Lost my motivation :(

Options

Replies

• Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    This might now be your case, but I just read an article about how when you start or change your workout routine, your muscles need time to adjusts. Strength exercises cause microscopic tears in the muscle fibers, and the healing or recovery is what makes them stronger. While your body is trying to heal these tears, the muscles hold water to help the repair. So, you could just be retaining that water. Give it another two weeks doing what you are doing. If you are still gaining, maybe trying adjusting your calories, or macros. Good luck! Consistent good habits are the best exercise :)
  • kerryloveshoward
    Options
    I just gained two pounds and had only lost 3, so it hurts a lot. But I'm taking in all the advice here and using it for myself, too. Thank you all for responding to her post. If I had lost 20 lbs, I would be ecs-fing-static!!
  • Gloria_Torres
    Gloria_Torres Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We all go through our plateaus. We ALL have gone through them. Just think of it this way, "To stay motivated THINK like a kid." :-p That always helps me.
  • rlpohl
    rlpohl Posts: 5
    Options
    Don't loose motivation!
    According to your weight scale on the bottom of your post you have lost 20 pounds! that is amazing and no small accomplishment, especially for doing so in only 4 weeks. To gain a lb back isn't bad. I know that it can be very discouraging to gain anything back but don't be. I typically gain weight over the weekends, even though i still plan out what I am eating. For the most part is just water weight and by wednesday it is all off and I am back to loosing weight. This was very discouraging when it first happend but I am finally down 16 and going.
    Also do you weigh in at the same time everyday (or however often you weigh in)? this can change your weight as well. I weigh in first thing in the morning no clothes. I weighed in once in the late afternoon, about 5pm, no clothes and was 3 lbs I almost lost it. So make sure that you stay on a schedule for weighing in.
    But most importantly just remember how loosing this weight is going to effect you and keep going!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Also do you weigh in at the same time everyday (or however often you weigh in)? this can change your weight as well. I weigh in first thing in the morning no clothes. I weighed in once in the late afternoon, about 5pm, no clothes and was 3 lbs I almost lost it. So make sure that you stay on a schedule for weighing in.
    But most importantly just remember how loosing this weight is going to effect you and keep going!

I weigh in once a week on Friday mornings ...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    talking on the internet about not having the motivation to work out - is procrastinating via excuses, which is proof that you dont actually have this as a priority. Which is fine if you can admit to yourself. Go ahead and say this in the mirror:

I dont really want this. its obviously not a priority.

See if that has any effect.
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    don't give up you are doing a great job x
  • Soula7475
    Soula7475 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a healthy meal with teriyaki sauce and I literally gained 4 pounds in a matter of hours (all that salt!)
    Don't worry! As long as you're doing everything right you will continue to lose fat. It's just math in the long run.
  • mamabear0222
    Options
    talking on the internet about not having the motivation to work out - is procrastinating via excuses, which is proof that you dont actually have this as a priority. Which is fine if you can admit to yourself. Go ahead and say this in the mirror:

I dont know you, but I love this :) xo thanks

I was just a tad bit upset this morning, Im good now I think, I've accepted it and moving on now .... I just didnt/dont understand what I did wrong when I thought I was doing everything RIGHT ..
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hey mamabear. I can just about bet you are gaining muscle mass, which is going to result in inches lost, or retaining some water, which will go away. Keep on swimming, mama- if you don't lose another pound, are feeling better, eating healthier? Do you have more energy and stamina? Can you enjoy your kids more? Those NSVs count!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

I dont know you, but I love this :) xo thanks

I was just a tad bit upset this morning, Im good now I think, I've accepted it and moving on now .... I just didnt/dont understand what I did wrong when I thought I was doing everything RIGHT ..

Doing everything right doesnt mean that you are going to be handed results at the same pace you are working for them. I wish it was as simple as math = time. But what it does mean is that you are daily transitioning to a healthier lifestyle. Its not all about pounds. If it was... how empty would life after goal weight be?

its about living. Realyl truly honestly waking up and living.

And you cant do that wrong, no matter how long it takes to see stats change. You just cant live healthily the wrong way :)
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's water. Take a look at your sodium intake-- that could cause retention, too.

Open your diary, my dear! Then we can really help <3
  • mamabear0222
    Options
    I'd say it's water. Take a look at your sodium intake-- that could cause retention, too.

Open your diary, my dear! Then we can really help <3

My diary is open? People comment on it daily on my list.... how do I change this?
  • maggie2731
    maggie2731 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm going thru the same thing. But it's ok. I told my daughter to hide the scale and i'm not getting on it for two months. I dont want to know how much i weigh. If you are exercising you are building muscle and are lossing inches. I lost weight and then i gained 3 pounds. I was pissed off. But then I went to a party and everybody asked what am i doing to lose weight. My clothes were loose. I have lost almost two sizes. So i'm not complaining anymore. I just don't weigh myself. If you work out, eat right and drink water then you will lose. Pounds or inches but you will lose. Don't lose your motivation.
  • beautybandit1
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! I do the same thing and have to remind myself that I'm changing my life and not just the number on the scale. And for someone who is a little on the smaller side, it would take me A LOT longer to lose 20 lbs than 1 month. I'm lucky if I see two lbs come off in that same timeframe. It does get frustrating but don't rely on the scale's number so much. Remember you are doing your body a world of good. Do you feel better? Do you have more motivation? Look at other things to motivate you! That number on the scale does NOT define you. You define yourself!!!! Good luck on your journey!
  • beautybandit1
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! I do the same thing and have to remind myself that I'm changing my life and not just the number on the scale. And for someone who is a little on the smaller side, it would take me A LOT longer to lose 20 lbs than 1 month. I'm lucky if I see two lbs come off in that same timeframe. It does get frustrating but don't rely on the scale's number so much. Remember you are doing your body a world of good. Do you feel better? Do you have more motivation? Look at other things to motivate you! That number on the scale does NOT define you. You define yourself!!!! Good luck on your journey!

I meant do you have more energy! lol
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I know how motivating it is to see the scale move and when it doesn't, how "de-motivating" it is. However, you cannot base this journey on the scale. I started MFP 3 weeks or so ago. Started working out every day in one way or another. Lost a tiny bit and then gained it almost all back. I've never had that happen. I realized that by working out every day (instead of the 2-4 times per week) meant my body needed more calories than I was giving it. Gulp! So, while I'm still not eating back all my calories, I really make an effort to get close to my base number. I also realize that working my body that much made it retain some water for the joints and stuff. I'm continuing on with eating moderately and working out every day, and I know my body will figure it out eventually. I do still weigh every day (thankfully, that's how I knew I was actually going up) but I don't let it dictate to me what my mood and motivation will be that day.

Keep working. Especially with the exercise as other things will change (measurements) and attitude. Don't let the lack of number movement stop you. Be strong! Be determined! You CAN do this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • OrganicPure
    Options
    Boy I really feel you when it comes to this 'scale' and loss of MOTIVATION!!!!

I am so discouraged; as I started MFP approx. 7-8 months ago, only after leaving WW....I do love the 'detail' of the 'nutritional intake' goals that MFP provides so that I can help to monitor my sugar/fat/sodium intake.

It seems that the SCALE only puts me 'under the gun' & makes me literally 'anxious' when I see any type of weigh gain.

I have the type of 'body' where people assume I weigh much less then I REALLY do....but I know that I am seeking to lose
    20-30lbs & about 17% of 'fat'....my main motivation is to prevent chronic dx (Diabetes, Hypertension, Heart Disease)!!!!

I had a terrible 'blow' delivered to me on Monday....measurements that were just appauling & instead of 'motivating' me; it was more devastating THEN EVER :-(
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It is lofty to think weight loss is steady and consant. There will always be periods where you lose nothing..yet are shrinking.. And you may gain a pound or two:bigsmile: for no real reason. Just wait it out...keep with it.. and the scale starts moving again. your body is just adjusting...
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Could be hormones! Another ****ty part of the menstral cycle.