Tubal ligation

Replies

• MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Tubal ligation done 16 yrs ago...best decision of my life besides hysterectomy 11 yrs ago. There should be no complications or weight gain/loss as they are not messing with your hormones.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,241 Member

I had Essure done about 16 months ago. I've had no side effects at all. You do have to carry a little card with you (I guess like if you go through airports??) that says you have a metal implant inside of you. The procedure was super easy. They go in vaginally and implant the coils. I was a bit crampy afterward, but returned to work the next day. My doctor put me under conscious sedation so I was asleep the whole time, but I think some doctors do it if you're awake too. The only down side to this is that you have to wait 3 months and go back in for an hsg procedure, where they put dye through you to make sure your tubes are blocked. So you have to be on birth control or use condoms during that time. I went with Essure because there was no surgery involved, and I love it.
    Actually, the card isn't necessary for airports. The coils are titanium, but you should show the card to your other doctors...
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    There's a procedure called Essure where your doctor inserts a metal coil into your tubes and the scar tissue builds up around it - it's much less invasive than a traditional tubal and, while uncomfortable when implanted, might be a better options.

I did this. I was acutally surprised by the amount of pain I felt during this process but in the end it was worth it.

@Nelski
    How long ago did you have Essure done? Any side effects? I'm scheduled to have it done in September.

I had Essure done about 16 months ago. I've had no side effects at all. You do have to carry a little card with you (I guess like if you go through airports??) that says you have a metal implant inside of you. The procedure was super easy. They go in vaginally and implant the coils. I was a bit crampy afterward, but returned to work the next day. My doctor put me under conscious sedation so I was asleep the whole time, but I think some doctors do it if you're awake too. The only down side to this is that you have to wait 3 months and go back in for an hsg procedure, where they put dye through you to make sure your tubes are blocked. So you have to be on birth control or use condoms during that time. I went with Essure because there was no surgery involved, and I love it.
    I was never told about this card and problems at the airport. I have flown a few times since and haven't had any issues.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    I had tubal ligation a year ago. Since then I have hit my lowest weight and most fit status to date. Really, it comes down to no hormones added to my body, no worries about pain from inflammation from the IUD if I workout really hard, and no worries if I'm late.

The pain immediately after the procedure was Bad. Then they gave me percocet and I was fine. I took half a percocet as directed the first day and even did laundry (sitting down) and dishes that night. The second day I took maybe a total of 2, and slow walking, etc. By 8 days after, I jogged 2.5 miles and felt fantastic!

Would I do it again? HECK YES!!! I only wish I'd done it sooner!

ETA: my periods are exactly the same as before, maybe a little lighter. I've noticed with the weight loss (now at a very healthy weight), they're a lot easier to handle, NOTHING like they were when I was over 200# :sick:
  • melann1974
    melann1974 Posts: 84
    I had a tubal in 2009 with an endometrial ablation (removing of the uterine lining). My non existent periods are due to the ablation. My recovery was horrible, but not sure if it was the tubal, the ablation or other procedures I had done (laser removal of precancerous cells and a D&C). For the first 2 days, I was in severe pain. Took several weeks to get back to "normal". I still can feel the metal clips at times and they hurt, but not very often. However, it is still much better than being on BC (had horrible side effects on it).
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    I had it done. No side effects surgery wise, but ever since my periods and cramps are a lot worse! I still would have done it again though
  • 4x4play
    4x4play Posts: 200 Member
    no side effects. I had mine done 5 years ago after the birth of my 2nd child. It was done the day after so my recovery was also while I was recovering from giving birth. I have a scar inside my belly button. Everything else is still the same. If I could go back I would probably not have done it at such a young age. Just make sure you are 100% sure it is something you want to do!
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Personally I had mine done the day after my 2nd child was born 4 yrs ago. No weight gain but I swear I can feel when I ovulate more now. Pretty much a crampy day between cycles. I also thought it was the reason I was having horrible TOMs but after loosing 40 lbs that has changed significantly.

I had a friend do the Essure thing. She had horrible scarring and they are having to go back in remove the coils and do a regular tubal later after she heals again. To me there is not enough study behind the Essure for me, I told my doctor no that I wanted it cut/tied/burned.

To each their own, wish you the best of luck in what ever you may choose.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,241 Member
    I was never told about this card and problems at the airport. I have flown a few times since and haven't had any issues.

Yeah, you don't need it for airports. The next time I went to see my GP, I showed her the card and I think she made a copy of it for my file. But that was the only thing I ever needed it for. Also, if you're having some type of abdominal x-ray, you might want to let them know. They're not magnetic or whatever you call it, so they're not an issue with MRIs either.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I had mine done during my last c-section about 9 years ago. I was already obese when I got pregnant and then there was pregnancy weight. I can't say for sure if it had any impact on my weight. There are 2 types of litigation; one reversible and one that isn't. For some people who get the permanent procedure, the tubes sometimes grow back, but I think the occurrence of it is vary rare. My litigation hasn't failed me. Pregnancy-free since 2003. :)
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    www.essure.com

-much less invasive. same day surgery, too.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Had it done in april, love it, I took it easy for one week.

No side effect....well my cycle are messed up but it was before the tubal. My dr told me that weird cycles are possible.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member

Actually, the card isn't necessary for airports. The coils are titanium, but you should show the card to your other doctors...
    Ahh okay. They didn't tell me why I needed it, just to have it on me at all times. :)
  • Yellabutterfly05
    Yellabutterfly05 Posts: 43 Member
    I had mine back in 2007 after giving birth to my third. I have regretted it once or twice now that my youngest is entering K in the fall; however when I'm out and I see women struggling with baby seats and strollers I'm glad those days are long gone. I made the decision of the tubal b/c none of the other birth control methods worked for me in the past. LOL
    No side effects, weight gain/loss AND one less thing to worry about.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Also an essure procedure. Can't do it if you are allergic to nickel though, that's what the inserts are. It was done in April, had my test in july and tubes are blocked. Procedure was office visit but testing to make sure it took goes toward deductible on insurance. I had spotting for a month or so, until I got my first period after havining it done. I wasn't out but on several muscle relaxers and a valium so I was a bit loopy. I'm glad I went this way.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    I had mine back in 2007 after giving birth to my third. I have regretted it once or twice now that my youngest is entering K in the fall; however when I'm out and I see women struggling with baby seats and strollers I'm glad those days are long gone. I made the decision of the tubal b/c none of the other birth control methods worked for me in the past. LOL
    No side effects, weight gain/loss AND one less thing to worry about.

I went thru a few attacks of serious baby fever, where if it hadn't been done I would have been doing my best to talk him into a third! I even looked up reversals :noway: Now my youngest is 8 and i just call it temporary insanity, lol! I'll settle for snuggling my niece's new baby girl in a few months :happy:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    I plan to do it when I get the money
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    I have a tubal ligation!!!! I put in a ! because I'm really reallly really happy that I have it, lol. I have three kids born within 4 years of each other so....yeah. Done! I haven't noticed any side effects. All they did was literally cut out a portion of each tube and cauterize the cuts, leaving a big blank space where the eggs want to go, lol. They don't do anything that should really mess with any natural hormones. Your ovaries and stuff are still intact. The only real risk is that if you do get pregnant, which is rare, you might have a higher chance of ectopic pregnancy. But its not that high, and the risk of getting pregnant at all is really low. Just don't rush into it! The chances of undoing it are super slim to none. They tried to talk me out of it like 300 times, just because of my age and because they have to to make sure that you reallllly want it done. You can pm me if you have any other questions.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
    seems like i am the only one who had a terrible time with pain right after the surgery. i forgot to mention they went though my belly button, so no scars!
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    I had mine done about a month ago and have had no problems at all. It was an outpatient surgery and they used only one small incision inside my belly button. Took half a pain pill that night and I was up and running around the next day. I decided to do a tubal versus Essure because I'd heard horror stories about how painful the procedure is and the troubles you can have if you develop a titanium allergy down the road. Going with the tubal was the best decision I've ever made!