Ladies! I need some opinions!

Options

Replies

• CassieD2008
    CassieD2008 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Go with NuvaRing. No worries, no weight gain and no cravings at all for me.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    When I was 18, I was prescribed Alesse. I do think it helped in me gaining weight, but I had other changes that I went through during that time period as well. The biggest problem was that it made me VERY emotional and moody. After about a year, I switched to Tri-cyclen Lo. It has the least amount of hormones (or one of the least anyway) ... but of course it still works the same. Since then, I have not been as moody. And I haven't noticed as much of a weight gain with it. I'd recommend Tri-Cyclen Lo :)
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. I'm on the pill and have been forever. Been thinking about the shot.
  • prismperfect
    prismperfect Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Pill for me, (Tri-sprintec, generic ortho tricyclen), I've been on it for 10 years. I gained about 50 lbs after starting it, however I also moved in with my now husband at that time, and we ate really unhealthy too. So I'm not sure which one caused it, maybe a little of both, but more than likely the bad food. (Taco Bell, Ramen, Hot pockets and Mountain dew every day? ugh.) I had no clue how many calories I was eating, but it was probably likely 3x what I'm eating with MFP.

I thought I was locked in to a certain weight for many years because of the pill, turns out I wasn't really trying apparently, as that "locked in" weight was 26 lbs ago. I'm actually surprised how easy it's been using MFP and tracking everything, it's just slowly trickling off.

So everybody's body is different, but in my case I don't think it was much of a factor looking back.
  • rcbeck99
    rcbeck99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Had an IUD twice. Once after each of my boys was born. Loved it! No problems and hardly any period. Last fall we were going to try for baby #3 so I had it removed. Then life happened and we decided two may be plenty so I got on the pill. First pill made me crazy. I mean, crying over everything, super moody. So they put me on a different pill. Things have been better but still not like I was when I had the IUD so I am currently awaiting my appointment to have an IUD put back in.
  • starfish1783
    starfish1783 Posts: 120
    Options
    I'm currently on a low-estrogen pill and haven't gained any weight. I was told the shot would make me put on about 10-20 lbs. though. I've been on the pill since I was 14 (for other menstrual problems) and never really had any weight problems.

Whatever form you choose, PLEASE be careful! I developed a blood clot (2 to be exact) in my upper right leg and now I'm on blood thinners for the rest of my life AND i have horrible varicose veins. My leg looks like a Colorado roadmap! I was bed-ridden for 5 weeks and on crutches for another 4-6 weeks. So, please be very cautious of what you decide to go with. I'm not trying to freak anyone out - just being realistic.
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm on the pill: Microgynon 30 and I haven't gained. When I first went on the pill 4 years ago, I did gain, but that's not to say it was the pill, I can't remember terribly well, but I think my crappy food choices were more to do with the weight gain than the actual pill. But everyone will react differently to differnt types of brith control. Choose what is best for you. The only thing with the pill is make sure you have a daily alarm or something so you don't forget to take it =]
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    i've been on the pill for 12 years. i can't really blame my weight on it, because i've been a yo yo person with bad eating habits since before i started it. it has helped immensely with cramps and mood swings.

but like so many have said before me, i think they affect everyone differently. just make sure you tell your doc you are working on your weight and want to take that into consideration.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've been on just about everything but I will start with saying that everyone is different.

In my experience - I gained the most weight on the shot.

I gained a trivial amount of weight on Nuvaring and with the pill. I haven't gained on my current form (Mirena).

I have not had an implant but a friend of mine has it and hasn't actually gained anything.

I'm not a doctor - but I do believe that every form of birthcontrol COULD make you gain weight. What I've gained on others haven't and vice versa. You could always try the shot once or twice and if you are gaining - switch it up. Good luck!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for the last 2 years...I'm not sure about whether or not I initially gained weight. I know I put on weight just before my wedding (20 months ago), but most of that was stress-related. I have since lost 35 pounds, so you can definitely still lose while on it. I hope you find one that's right for you!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena IUD for 5 years and it was great...weaker periods, less cramping, completely immediately reversible, no mood shifts...it was really great!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The "shot" is what caused me to bleed consistently for an entire year. While it might not do that to everyone, I certainly do not recommend that route. At least with the pill you can stop taking it if there is something that needs to be adjusted, the shot is in there no matter what.
  • Silence88
    Silence88 Posts: 26
    Options
    The shot was the worst experience with any form of medication in my life. i would never recommend it, it's too extreme. It causes osteoporosis in young women as well.
  • tubway
    tubway Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have not taken birth control for over ten years. I took it for a couple of years and my weight crept up pretty fast and then as soon as I stopped taking it, I'm talking a matter of two weeks, I dropped 20-25 lbs. No joke. Was it the birth control that made me gain weight? I don't know but like I said, dropping 20-25 lbs in two weeks after stopping seems like pretty good evidence to me. I haven't taken any since. Plus it made me moody :/ I've never had the shot or an IUD so I can't speak as to their effects.
  • jenndb3
    jenndb3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been on the Mirena for a 1 1/2 yrs. I love it! No periods at all. I really haven't noticed any weight gain since just the last few months, but I think it has nothing to do with the IUD. I have become lazy and I don't do anything and eat junk. That's why I started this program.
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I loved Loestrin 24! Took that for several months, then switched to the generic brand (Junel) as soon as it became available. Kept my skin clear, didn't have any noticeable side effects, my periods only lasted 2-3 days & the only time I actually noticed a significant weight gain was when I stopped taking it! lol. Good luck!
  • Crystleen
    Crystleen Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Been on Orthotricylcin for 15 years, no problems, no weight gain on it, my weight gain was from me being lazy and eating the wrong foods!
  • megannicolex33
    Options
    This is just my experience, and it's pretty rare, so take it with a grain of salt. I just feel it's worth mentioning. I was on Yaz birth control and ended up in the hospital with a Pulmonary Embolism. Actually, I had several clots in BOTH lungs - I think the term was "multiple bilateral pulmonary emboli". Scary stuff. This was just last year, I was only 20 when it happened, and I could have easily died. So yeah, when you see those commercials about Yaz causing blood clots, it's no joke! I have to be on a blood thinning medication from now on and get my blood taken every 2 weeks to make sure my levels are normal. Yaz completely changed my life, I never ever recommend it to anyone.

On another note, I have Implanon now and I like it a lot. It's the little rod that they insert into your arm and it's there for 3 years. It's extremely effective, I don't have to worry about remembering to take a pill, and I almost never have periods anymore! It hurt a little bit to have it inserted but I think it was worth it. :)
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight at all on it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I recommend Ortho Tri-cyclen -- no weight gain and clear skin. (As someone mentioned, do NOT let your doctor prescribe you Yaz, Yasmin or Ocella. There has been a lot of controversy surrounding them.)