Working out during period (for ladies)

Options

Replies

• Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My workouts are the same no matter what time of the month it is.

THIS... I don't think I have taken a day off due to TOM in 6 months.

^^ ditto.. I find that if I make myself workout out, I do feel a lot better & cramps are minimal.
  • smartmom0818
    Options
    Normally, my answer would be an astounding NO. But, I really want to make exercise a part of my daily life and I want to teach my body how to push through tough situations, and yes, my cycle is a tough situation... so from now on, I will continue working out as much as I can stand it.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    there is usually one day (towards the middle) that i just cannot. i get too lightheaded. once i almost fainted on the treadmill - not a good thing. the rest of the time i do take it a little easy. funny though at the very end i get a HUGE burst of energy and can knock out 3 miles of running no problem.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I feel better working out. It works out the cramping & bloating and gives me crazy energy, so I almost forget that I'm on it. I know some women cannot because they're in extreme pain or have a heavy flow, but I push through because mine isn't anything to cry about.
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My period is normally very heavy the 1st or 2nd day depending on what time of the day it comes on. Whne that happends i dont work out becuase i am very heavily bleeding and feel really weak. Most of the exercise i do is zumba anyway, and with all the movement i get concerned about leakage because i bleed so heavy, after that day has passed i dont mind working out at all. . But i saw someone mention on here about that cap, i looked at that before and that might not be a bad idea to get one.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I work out the same. I suck it up, and I just keep pushing. You'll feel tons better after, also (especially if you usually cramp). The release of endorphin makes everything more bearable, and losing weight will also affect your cycle (less bloating, better disposition, less cramping, etc.). Think about the long term positives of a minor inconvenience today. :smile:

THIS! Don't let Aunt Flo control your life. Good luck!
  • Scarletfire1970
    Scarletfire1970 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I work out the same amount. I try and give it my all every workout. Granted I am more tired a few days prior and during my period. I just do the best I can.
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    I do. I double up the pads, take some midol/ib profen before hand and go for it the same as usual. I never feel like it, but then again I rarely feel like exercising.
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I still workout depending how bad it is,sometimes not at all others once or twice during that time.feel free to add me and we can support each other i know i could use some.
  • creecree66
    creecree66 Posts: 10
    Options
    I still work out and I have endometriosis, it's been proven to lessen the pain from the cysts and to help your hormones get better inbalance if you work out and have endometriosis. Lots of benefits. I just put on a tampon and go on about my day and work out. I may not work out as hard because I get bloated but there is nothing bad about it, more benefits other than feeling icky.
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As thos is my current predicament I decided against Zumba this morning as I do not feel like being in a cramped room with 20 other women, but I will exercise at home when my daughter is napping. It helps me feel better.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I do the same workout. No matter what. In fact because I am usually pms'ing and crabby I usually lift more, and lift with more intensity because I just want to be out of the gym.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have to push myself to work out because my cramps are usually unbearable. Though I'm hoping the meds my dr gave me recently will help me be able to get off of my couch. Usually I'm in tears and close to vomitting during mine so during those points I don't workout but once they start changing from unbearable to slightly tolerable then I will force myself to workout.
  • QueenB985
    QueenB985 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have found that since I started working out regularly, my periods are FAR MORE intense than before. But I workout through it because the endorphins help me overall, even though the workouts make my cramps 100x worse! I have found also that if I increase my water intake and workout during, I have a decent weightloss at the end.....seems to be worth it! :)
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Try swimming. It is a good workout for during your period!
  • QueenB985
    QueenB985 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Normally, my answer would be an astounding NO. But, I really want to make exercise a part of my daily life and I want to teach my body how to push through tough situations, and yes, my cycle is a tough situation... so from now on, I will continue working out as much as I can stand it.

You go girl!!!!!!!! :)
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, if I'm going full force with workouts I can generally breeze through doing it that time of the month. If that time starts on non-active weeks then it gets the best of me and I have to take rest days until it's over.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Im a runner and usually run or row every day. However, I get horrible lower back pain during this time and nothing helps. Its difficult to run with the back pain so I will modify if I need to. Last night instead of doing a 3 mile run I walked the dogs for 3 miles. Is it the same? No...but its still SOMETHING. I dont get traditional cramps often, but when I get those (and dont have the back pain), I push through the workout. If only I didnt have the back pain I would be fine to workout hard. But my body usually enjoys the lighter week of working out and I usually come back stronger the next week. I also planned my running training plan to have 3 hard weeks then 1 taper week where I do about 50% of the normal mileage running and 50% walking. So it all works out.

I have noticed when I have races during the time, I run about 10 seconds slower per mile and struggle a lot more with body temp. Its uncomfortable, but not impossible.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    absolutely NOTHING changes for me when I have my period-
    Is this an excuse for some? Or is it that bad?? Been getting it almost 30 years- have had 3 babies- I know women who call out once a month from it- and if I was their boss Id figure out a way to fire them.

Makes women look bad when we complain about our period I believe.
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    I push through. Most times I feel better afterward. I don't let it get in the way of my routines. I drink plenty of water to help with the bloat and just push through. I do a lot of 5K runs, and there have been plenty of times a race has come up during that time. Not much I can do about it so I just keep going.