Late morning hunger (more like starvation!)

Options
1235»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Also - From your pic, you don't have a lot of weight to lose (it's aesthetic at this point rather than for health reasons, am I correct?) yet from your ticker you still want to lose 10+ more. You and I have similar body types... I ate 2000 calories yesterday. Your picture was taken in a gym, I have to assume that you must be doing some kind of physical activity. 1200 calories might work for someone who has a lot to lose and isn't very active, or a thin model who doesn't have an ounce of muscle, but I have a strong feeling that you're fighting against yourself with the rules you've set for your body.
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    very first post people

http://www.leangains.com/

/discussion
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    Not sure if anyone suggested it already (don't have time to read through all the posts, sorry!) but maybe you could eat lunch at 11:00 if you're that hungry?? I used to have it stuck in my head that I had to wait until 12 or 1 to eat lunch, but was STARVING from 11:00 on. (I eat breakfast around 6:30-7). About a year ago I started just eating lunch at 11 or 11:30 when I was hungry, and this has made a HUGE difference!
  • Alaarie
    Alaarie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my breakfast until 9:00. Our mornings are crazy so it's basically grab a cup of coffee and get the kids out the door. About 9:00, when the coffee's gone, I'll grab a packet of oatmeal, pour hot water over it, and let it sit a few minutes. Between working, it takes a good hour or so to eat. That keeps my tummy busy until lunch at noon.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I keep snacks close by otherwise when that hunger hits if I have to wait until 1 p.m. to eat I am not going to make proper choices, I am going to binge and I am going to feel awful afterwards and then think - man, if I had just gotten control of it.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When your body is telling you it needs more fuel, what are the reasons why you deprive it?
    Could you eat a part of your lunch at 11 and the remainder at 1?
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    very first post people

/discussion

THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! Thanks fhsjewfro.... This is why I don't eat breakfast... this happens to me. I am bookmarking it this time so I don’t loose it!!!

Article is called "Why Does Breakfast Make Me Hungry?"

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    very first post people

/discussion

THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! Thanks fhsjewfro.... This is why I don't eat breakfast... this happens to me. I am bookmarking it this time so I don’t loose it!!!

You do realize that if the OP is ravenously hungry she should prob eat, right?
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    OP, I hope you are reading this:
    Okay but you need to take a step back and look at your situation realistically. You're trying to get through (let's say) 14 hours on 100 calories. You are focusing really hard on disciplining yourself to not to want to eat, when you SHOULD be eating, and for a reason I can't really understand. For one, your diet is already very low calorie (1200). Furthermore, you're trying to pidgeonhole your body into rules for when you are allowing yourself to eat. But you're asking for advice on how to trick your body into not feeling legitimately hungry. Drugs, I guess.

Eating too little, and too infrequently, is not a healthy habit. If you don't like breakfast, then don't eat it. Eat when you're hungry. Would you rather do a 10:30am "brunch" kind of deal? Then do that. The timing of your meals is going to have no effect on your fitness goals.

Any by the way, you can't boost your metabolism or slow it down in the course of a day based on what you eat, or when you eat. But if you eat too little for too long, you can slow down your metabolic rate considerably. I suggest not using any "starvation" or "deprivation" methods. Losing weight doesn't have to mean being hungry. If it does, it's not a sustainable plan.
    Also - From your pic, you don't have a lot of weight to lose (it's aesthetic at this point rather than for health reasons, am I correct?) yet from your ticker you still want to lose 10+ more. You and I have similar body types... I ate 2000 calories yesterday. Your picture was taken in a gym, I have to assume that you must be doing some kind of physical activity. 1200 calories might work for someone who has a lot to lose and isn't very active, or a thin model who doesn't have an ounce of muscle, but I have a strong feeling that you're fighting against yourself with the rules you've set for your body.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    very first post people

/discussion

You do realize that if the OP is ravenously hungry she should prob eat, right?

Heck yah! But I get ravenously hungry if I do eat early in the morning about an hour later. She might just be the girl who needs a huge breakfast or maybe that will make it worse! Who knows. She has to find what works for her and her body and her lifestyle. As do you with yours! I tired eating later and larger later like you tend to do, thanks for writing me back by the way, however I found out I like my big meals in the 12-3pm range and I don’t like to eat as much at night. Works for me so far and I like it! :)
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    To eat isn't the problem...but it's WHAT you eat that can go both ways .... so you are hungry. ok, eat.

not a snack wrap from McDonalds...but almonds, apricots, apples.

this isn't rocket surgery. ;)
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    When your body is telling you it needs more fuel, what are the reasons why you deprive it?
    Could you eat a part of your lunch at 11 and the remainder at 1?

That's exactly what I'm going to do.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Aesthetic and I want to tone. My upper thighs are much "healthier" than that pic makes them appear! The 1,200 number came from MFP when I signed up and put in my stats and goals. However, I feel like I should be working more with a 1,400 range. I keep it at 1,200 knowing I have 200 cal floating.

I'm coming from a bagel and coffee with cream type of morning routine, so maybe I'm just being a little too extreme. I lost my first 15 lbs relatively quickly but now I'm plateu-ing so I need to make a change.