Olympics 2012

Replies

• RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    The ceremony is going to be so embarrassing :( I think I'm going to migrate.

If they are planning to wheel out Paul McCartny again then I have a feeling that you may be right.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    The torch passed through my city ages ago!
    I hope the ceremony isn't too awful- I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of second hand embarrassment going on for us Brits haha. But people have to remember we're just a small island... we can't put on the spectacle that Beijing did. Still will hopefully be pretty awesome though, and I can't wait to watch the diving.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    It's finally here Olympics 2012 is about to begin.

I'm really excited, I can't wait to see the opening ceremony.

Driving into work at 08.12 listening to church bells peeling, hand bells were ringing,

The 12 hour countdown to 20.12 has officially begun.

Whoa........
    Olympics started on Wednesday...
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    I hope the ceremony isn't too awful- I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of second hand embarrassment going on for us Brits haha. But people have to remember we're just a small island... we can't put on the spectacle that Beijing did. Still will hopefully be pretty awesome though, and I can't wait to watch the diving.
    Small Island. lol
  • makemewannadie
    Small Island. lol

The UK is allegedly around the same size as the state of Oregon! So pretty small ;p
  • JDUR19
    JDUR19 Posts: 60 Member
    Bah humbug I am sick to death of the Olympics !!

2 months of non stop flying restrictions, the newspapers, radio, tv full of nothing but Olympic coverage and hardly any proper news

The roads are clogged, the tube is clogged , tourists are being ripped off from the price of a beer to the hotel rooms they are staying in.

And we will never be told the truth about how much more it has cost against how much revenue it brought in.

In a country where everything from the roads to the NHS is falling apart through lack of money I think you can count me out of the celebrations !

Quite right! I'm from Northern Ireland and havent seen any benefits of it. This isn't the English Olympic Games, it's the British Olympic games and we will see no monetary benefit I'm sure. Also I'm disgusted that Stuart Pearce only chose English and Welsh players for the Olympic football team. It's supposed to be a British football team, not a young English and Welsh FA select. Absolutely insulting.
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member

2 months of non stop flying restrictions, the newspapers, radio, tv full of nothing but Olympic coverage and hardly any proper news

The roads are clogged, the tube is clogged , tourists are being ripped off from the price of a beer to the hotel rooms they are staying in.

And we will never be told the truth about how much more it has cost against how much revenue it brought in.

In a country where everything from the roads to the NHS is falling apart through lack of money I think you can count me out of the celebrations !

Quite right! I'm from Northern Ireland and havent seen any benefits of it. This isn't the English Olympic Games, it's the British Olympic games and we will see no monetary benefit I'm sure. Also I'm disgusted that Stuart Pearce only chose English and Welsh players for the Olympic football team. It's supposed to be a British football team, not a young English and Welsh FA select. Absolutely insulting.

The Olympics is awarded to a city not a country. Hence it is the "London" Olympics. It is not and never has been the British Olympic games. You should not expect to see any benefits living in Northern Ireland.

Stuart Pearce did not pick any Northern Irish players because there are not any that meet the qualifying criteria who are good enough to be selected. Personally I do not think that Football has any business being an Olympic sport but that is another topic.
  • makemewannadie

The Olympics is awarded to a city not a country. Hence it is the "London" Olympics. It is not and never has been the British Olympic games. You should not expect to see any benefits living in Northern Ireland.

This! I\ve tried to explain this to some friends from Wales who are getting fed up with the Big Ben logo and the London Eye being splashed about everywhere.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Dreading it, but then I live in East London so I'm sick of it all already.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Totally sick of it. BUT I do like how Boris is singlehandedly dragging some more joviality into it. After all, if he's going to be rude about Mitt Romney and be the public face of London, it's hard not to smile!

The whole attitude towards trademark infringement is ridiculous though and all involved should be ashamed of themselves.

I think I'm getting dragged to watch the cycling at some point. I may be persuaded to care about the rowing. But that's about it. Athletics ain't my thing.
  • BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    I can't wait, I live 5 mins from one of the venues. This is great for London and the UK. Shame I can't see opening ceremony in the stadium but will be watching it in 3D on my big telly.
  • TheLessOfMe
    TheLessOfMe Posts: 71 Member
    The ceremony is going to be so embarrassing :( I think I'm going to migrate.

haha yes. anything that involves live farm animals isn't going to be "a spectacular event" as it was described on the radio this morning!! I'm looking forward to it though as if it's completely crap the world will be able to see what the British do best. Take the piss out of ourselves!!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Looking forward to it! Most likely i'll watch TKD, Judo, Wrestling, and Boxing.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,585 Member
    I'm really excited about it!

I live in Manchester so we're having a very small part in hosting the football (games already played here and the opening cermony hasn't even happened, us Northerners are SO ahead of the game, lol! :laugh: )

I'm proud to be British and I'm proud of the fact we've had the opportunity to hold such a display, such diversity, so many amazing athletes and such fantastic facilities which OUR athletes will still be able to use in years to come.

I can't WAIT to see what Danny Boyle does for the opening ceremony, I'm hoping for an all out Bonkers British Bonanza that shows off our creativity and some of the many wonders of our tiny islands!!

Rule Britannia and God Save The Queen!!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • TheLessOfMe
    Personally I do not think that Football has any business being an Olympic sport but that is another topic.

agreed! I've never understood how sports like football, basketball and tennis get away with having professional sportsmen and women when the olympics is supposed to be non-professional!!
  • makemewannadie
    Personally I do not think that Football has any business being an Olympic sport but that is another topic.

agreed! I've never understood how sports like football, basketball and tennis get away with having professional sportsmen and women when the olympics is supposed to be non-professional!!

You think basketball shouldn't be in the olympics, i'll tell you what is a joke... synchronised swimming! ;p
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Seriously people we are on a fitness site complaining about the biggest sporting event this country has ever seen?! You are going to see athletes perform in ways you could only ever dream of!

Personally I can't wait! OK so I live 200 miles away from London so the disruption isn't going to affect me, yes I do think that the two biggest sponsors are corrupt but you know what.... Who cares!! If they want to throw their money at this, then so be it!

I am a cyclist in the UK, I support the riders on Team Sky but I hate everything that Sky stands for, you know what, I let it go because if they want to throw their money to support the riders and help them perform to the best of their ability then so be it.

I only like a few of the sports in the Olympics but I am going to be supporting Team GB all the way!

Haterz gonna hate!

:grumble:

Edited to say I know someone who has been to the dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony this week and she says it's completely "AMAZEBALLS!!" and I trust her judgement. Danny Boyle should never be underestimated, just look at his films!!
  • JDUR19
    JDUR19 Posts: 60 Member

Stuart Pearce did not pick any Northern Irish players because there are not any that meet the qualifying criteria who are good enough to be selected. Personally I do not think that Football has any business being an Olympic sport but that is another topic.

Neither do I. If it's the "London" olympics then why are all the events not staged in London. It has to be on way or the other mate. It's either the "London" Olympics held in London or the "British" Olympics held in the UK. We're all meant to get behind the British teams, but how do they expect to build support for the British teams when all of the UK is not represented in the sports. He should at least for good measure have put a decent young Northern Irish and Scottish player in the squad even if he didn't play them to show his team spirit he goes on about. May the "British" football team fail in every aspect.
  • BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    I'm really excited about it!

I live in Manchester so we're having a very small part in hosting the football (games already played here and the opening cermony hasn't even happened, us Northerners are SO ahead of the game, lol! :laugh: )

I'm proud to be British and I'm proud of the fact we've had the opportunity to hold such a display, such diversity, so many amazing athletes and such fantastic facilities which OUR athletes will still be able to use in years to come.

I can't WAIT to see what Danny Boyle does for the opening ceremony, I'm hoping for an all out Bonkers British Bonanza that shows off our creativity and some of the many wonders of our tiny islands!!

Rule Britannia and God Save The Queen!!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Good for you. :) love it. God Save The Queen
  • TheLessOfMe

You think basketball shouldn't be in the olympics, i'll tell you what is a joke... synchronised swimming! ;p

i didn't say I didn't think it should be in the olympics, to be fair i don't care either way! but letting people do it who get paid to do it anyway is a joke! (as is synchronised swimming, yes!!)

proper swimming is one of the good sports though - a family friend of ours is in the GB team! :D