Options
13»

Replies

• 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I have to quote Rippetoe on this one:
    "If you insist on wearing gloves, make sure they match your purse. "

In all seriousness: Gloves don't prevent callouses, and they hurt your grip. Ditch 'em.

Love that guy. Gloves do really hurt your grip.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Dunno. Maybe because I'm not a guy and therefore not lifting heavy heavy,

What does your gender have to do with whether you lift heavy ? :angry:

Because, in general, guys ARE able to lift way more than women, so maybe there is some difference in whether or not gloves make a difference in how it works for them. And it was a guy asking the question getting responses from mostly guys. I lift pretty heavy, but it's nowhere near what a fit -- or even not so fit -- guy can, and I don't want to assume what works for me works for someone else who has a pretty different physicality in the first place. Don't worry -- I'm not into diminishing myself because I'm a woman. No need to get snarky. Maybe try and not read into things and making them what they're not.
  • FlamingJune67
    FlamingJune67 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh, for heaven's sake! Don't let something like gloves define your "manhood". I have a lot more respect for a man wearing gloves in the squat rack (you know, doing actual squats) than a gloveless, macho wannabe on the Smith machine. Everyone has a different idea of what tough and manly looks like and the only opinions that should matter are yours and your SO.
    And yes, my man and I both wear gloves. We like our nice, smooth back rubs :)
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Consider the calauses a badge of honor that you are earning, and don't worry about what others think. Train hard, with or without gloves.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

People need to stop worrying about what everyone else in the gym is wearing. This isn't a fashion show. If I'm wrong tell me and I might actually comb my hair before I do cardio in the morning. I hope it's not affecting my running.

^^^^^^^
    That right there, but x100. And all due respect, but Rippetoe was a professional power lifter and now makes his living coaching world class strength athletes. I don't drive my car on the 405 the way that Matt Kenseth drives at Talledega and I don't coordinate my Zegna suits with my Air Force Ones like Kanye at the VMAs. Rip can do whatever he wants with his hands because iron is his JOB. Everyone else is allowed to decide for themselves without being labeled as some sort of pansy.
  • demonsoul
    demonsoul Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i tried the whole glove thing for a while and my hands still wound up rough. And i also dont feel like i have a good enough grip on the weight when i use them. my 2cents
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think I want some hot pink gloves for a fashion statement... maybe with some bedazzled jewels... whatcha think? :love:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have to quote Rippetoe on this one:
    "If you insist on wearing gloves, make sure they match your purse. "

In all seriousness: Gloves don't prevent callouses, and they hurt your grip. Ditch 'em.

I like my gloves. Rippetoe can kiss my *kitten*.