Diet coke - does it make you put on weight

Options
15678911»

Replies

• firecat500
    Options
    I definitely don't think diet soda has any direct effect on weight. However, it may increase sugar desire, which I've not only read about, but also experienced. And if there is one thing that gets in the way of dieting, it's those ridiculous sugar and high carb cravings.... so it may be a benefit to some, including myself, to avoid.
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    There is alot of sodium..salt in diet drinks
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    One other thing to consider is smoking. For decades smoking was encouraged. Go back far enough and children smoked "to keep the cold out of their lungs"-that is fact- yes it was 100 years ago but its still fact. It was encouraged by doctors. Then 20 years ago Doctors and the government told you not to eat fat - now they tell you to take Omega 3 - because its not 100% one way or the other. If you look at the research on aspartame none of it tends to be far reaching - government tends not to fund this because people dont want real evidence to exclude this crap and kill a billion dollar industry. The industries certainly wont fund it. If your thinking you want to give it up then you should. What do you have to lose - worse case scenario your drinking water or some other low cal drink. I will say i do love all the experts who have all the 100% answers - if everybody had all this figured out already then why do they have tickers under their name with "XX number of pounds to lose"????
    Lol, it's kinda tough to compare the 2 since smoking wasn't really "studied" during the time it was being endorsed. We have several peer reviewed clinical studies that debunk a lot of what is BELIEVED.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    There's more in chicken breast. Just sayin'. And 70mg of sodium really isn't A LOT.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    There's more in chicken breast. Just sayin'. And 70mg of sodium really isn't A LOT.

IDEA Fitness member

Its tiny. Anyway, if you train you want extra salts as ninerbuff would agree.

PLUS!

Watch this - http://youtu.be/y1RXvBveht0?t=32m51s
  • KLovesTy
    KLovesTy Posts: 37
    Options
    I have lost over 50 lbs and I can honestly say while I'm not super proud of it I drink probably a bit too much diet soda. I have quit a few times and never felt less hungry or lost any weight. For me diet soda takes care of a craving and gives me some energy without the calories. Is it great for me? Probably not. But I'd rather drink a can of diet soda than eat a chocolate bar.
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke / Coke Zero / Fake Sugar in general do not seem to have any negative effect on me in terms of my weight. I don't notice any weight gain or weird cravings as a result. Not saying they're good for me, but they're definitely not making me fat.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

12oz of diet pepsi has 35mg of salt
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    On Friday, my massage therapist told me that aspartame causes belly fat (I drink 3-4 cans of Coke Zero a day). The belly is the only area I have left to lose fat, and it seems like it's going slow, so I googled it. Read an article on livestrong.com that confirmed what she said. As painful as it will be, I'm going to give up my beloved Coke Zero for the rest of the month and see what happens.
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Definitely does not make you put on weight - several years ago I lost 30kg in 6 months while drinking about 2 glasses a day. That said, I don't believe it is "good for you" - I believe I am quite addicted to it (could well be the sweeteners) & I suspect I may lose weight more easily if I didn't drink it at all. But I don't drink tea or coffee & I have 4 young children (including a baby) so I really need the caffeine!!!!!! I tried clean eating a few months ago & lasted about a week without it but unfortunately now I am back on it. I'd say if you can live without it, it's probably better.
  • KAbena
    KAbena Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Whether it makes you gain weight or not, sodas are just not good for you. Nothing natural or wholesome or nutritious about them.
  • Steemiee
    Steemiee Posts: 1
    Options
    Dude, If you want energy or something to take your mind of eating... Try milk! It's full of calcium, It's yummy and it's very good for you. Just don't drink it to much. If you have one can a day that's insane! Just have like...hmmm... quarter of a pint of milk a day and try to do 40 push ups a day, It helped me!
  • ladybird89
    ladybird89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds in one year back in high school and I guzzled diet coke the whole time. It won't necessarily make you gain weight. (I kept it off, by the way, my MFP tracker reflects my current goals on top of what I have lost already).

Having said that, I urge you to stop drinking diet soda as soon as possible. It's highly addictive and filled with all sorts of chemicals that your body just doesn't need or want. Looking back, I am shocked that I willingly put so much of that crap in my body. At the time, I wanted to do whatever it took to lose weight as fast as possible. In hindsight, I realize that consuming artificial sweeteners is cheating. You're cheating your way out of dealing with sugar cravings. Diet soda didn't help eliminate my sugar cravings, it exacerbated them. I managed to lose weight because I restricted my caloric intake, but I wasn't eating healthy. I was eating way too much sugar.

The only way to fight a sweet tooth is to eat less sweets. The less you eat them, the less you crave them. That INCLUDES "sugar free" things, because you are essentially tricking your body into thinking that you are eating sugar. When your body doesn't get the sugar rush it expects, you crave more to compensate.

Basically, it's bad news. Switch to sparkling water to curb your appetite!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    Dude, If you want energy or something to take your mind of eating... Try milk! It's full of calcium, It's yummy and it's very good for you. Just don't drink it to much. If you have one can a day that's insane! Just have like...hmmm... quarter of a pint of milk a day and try to do 40 push ups a day, It helped me!

couldn't you find a more recent anti diet sodas thread to make your first post on??

This one goes back to 2012 :wink:
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Diet soda does not cause weight gain whatsoever. It is a very helpful diet aid. As well as, Splenda-sweetened pickles and diet tea. The controversy is rooted in studies where people didn't count calories-- of course you will eat more food if you drink diet soda instead of regular soda, if you are not counting calories.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting to put on the weight.

Diet coke drinker. Six months. Maintaining. Six months. :drinker:
  • Archer9304
    Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    No.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You said it in your post, you are going over your calories almost daily, therefore you are gaining weight slowly.

It's not the diet coke that is making you gain weight, it's going over your calories. If you think it's the coke making you overeat then stop it, but as far as I am concern, we control what goes in, not the soda can.