Olympics 2012

Options

Replies

• nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing lots of fit men in tight fitting lycra shorts. There, I said it. My name is Claire and I am an athlete perve.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    So exciting. :happy:
  • annasara21
    annasara21 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It seems like months ago the torch was in Glasgow! I was at Olympic football yesterday here (before the opening ceremony!). I'm not one of these 'i hate the olympics, we're rubbish at stuff like this' kind of people, but it was pretty ridiculous how badly organised things were. You couldn't bring water in but there was no free water, you had to queue for an average of half an hour at the food stalls to get any. The food stalls were selling usual football fare, pies, chips etc, not 'healthy snacks' as promised. They didn't take card despite the leaflets telling us they did. The toilet queue took about 15 mins. This was in a 52000 seater stadium which only had 37000 people in it so god know's what would have happened of they'd sold all the tickets. Also, I really don't want to complain about getting a free bus back to the city centre, but it took an hour. One hour. It's normally a 10 min drive. Apart from that it was a fun day out.
  • RF3377
    RF3377 Posts: 97
    Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing lots of fit men in tight fitting lycra shorts. There, I said it. My name is Claire and I am an athlete perve.

Your not alone don't worry! I've been an athlete perve as far back as I can remember! haha
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

Clur, I nearly shot a half chewed cherry tomato through my nose at that, pmsl! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    As a Chicagoan of Greek descent....HELL YEAH I am excited!! Summer sports in particular...can't wait-we are having a viewing party tonight at home! Enjoy it everyone!
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of Londoners and people in the UK feel the same way!! Over £9bn on a few weeks of events!!! Ridiculous!!
    Bah humbug I am sick to death of the Olympics !!

2 months of non stop flying restrictions, the newspapers, radio, tv full of nothing but Olympic coverage and hardly any proper news

The roads are clogged, the tube is clogged , tourists are being ripped off from the price of a beer to the hotel rooms they are staying in.

And we will never be told the truth about how much more it has cost against how much revenue it brought in.

In a country where everything from the roads to the NHS is falling apart through lack of money I think you can count me out of the celebrations !
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

2 months of non stop flying restrictions, the newspapers, radio, tv full of nothing but Olympic coverage and hardly any proper news

The roads are clogged, the tube is clogged , tourists are being ripped off from the price of a beer to the hotel rooms they are staying in.

And we will never be told the truth about how much more it has cost against how much revenue it brought in.

In a country where everything from the roads to the NHS is falling apart through lack of money I think you can count me out of the celebrations !

I agree completed!! But being a Northerner I'm bound to - we're not seeing any of the "benefits" up here!!!

As another Notherner I agree too! With both of these posts.

I'm sick of the TV, BBC One is all day Olympic coverage despite the BBC spending money on 20+ Olympic channels on freeview/freesat. With all those channels why can't normal service resume for license fee payers who don't care about the Olympics.

I'm so sick of it! :(
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I live 10 mins from the Olympic Park and I'm VERY proud and excited to be in the throng of mayhem for the next 3 weeks!! :laugh:

I can't believe how miserable people are about a bit of disruption. To host the Olympic games is a ONCE IN A LIFETIME opportunity. Why can't we just embrace it and be a part of it??

Northern Ireland, I love you and your accents (phwaoorr!), but you just dont have any good footballers! Team spirit is not what the games are about. It's not playtime or schoolyard picking of sides. It's a showcase for the BEST athletes in the world!! I'm sure NI will be represented in another sport, and lets face it, you have the best golfer so............stop whinging, please! :flowerforyou:

Anyway, I'm off to an olympic party tonight to celebrate the fact that we are still able to celebrate in these poor economic times!! Yes, we have entered another recession and who knows what the fallout will be in the future. Northern England, you have no idea how hard it is here. None whatsoever! But lets not turn this into a another North/South debate, cos that's really not the spirit of the games.

London may be the host city, but our representatives are TEAM GB!!! For once, will you stop with this country/region divide nonsense and celebrate TOGETHER as the TEAM of GREAT BRITAIN!!

Let the games begin!!! :bigsmile:

Gets my vote! :happy:
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I'm all over the modern pentathlon. LASER PISTOLS, people, LASER PISTOLS.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

I can't believe how miserable people are about a bit of disruption. To host the Olympic games is a ONCE IN A LIFETIME opportunity. Why can't we just embrace it and be a part of it??

Because a lot of Londoners have absolutely zero interest in sports? Sorry, Anna - I'm one of many people who really couldn't care less about the Olympics and from my perspective, I'm sick to the back teeth of sports and sporting events being given priority over just about everything else. The 'Cultural Olympiad', for example, has been a joke - an insulting sop to 'make up' for the enormous reduction in Lottery and Government funding for the arts that has resulted from the Olympics.

However, the thing I, and I suspect many others, really resent is that the organisers seem to expect all of London to stop for the duration of the games, as if we will all be glued to our screens watching breathlessly while ten men in lycra suits run very fast for 100m. Whether we'd like to be doing that or not, the fact is most of us still have to be at work by 8.30 or 9am. We still have to buy groceries and get on with our lives despite the utter chaos London has become overnight. We might want to attend a cultural event, such as the Proms, but find that the buses have been stopped in the name of sport. We shouldn't take tubes or buses anyway, because they're for the tourists, but our attempts to do otherwise are flouted. The disrespect shown by the organisers for the vast majority of Londoners is staggering, and I find it pretty hard to get excited about something that treats me as completely irrelevant in the city which I live in.

Grumble done, enjoy your party! :flowerforyou:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Go Team USA!!!!

I love everything about the Olympics!
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    One thing that is really starting to annoy me in UK about the Olympics is the "I'm not benefiting personally therefore I'm against it" attitude.

It is arguably the greatest sproting event on the planet. Lets just enjoy it while it is here.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    One thing that is really starting to annoy me in UK about the Olympics is the "I'm not benefiting personally therefore I'm against it" attitude.

It is arguably the greatest sproting event on the planet. Lets just enjoy it while it is here.

I couldnt care less if it benefits me personally or not - what I'm opposed to is the fact our country cant afford it - we're in recession!

If I couldnt afford to put on a weekend long BBQ for my whole street then I just wouldnt do it. It would be an awesome thing to do but if you cant afford it you cant do it. And I certainly wouldnt expect my friends living in the next town who weren't invited to pay for it either.

....probably not the best analogy but you catch my drift.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I agree completed!! But being a Northerner I'm bound to - we're not seeing any of the "benefits" up here!!!

As another Notherner I agree too! With both of these posts.

I'm sick of the TV, BBC One is all day Olympic coverage despite the BBC spending money on 20+ Olympic channels on freeview/freesat. With all those channels why can't normal service resume for license fee payers who don't care about the Olympics.

I'm so sick of it! :(

Here here.

We can't bloody afford it as a country. With all the so called 'austerity' measures being forced upon us, how can they then turn around and go 'oh, by the way, we're having a massive international party for two weeks in the middle of the summer that you all have to pay for, including building an Olympic village that consists of shoddy bedsits that will be of no use to anyone when the Olympics are over.'

One of my friends got turfed out of their family home to build the Olympic Village. The housing they were offered, and compensation, is no where near up to scratch.

I just think it's ridiculous, but I'm not the biggest fan of the Olympics full stop.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I wish I was in London for the Olympics :sad:
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    I just think it's ridiculous, but I'm not the biggest fan of the Olympics full stop.

Ya don't say??
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Ya don't say??

By that, I clearly mean regardless of the host city.
  • TylerJ76
    Options

Ya don't say??

By that, I clearly mean regardless of the host city.

Quit being so negative.
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    I wish I was in London for the Olympics :sad:

Me2