Lost my motivation :(

Options
Today is the beginning of week 4 for me here at MFP and after all my hard work, I actually gained weight this week.
The first few weeks I lost weight so I was happy AND motivated.

But right now, I dont understand what I did wrong and it's not motivational to me at all.

How does someone GAIN weight doing the following? (if someone could please explain that would be great!)

- I got up early every morning (and I hate early mornings) and exercised 6 days this week
- I stayed within my calories every.single.day (and even ate breakfast which I did not do before starting this 4 weeks ago)
- I logged faithfully and accurately (I bought a food scale this week to ensure this)
- I drank all my water and then some (again something I never did before)

AND I still gained a pound. I dont get it.

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You are probably retaining water in your muscles from all the working out. Remember that your body needs a couple of rest days. Try to weigh after your rest day, not after a heavy workout day. You're doing great--keep it up!
  • fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Today is the beginning of week 4 for me here at MFP and I after all my hard work, I actually gained weight this week.

But right now, I dont understand what I did wrong and it's not motivational to me at all.

How does someone GAIN weight doing the following? (if someone could please explain that would be great!)

- I got up early every morning (and I hate early mornings) and exercised 6 days this week
    - I stayed within my calories every.single.day (and even ate breakfast which I did not do before starting this 4 weeks ago)
    - I logged faithfully and accurately (I bought a food scale this week to ensure this)

Could be water weight, could be hormones. I know around my time of the month, I bloat up like there's no tomorrow, and "gain" 4 pounds. If it's hormones, it's just something you have to wait out (or Google some home remedies to relief the bloating).

If it's water weight, start watching your sodium intake. A package of Ramen isn't terrible with calories, but a whole package has, like, 1200mg of sodium which is a ton!
  • pennysocean
    pennysocean Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Those are some tough changes to make! That is something you should be proud of! I also am not a fan of breakfast OR waking up early (let alone to work out!) Look at what you've already accomplished!

Keep going! Your body changes, You can do this!
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    meh gaining a pound is no sound for alarm. happend to me this week as well, and then when i got up the next day i lost the pound. dont lose motivation, keep going.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other ladies. Give yourself a day of rest and then jump on the scale. I know that when I am retaining water, the scale is ugly. Please do not be discouraged. Some weeks you just won't see what you want on the scale, even if you are doing everything you should be. Don't worry, the scale will catch up to you. They say that the scale never lies, but it DOES!
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    20lbs in 4 weeks is pretty damn impressive in my book. Perhaps your body is taking a rest, time of month, retaining water? Don't let it get to you. Next week is a new week, don't give up - you are already getting amazing results.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My brothers ex had the same problem, but she was a really big girl, and all it was, was muscle growth she got thinner but weighed the same a few weeks sometimes more, try measuring yourself, it's far more accurate
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    HI are you eating lots fruits and veggies and drinking plenty of water?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Don't let one pound de-motivate you. Your weight can fluctuate day to day. Mine has the last 2 days, saying one thing than another. It's probably just water.

Watch your sodium intake as that will make you retain water. Also not to get in your business or too personal but if it's coming up on your time of the month, well we all know that happens when that's on it's way.

You can do this. We're all here for you!

Feel free to add me!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are doing all the right things-20lbs in 4 weeks is a massive loss. I can't see your diary so I can't offer any advice there-but give it time. You didn't put the weight on overnight.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    A pound is nothing. I can fluctuate a pound to 1.5 lbs a week...water, salt (which is water), how much sugar I've had, how much exercise I've done, the weather...

The point is a downward slope over time on weight and an increase in general health.

I recommend setting the scale aside for a few weeks.

Also get measurements on everything (hips, arms, chest, neck, calves, etc) and log that.

Finally, relax!!
  • shineysydney
    Options
    Just an idea: Try weighing only once a week...and keeping measurements. Don't give up over one pound.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    We can't see you diary so we can only offer general advice. A pound is nothing - its normally water weight if you've been tracking and eating well. Eating in calorie range and eating well are 2 different things. The better and cleaner you eat the higher the volume you will tend to have and its easier for your body to process. As well watch your macros nutrients. Are you staying within your guidelines of carbs, fats and proteins? Its important to get protein - it takes longer for your body to process and it takes more energy to process it (if you eat the same in carbs and protein then your body burns about 25% more calories to consume it). overall watch carbs - like sugars and things in boxes - most of your carbs should come from fruits or vegetables. Dispite whatever one says a calorie is not a calorie.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    20lbs in 4 weeks is pretty damn impressive in my book. Perhaps your body is taking a rest, time of month, retaining water? Don't let it get to you. Next week is a new week, don't give up - you are already getting amazing results.

Agreed~! And I find my body stalls for a period and then bounces back with a substantial loss.....don't lose your motivation....you're doing great and your body will catch up in another week or so.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Your frustration is understandable but your progress up until now is fantastic! You are obviously doing a lot of things right. Have faith in your efforts and stay positive and try not to overcome your disappointment by eating. It's a vicious circle.

Congrats on your progress so far!

It's a marathon, not a race.
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Did I read that you lost 20 pounds in 4 weeks??!! WOW!!!!! THAT ROCKS!!!! Think of that 20 pounds and think how far you came so very fast!! Believe it nor not, my weight can fluctuate from 2-3 pounds per day. If you are not already, try weighing yourself only 1x per week and at the same time of day at each weighing. Over the course of time, I've learned that I can always expect an increase in my weight during PMS, but it has always dropped back down after a few days.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Read these, take them in! you are amazing my friend!
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Please, don't lose your motivation fo just one pound! Especially since you are making such a great progress - and I really admire you for that.

Like everybody said, it's either water weight or even muscles. It will go away soon if it's water, or it will stay and make you look better as you progress, if it's muscles. :)

I agree with the people suggesting to only weigh youself once a week. The scale can lie and weight is not the most important factor.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I didnt realize my diary wasnt visible .. I think it's only visible to my friends list.
    To me 20lbs in 4 weeks is not a lot if you have a lot to lose. KWIM?
    I think that would be 4lbs to a normal sized person.

I do currently only weigh myself once a week (okay I will check a few times midweek but dont record it)
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Today is the beginning of week 4 for me here at MFP and after all my hard work, I actually gained weight this week.

It's more than likely all water! It happens to all of us... Don't fret! Keep it up and you will see another loss. Try not to concern yourself with the scale as much as your measurements. Keep track of your neck, waist, hips, thighs, and arms. It may be longer until you see results but these are more telling of your progress.

You got this!!!!