Diet coke - does it make you put on weight

Options

Replies

• Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Drinking diet soda gave me stomach ulcers and made my teeth sensitive (was drinking 3 cans a day for years). Since I quit (about a month ago), my stomach healed up, not sure about my teeth yet. I lost a bit of weight, too, where before I couldn't lose any. I am starting to feel full after a meal, which before I never felt full. I think my stomach was totally fried by the soda. There are stretch receptors in your stomach and I don't think mine were working because of it.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    giving up soda was the best thing for me... i havent had soda in years. you dont need it. just drink water.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    As for the people saying it is fine: they are finding studies that say wat they want to hear.

And that goes both ways. Mercola is out to prove that it's bad, so they're only going to list studies that support that view.

Mercola is a berk. Look at his positioning on vaccines as well. Complete raving loony thats out there to grab headlines, nothing more!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Not sure, I rarely drink soda outright. I stopped drinking it about 5 years ago. Over the course of a year, I may consume a few 12 ounce cans and maybe I will mix it in an alcoholic drink, but keeping soda consumption low is a really good idea.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    short answer : no

long answer : no

i believe it can make you stall (depends on the fake sugar additive), but that's a far cry from gaining.

try stevia? i hate it, but some people like it.
  • amydarling2012
    Options
    I don't know if it really makes you put on weight or not. I know its not good for you BUT I had a horrible "addiction" to Mt. Dew. I would drink it all day long. I loved the stuff! I finally decided to give it up about 3 wks ago. I started drinking plain (no sugar/artificial sweeteners) Lime flavored Sparkling water and I LOVE it. I found what I really missed about soda was the fizz more than anything. I still crave a soda though and when I do I allow myself a diet Pepsi. Now I only want it every other day or so.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it makes you put on weight.

YOU make you put on weight. If you find yourself getting hungry straight after you have a diet coke, prepare for it and simply don't eat. It's just fake hunger (unless you truly have got an empty stomach) owing to the chemicals.

It's not very good for ya but it won't 'make' you put on weight.. it has no calories..

THIS!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has aspertame which is a fake sugar which tricks your body into thinking its getting sugar when its not so in turn your hunger response is triggered and you will want to eat and your body will store this unnatural chemical as fat!

^ Simply wrong. Please provide ANY proof of this. It's not nice to spread rumors and mis-information.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Diet soda has aspertame which is a fake sugar which tricks your body into thinking its getting sugar when its not so in turn your hunger response is triggered and you will want to eat and your body will store this unnatural chemical as fat!

^ Simply wrong. Please provide ANY proof of this. It's not nice to spread rumors and mis-information.

Aspartame is two amino acids, a dipeptide - aspartic acid/phenylalanine dipeptide. It cannot 'trick' the body into thinking it is carbohydrate - it is PROTEIN.

It cannot raise blood glucose levels as you are suggesting nor insulin.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    any caffeinated beverage/pop will make you put on weight whether it says diet or not, the pop/soda companies want to make money anyway they can therefore putting diet in front of the name so healthy minded people will drink it or attempt to, that is such crap thought because it is not healthy for you at all
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    any caffeinated beverage/pop will make you put on weight whether it says diet or not, the pop/soda companies want to make money anyway they can therefore putting diet in front of the name so healthy minded people will drink it or attempt to, that is such crap thought because it is not healthy for you at all

You realize caffeine is a stimulant and by definition will speed your metabolism, right?
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options

If you are still concerned about your diet coke, just water it down a bit with some good scotch :D

^^^^^^ :drinker: CHEERS!
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Care to explain with some actual science behind that?

In fact I'm having blood tests this week - I'll show you how much of an effect they don't have!
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Over the past few months I have slowly gotten addicted to diet coke. I am having at least 1 can, but sometimes up to 3 a day. Initially it helped to fill that space in the late afternoon when I wanted to eat and eat. I've googled and there are so many reports saying that it actually ends up making you put on weight in the long term.

Initially I pffft'd that, but I'm beginning to think that is true. I am starting to struggle with controlling my cravings (and then over eating) and I'm actually now thinking that it might be the diet coke. I didn't seem to have any problems with this for the year that I lost weight. It's only once I got close to maintenance that I started with the diet coke thing, and every so slowly my weight has crept up (which is not surprising - I'm logging, but I always seem to go over my cals).

Thoughts? Experiences?

My doctor told me that diet pop making you gain and increasing your appetite is just a theory. He said it would be good to cut soda out all together but if you need a soda grab diet. It is not a fact that it makes you gain weight.
  • lindseym1983
    lindseym1983 Posts: 209
    Options
    Stop drinking it! Giving up sodas was this best thing I did a couple years ago. The artificial sweeteners in diet drinks make you hungry so you tend to eat more if you consume a lot of diet sodas.

^^^ This. How about carbonated waters? You get the carbonation w/o the sweetener or just splurge every once in awhile and drink a regular coke. Giving up pop was easy for me if I have bottled water cold in the fridge...I will grab it when I am wanting a snack or thirsty.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Over the past few months I have slowly gotten addicted to diet coke. I am having at least 1 can, but sometimes up to 3 a day. Initially it helped to fill that space in the late afternoon when I wanted to eat and eat. I've googled and there are so many reports saying that it actually ends up making you put on weight in the long term.

Initially I pffft'd that, but I'm beginning to think that is true. I am starting to struggle with controlling my cravings (and then over eating) and I'm actually now thinking that it might be the diet coke. I didn't seem to have any problems with this for the year that I lost weight. It's only once I got close to maintenance that I started with the diet coke thing, and every so slowly my weight has crept up (which is not surprising - I'm logging, but I always seem to go over my cals).

Thoughts? Experiences?

My doctor told me that diet pop making you gain and increasing your appetite is just a theory. He said it would be good to cut soda out all together but if you need a soda grab diet. It is not a fact that it makes you gain weight.

The laws of the universe says its impossible to gain weight on a zero calorie drink. Furthermore it doesn't increase insulin nor blood glucose.

It can't cause weight gain.
  • Sarahkate1017
    Options
    Granted, I am not a scientist, nutritionist, doctor, or personal trainer, but common sense would tell me this (I have no studies to back this up, mind you, this is just my personal opinion): soda is crappy stuff, so I personally do not drink it often, but if you feel the need to consume (on occassion) a carbonated beverage that has zero nutritional value, then have at it. In the long run, it's not going to kill you (probably). But, it's not like soda, in any form, is GOOD for you. You don't need a study to tell you that. I know this doesn't really address the question of whether or not diet soda makes you gain weight....just some "food" for thought, haha.
  • JDUR19
    JDUR19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There seems to be alot of scaremongering about aspartame. It is myth and general bad science.
    Real studies show no link between increased appetite and aspartame. In fact many studies show a DECREASED appetite with aspartame.

For the geeky types who read this stuff; citation.... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7938234

Heres another and snip ... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1881987

" Consumption of two soft drinks (560 ml, 320 mg aspartame) significantly reduced subjective hunger from 11:05 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. compared to one soft drink (280 ml, 160 mg aspartame) or 280 ml of mineral water. Thus ingestion of soft drinks containing aspartame did not increase short-term subjective hunger or food intake."

Also no studies show aspartame causes water retention. Anyway, Water retention caused by diet (glycygen in muscles etc) is not in itself a health issue. You need water for your muscles to function and repair themselves. Most people spend their life so dehydrated.

To All those conspiracy sites saying aspartame is poison and killing everyone I say where are all the dead people?

If you do a little research you find the source of the aspertame myth started in 1998 with an email scarelore...

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blasp.htm

and here

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blasp2.htm

Bottom line is diet drinks do not make you fat or hungry or ill and can be a good way to help keep calories down.
    Ive lost over 75lbs over the last year drinking monster blues (no-cal) (infrequently) , diet coke (everyday), and using splendor as an occasional sugar replacement.

If you are still concerned about your diet coke, just water it down a bit with some good scotch :D

Awww, I was hoping the email scarelore would be like "If you don't send this to 10 people in your inbox then Aspartame will turn up in your room tonight at 3am and sweeten you to death!" or "Press F5 on your keyboard and Aspartame will appear on your desktop"
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

*facepalm*
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    There are tonnes of articles telling you one way or the other - good , bad or somewhere in between. Artificial sweeteners are not recommended for kids. As well here in Canada you will find aspartame is labelled with a warning of "should be used under the advice of a doctor" - what is odd its not every container even of the same brand. Someone mentioned it to me and i only found it on some Sugar Twin packets. Ultimately this stuff was made for diabetics - maybe we should wait until we are diabetic before we use it. Overall i try to eat real food. Water with lemon is good - green tea - black coffee (thats a hard one to work up to) or I do like Davids Tea's which are all less than 5 calories and some of them are really sweet. Trust your gut - if you think this is having an affect then trust yourself and try to go sweetener free. For me i found that i use to drink diet soda in the afternoon and did feel it intensified my hunger - again its how i felt and i dont need a study or a website to prove how i felt.