Working out during period (for ladies)

I am new here, so this is the first time I got period since I am here.. I knew I would get it yesterday because I felt so big and I just couldnt do much exercise than usual. So I am working now, and I do my exercise in late afternoon, but I just dont feel like doing it.. I think I will push myself to go. Usually I do elliptical and on stationary bike each 20 - 30min.
SO I was curios when you ladies get period do you workout less, same or no workout?

Replies

• jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    I'm not going to lie, I do as little physical activity as possible. Taking care of the baby and doing housework is enough. Hell, getting out of bed is enough.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    It depends on the person. My workout doesn't change because my work-out is a self-defense class and because the pill is the bestest thing ever. Some people here purposely work out, even when they don't feel like it, because it helps with cramps. Others work out, but scale it back. Still others can't work out without either covering the exercise equipment in blood or vomiting from discomfort. Very individual.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    I always feel like I don't want to, but then I force myself. Once I've started I feel much better :)
  • cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    I used them as my 'cheat day' :D i do nothing but curl up on the sofa and eat junk.. it helps me :D but everyones different...
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    I work out the same. I suck it up, and I just keep pushing. You'll feel tons better after, also (especially if you usually cramp). The release of endorphin makes everything more bearable, and losing weight will also affect your cycle (less bloating, better disposition, less cramping, etc.). Think about the long term positives of a minor inconvenience today. :smile:
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    I'm not going to lie either: For me there is no difference. None at all. Why would I work out less or do anything different? On the first day I might have some cramps, so I try to not work out exactly when I have them (they usually only last an hour or so). But besides that... all the same. I don't feel bigger, I don't retain water (at least not that I know of), I don't think the period is an illness or disability.

I know people who have terrible cramps and can hardly walk. Of course for them it's different. But in general I think we (meaning women) make way too big of a deal out of losing 2-10 tbs of blood...
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    I'm about to find out later this week how it'll work for me, as I'll have my first one since starting on MPF, and I started 30ds yesterday! I think it'll depend on how I feel, I WANT to work out because I know the endorphines will make it feel better but I do suffer badly with cramps and for about 2 days before I even start I get really bloated and feel very lethargic, get weird hot flushes and generally feel 'meh'.

It will definitely be better for some, I'm very jealous of those women who don't have these problems during TOM!! Unforunately I'm one of those for whom getting out of bed is a challenge when the cramps really set in :(
  • svesemenja
    svesemenja Posts: 67 Member
    Thank you all..
    I got up this morning, and I do yoga in the morning and I pushed myself to do it. I was thinking to get a small reward for going to the gym..
    Yes I have craps,usually first 2 days, after I feel better..

I feel little bit better for it.. :)
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Unless it's really bad ill push myself to do it
  • smithy85
    smithy85 Posts: 104 Member
    I'm not going to lie either: For me there is no difference. None at all. Why would I work out less or do anything different? On the first day I might have some cramps, so I try to not work out exactly when I have them (they usually only last an hour or so). But besides that... all the same. I don't feel bigger, I don't retain water (at least not that I know of), I don't think the period is an illness or disability.

I know people who have terrible cramps and can hardly walk. Of course for them it's different. But in general I think we (meaning women) make way too big of a deal out of losing 2-10 tbs of blood...

Some of us dont loose 2-10tbs of blood, its everyones different preferences , i do workout but sometimes i can do only half the workout i normally do but saying that I suffer with PCOS and really bad bleeding and cramping constant pain, mine is an illness and i still push myself to go, but the workout doesnt do anything for me.
  • It varies for me, some of my periods are painful which makes my workout (Zumba) difficult to do. But some of them are not so i can do my normal workout without annoyance, though i have to admit since i started exercising I've only had to skip my Zumba once which was when I first started my lifestyle changes and they have been pretty painless ever since.

But as everyone else has mentioned it does vary and only you can tell what you are physically capable of accomplishing during your period, so if you feel up to it go for it!! if not don't beat yourself up for missing a few days exercise, just watch what you are eating and drinking plently of water to battle any water retention you may have :)

feel free to add me btw ^_^ :flowerforyou:
  • ali117
    ali117 Posts: 12 Member
    I suck it up and just do my exercise. I do have to be careful as I can bleed heavily and feel faint due to lower iron levels. Sometimes I also wear 2 sports tops to limit movement lol. But I always feel better for doing my exercise afterwards.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    I'm a bit of a special case, as for various (currently undiscovered) reasons, I have a constant period.

So I HAVE to work out during my period.

Before my period stopped stopping, however, I'd work out as much as I could on the period. It used to be super heavy (way more than 2-10 tbsp) and ridiculously painful, so it wasn't always too successful. But, hey, if you suffer from bad cramps, exercise can be one of the ways to ease it!
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    I've actually heard that working out can relieve the pain of cramps! Not sure what the science behind that is, perhaps it has to do with the endorphins? Anyway, I usually only have 1 or 2 bad days with my cramps and then I'm fine. It certainly doesn't stop me from working out, although I may not work out as intensely. I try not to use my period as an excuse to overeat and not exercise, but of course sometimes my hormones get the best of me ;) I also always feel outrageously fat during my period, which can be motivating or demoralizing depending on my mood that week!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member

I wish it was only 2- 10 tbs. On days 2,3 and 4 I am in the bathroom every 45 min. I don't sleep for 2 nights. During that time I go through about 50 products. I'd give anything to have cramps for only an hour, you are very fortunate. I don't go to the gym on those days, I use the treadmill at home but for half the time. When I work out it is heavier, but on day 1 and days 5, 6 and 7 I work out like normal. It's all up to how you feel.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    let your body and how you feel guide you :)
    for me those few days in the month I don't want to do much at all but heck I'm not going to beat myself up about having a few 'lazy' days
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Personally I find the exercise helps with the pain. I just get on with it and don't let it stop me. Goddam awful TOM :grumble: :wink:
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    I just do as much as I can.
  • handle123
    handle123 Posts: 62
    I find the exercise helps the cramps, I also have IBS and this seems to flare up more at this time of month so i actually look pregnant from all the swelling and bloating so its a bit pff putting being in the gym as i feel huge, its also very uncomfortable at first so i usually start off gentle at first like a walk on the treadmill as it seems to ease the cramps, then a lower level cross trainer.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    "Working out during period (for ladies)" try working out around women with periods lolll walking through the gym is like a bunny rabbit walking through a field of lions lolll