Olympics 2012

Options
Treadmillmom1st
Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
It's finally here Olympics 2012 is about to begin.

I'm really excited, I can't wait to see the opening ceremony.

Driving into work at 08.12 listening to church bells peeling, hand bells were ringing,

The 12 hour countdown to 20.12 has officially begun.

Whoa........

Replies

• elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It definately got more real for us once the torch arrived in London -seemed it was never gonna get here!
    Took the children to see it on Weds and they were very excited. Out tonight to see the opening ceremony on a big screen at the local scout hut and there's a BBQ/bouncy castle etc.
    Have fun everyone, whatever you're doing :)
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    I too got my children out of bed 6am one Sunday morning to watch the torch pass locally. The children were initially releuctant and moped about but once we approached the streets and saw the crowds they got carried along by the atmostphere and they had the opportunity to have their photo taken holding the torch. They were thrilled, was so pleased they'd made the effort in the end.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am so excited for the Olympics! I can't wait to see the opening cerimony (on TV, from Italy).
    My favourite disciplines are athletics, equestrian, gymnastics (both rythmic and artistic) and taekwondo.

I can't wait to see what the Italian rythmic gymnastics team will do - they are pretty strong.

I am always grumpy that the Olympic committee would be condescending with Saudi Arabia and those Countries that don't allow women to take part of the games, though. It kind of ruins the spirit for me.
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    Bah humbug I am sick to death of the Olympics !!

2 months of non stop flying restrictions, the newspapers, radio, tv full of nothing but Olympic coverage and hardly any proper news

The roads are clogged, the tube is clogged , tourists are being ripped off from the price of a beer to the hotel rooms they are staying in.

And we will never be told the truth about how much more it has cost against how much revenue it brought in.

In a country where everything from the roads to the NHS is falling apart through lack of money I think you can count me out of the celebrations !
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So excited....the openings cerimonies sound like they will be fantastic!!!!
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

2 months of non stop flying restrictions, the newspapers, radio, tv full of nothing but Olympic coverage and hardly any proper news

The roads are clogged, the tube is clogged , tourists are being ripped off from the price of a beer to the hotel rooms they are staying in.

And we will never be told the truth about how much more it has cost against how much revenue it brought in.

In a country where everything from the roads to the NHS is falling apart through lack of money I think you can count me out of the celebrations !

I agree completed!! But being a Northerner I'm bound to - we're not seeing any of the "benefits" up here!!!
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So excitied ....... it is finaly here!!! Great buzz in London :laugh:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I live next door to Stratford in Leyton, and despite the likely disruption to local transport, I cannot wait for the Olympics to start. I have tickets to a few events and will get to go inside the stadium and the aquatic centre. I am also enjoying the general buzz surrounding Stratford, and love walking past the village and seeing all the different countries flags in the windows of the athlete's accomodation.

Most of my fellow Londoner's seem a bit bah humbug about the Olympics, but we are a miserable bunch generally :grumble:
  • jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    Is it showing on TV? what time? what channel?!
  • TheLittleVoice91
    Options
    The ceremony is going to be so embarrassing :( I think I'm going to migrate.
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am a bit excited - but being up in Aberdeen I am sick to death of the "national" news and radio banging on about London 2012. I don;t care if the tubes are busy! Saying that I am excited for my trip down the road at the end of august (am originally from Kent). I'm hoping to see one of my school firends in the heptathlon so that will keep me looking out!
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do wish I'd heard the bells though - was walking to work and didn't hear a peep here!
  • TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    Definitely looking forward to the opening ceremony tonight, actually a bit bummed about the torch since the day it passed through my village was a week after I'd gone abroad to Africa .. darn it! Can't wait to see the horse-riding!
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'll be watching them! Looking forward to the opening ceremonies. Not on till 9:00 pm EST. I'm planning on coloring my hair before they start. An exciting Friday night. haha
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    'jesshall281 I guess it depends on whay country you're in but the BBC will be broadcasting the countdown to the Opening Ceremony at 7pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/2012/
  • jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    I guess it depends on whay country you're in but the BBC will be broadcasting the countdown to the Opening Ceremony at 7pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/2012/

Thank you! We get BBC in South Africa. so i can watch it *happy Dance*
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

I agree completed!! But being a Northerner I'm bound to - we're not seeing any of the "benefits" up here!!!

Most Londoners aren't seeing the 'benefits' either - just a whole lot of hassle. For example, we're told to avoid taking public transport if possible (that's assuming your bus route hasn't been cancelled for 'security' or the road races), but they've taken all the Boris Bike docks around Hyde Park (major cycle route) out of service, meaning fewer bikes available, and nowhere to dock bikes if you ride in to the West End from further out.

The illogic and disregard for people's need to continue with their everyday lives is sickening, as is the disregard for every other event in the capital. The Proms, for example, at the Royal Albert Hall... a 100-year-plus summer tradition, with several thousand people exiting after 10pm every evening, but there are no buses in that area after 9pm for the duration. A lot of people couldn't give two hoots about the Olympics, but are nonetheless expected to tolerate the prioritisation of sports and their 'needs' above all else with good grace and excitement, no less.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Options
    The ceremony is going to be so embarrassing :( I think I'm going to migrate.

C'mon, be open minded.
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    Options

That's because it is the "London" Olympics.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Hooray for Olympics. OFcourse that means that for the next two weeks I'll be exhausted since I'll stay too late watching them. It could be interesting though this year as I'll be the US for the first week and Canada for much of the second. It will be good for me to see how other countries emphasize people.