Working out during period (for ladies)

Replies

• just experienced my TOM about a week ago, i felt like sh**. i reallly didnt wanna do my daily bike ride. i wanted to crawl in a hole and eat everything in sight that wasnt nailed down. but i managed to get on the bike pssy mood and all and after 30 minutes of pushing and groaning and bad tempering, i felt much better, like the weight of the world was removed. no i didnt have cramps but i had the worst attitude possible and such horrible cravings (i gave in to most of them and the scale and i were enemies for a few days, but i still did it)
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    I'm lucky I get mine every few months for 3 or 4 days so I'm happy to just sit back and die for a bit
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    I work out the same amount, but I definitely get tired and achey more easily.
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    @yobhcir: How do you know when a woman has her period and when not? Do you have x-ray vision? *lol*
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    I do; I've noticed I feel better being active instead of laying on the couch miserable haha!
  • laurajethan
    laurajethan Posts: 50 Member
    I always feel like I don't want to, but then I force myself. Once I've started I feel much better :)

I am exactly the same
    Most times I even do more cause it makes my extremely bad back pain better. I fine working out realises endorpines which make you feel good and with me that theory really works
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    I do exercise but often I'm not up to my normal workout but try my best. I'm glad that I discovered a menstrual cup before I started hitting the gyms as it makes it so much easier and I don't worry about leaks ( my periods are very heavy).

I actually feel better after exercise especially emotionally and enjoy it whetever TOM it is.
  • rachey_v
    rachey_v Posts: 127 Member
    I'm a bit of a special case, as for various (currently undiscovered) reasons, I have a constant period.

So I HAVE to work out during my period.

Before my period stopped stopping, however, I'd work out as much as I could on the period. It used to be super heavy (way more than 2-10 tbsp) and ridiculously painful, so it wasn't always too successful. But, hey, if you suffer from bad cramps, exercise can be one of the ways to ease it!

Eugh, I feel your pain, hope they sort it for you!

I used to faint due to heavy periods and have been seeing a Gynaecologist since I was 14 (I started at 9) They are going to do an endometrial ablation next... definitely not all periods are the same. My sister suffers with bad migraines with hers, and my Mum was diagnosed with Hemoplegic Migraines which are worse during TOM. There is nothing I'd like to do better than sit down with a big bar of chocolate, a hot chocolate, a blanket and a book. But I push through because if I didn't I'd never work out. The pains only last 4 days, the rest is just an inconvenience.

Listen to your body. Sometimes exercise helps, sometimes you need a big pillow to huddle over.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    My heavy day with bad cramps is my second day, so I will take that day off or just go for a walk. I stil run or workout if I have a workout sceduled for any of the other days. It will generally make me feel less gloomy and sluggish after I workout.
  • Chellybell13
    Chellybell13 Posts: 54 Member
    I do apparently....Started the 30day shred on dat 1 of my period...awesome haha. It actually really takes my mind off any cramps etc during exercise and a good while after it. I'm only on day 4 and i barely even feel like it's my time of the month.
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    I'm lucky that I don't get period pains anymore (the glorious pill!) but i do feel bloated and just heavier generally and this makes me want to work out. I feel a lot better for it too!
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    I don't for the first 4 or 5 days anyway. I'm really heavy and get very bad cramps (and sickness) so I can barely get dressed most days! Also, I use pads not tampons so when I have tried before it's all just ended up a bit of a crime scene - not nice to clean up after (sorry if that's TMI!).
    I felt I wasn't giving my best either so I decided I'm better taking some days off and letting my body have a total rest then going at it extra hard after with renewed energy. Seems to work for me. It's the week before I have issues - when I'll eat everything in sight.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    For me its not the cramping but I get very tired verging on exhausted for the first 2 days. I feel very sluggish and lathergic.
    I still stay within my calories I just dont exercise those two days but I will the rest of the week
  • Kadinh
    Kadinh Posts: 6 Member
    In general I don't workout on my period. If I do it's very light. I have very painful periods and tend to bleed very heavily for the first few days. I took the pill for about 6 years & it helped so much but they took me off of it because of migraines. I have always had intensely painful cramps since I was 11 years old. I usually missed at least one day of school a month. It's also not just the first day. I'm currently on day 5 and cramped really badly for all 4 days.

After reading this I may push myself and workout more if it can help ease the cramping. Alieve helps a little bit but I'm willing to try anything to help with the pain.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    I usually do my workout as always. I do notice that I feel more sluggish (duh) and tired, but I feel better after I go...

Then I can treat myself to a little chocolate :)
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    My workouts are the same no matter what time of the month it is.
  • gemdenham
    gemdenham Posts: 12 Member
    I have to force myself to exercise during my period but find that once I'm into it I forget about it all together and always feel better for exercising.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    I carry on as normal. However, it does have an impact on performance. I tend to run slower just before and for the first few days, and I generally feel a bit blah. But on the plus side, exercise eases menstrual pain, and helps you feel less bloated and nasty.

But then I generally try not to let a period get in the way of living.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    I agree that exercise does help the cramps., especially walking Just pop a couple ibuprofen or advil during the worst cramps and work out when they're not as bad. I did that yesterday and was fine.
  • TheLessOfMe
    TheLessOfMe Posts: 71 Member
    when i get mine the cramps for the day before, the first day, and the second day are awful so i don't do anything which heavily involves my stomach! but if I do a little bit like Just Dance on the wii or something similar the pain gets a little better :)