weight.

You control your weight loss.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to diet soda (any soda really) as well. I haven't had any soda in about a month now (although, I did have 1 or 2 cans on a day I was indulging but that didn't really "count".)

I agree, give them up! It sounds like you have already pretty much answered your own question.

For me, they made me thirstier - but I didn't want any stinkin water! Pffft, I wanted to drink the "tasty" stuff. Which starts the perpetual cycle you described. I also think that it messes with my skin and hair and how healthy it looks and feels. Plus, it adds to bloating...I think.

To transition, I switched over to drinking MIO in my water - now I am trying to switch from MIO to 75% water 25% MIO water. :)

*Edit - after a few weeks of no soda, when I did drink it...I wasn't as excited by the flavor. It didn't taste anywhere near as great. I probably will still drink other sodas (I still like Sierra Mist) but just in moderation.
  • ahamm002
    Options

That is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that the cause of the weight gain is the high calorie item you ingested after the diet soda, not the diet soda. You have a choice to overcome your cravings. If you are too weak willed to do that, for sure don't drink it. But don't pretend like it isn't a personal responsibility. French fries sitting on a table don't make you fat, eating a ton of french fries does.

Well if you're the Iceman with your diet, and you never get bothered by cravings or over-eat, then congrats. You don't need a weight-loss website since you would have never gained weight nor had any difficulty losing it in the first place. However, for the rest of us mere mortals, food cravings can be an issue.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No, but it makes me ridiculously bloated, which of course makes me look a hell of a lot fatter.

I used to drink a few cans a week to maybe one a day, but I only have it on occasion now. Once I cut right down on it, I noticed immediate reduction in the size of my stomach.
  • jillmarie48
    jillmarie48 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What about the mio drops? They make water taste better.
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I adore diet coke and I used to drink it first thing in the morning and then at least 3 during the day.

I gave it up about a month ago. I still miss it. The first week without was horrible.

But now I do feel better (especially first thing in the morning) and I do notice that my cravings for sweets are reduced. Its easier for me to just eat yogurt or fruit than it was before, where I would make and eat muffins or cake.

And at the same time (coincidence or correlation or causation, not sure which) as giving up diet coke I am reducing my calories a couple hundred a day and being able to stick to it far better than I was before, when I was drinking the diet coke.

Good luck to you.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Well if you're the Iceman with your diet, and you never get bothered by cravings or over-eat, then congrats. You don't need a weight-loss website since you would have never gained weight nor had any difficulty losing it in the first place. However, for the rest of us mere mortals, food cravings can be an issue.

I am the only person on the planet that has enough willpower to say no to a craving?

So long, suckers!

*uses super powers to fly off into the sunset*
  • jaycmoore
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said "practice moderation".

Diet coke itself [and most diet fizzy drinks] have zero nutritional value. It shouldn't have any direct effect on weight either way... it's not going to help you lose or make you gain weight in itself, it will depend on what other calories you take in and what exercise you're undertaking to burn them.

I believe the often quoted addage that to lose weight you simply need to consume a percentage less calories than the calories your body has burned in a given time period.

Having said that, I'm not really a fizzy drink fan, prefer water still and generally flavoured.
  • angilina_j
    angilina_j Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When ever I indulge in Diet coke it seems to increase my appetite for some reason.... Happens every time... Like it turns on the munchies....
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Since I've quit drinking it completely (about two weeks), I no longer have swelling in my ankles or feet and I rarely have headaches.Guess I just responded badly to it...it might also have to do with drinking much, much more water.

Do what works for you. It cannot, by itself, make you gain weight, but it does trigger cravings for some people.