OMG Read this...

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day to do something great.....What are you going to do with it?

Yeah, I'm a tard I titled this "OMG Read this" for all my haters. :angry: Becuase you know deep down you really love me. :blushing:

If I make one person's day, mission accomplished.

I was with you until you said "tard"

HOW DARE YOU!

Freedom of speech. Freedom of the internet. Who are you to tell her how to speak or what she can say? I respect her for being normal enough to admit she says it. So do I and nobody calls me on it. I'm sure you've said something just as offensive before. So get off your proverbial high-horse.

Thank you.

If anyone could get offended by it, it would be me, my sister is mentally handicapped (mentally retarded, 27 yrs old with capabilities of an 8 year old ish), it doesn't bother our family, we know that others who use it offensively may be ignorant to what the disease really is. We choose to stay positive. It's just another word to us.

I didn't intend to offend anyone, therefore don't take it that way please.
    Then it seems like you of all people would understand why it's offensive to use this in a public forum. This is totally different than using it with your family members.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm a tard I titled this "OMG Read this" for all my haters. :angry: Becuase you know deep down you really love me. :blushing:

HOW DARE YOU!

Freedom of speech. Freedom of the internet. Who are you to tell her how to speak or what she can say? I respect her for being normal enough to admit she says it. So do I and nobody calls me on it. I'm sure you've said something just as offensive before. So get off your proverbial high-horse.

Thank you.

If anyone could get offended by it, it would be me, my sister is mentally handicapped (mentally retarded, 27 yrs old with capabilities of an 8 year old ish), it doesn't bother our family, we know that others who use it offensively may be ignorant to what the disease really is. We choose to stay positive. It's just another word to us.

I have a mentally handicapped cousin, and mental disorders run in my family, I do take offense to it. Experience doesn't make it's use any less offensive.
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I think this is just charming! Good for you :) I love your attitude! I am all warm and fuzzy on the inside now :blushing:

Best of the rest of the day to all of you!!!!

YOU ROCK!
  • Yellabutterfly05
    Yellabutterfly05 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Did I miss it? After reading some of these posts, I could use a laugh. Happy Friday everyone!!!! Cheers to a healthy and happy weekend.....*toasting water*

...waits to hear about the Priest, the Rabbi and the farmer's daughter
  • biffdaddy
    biffdaddy Posts: 17
    Options
    Do you think for a few minutes each day we could all see the stupidity that politically correct speech has brought us to. You can't say anything at all without offending someone. Perhaps we could all learn to have a little bit of a thick skin and realize the comment was not intended to offend or to refer to individuals that have an actual mental disability. Then maybe, just maybe, folks can concentrate on things that are actually important.
  • JDUR19
    JDUR19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

HOW DARE YOU!

Thank you.

I have a mentally handicapped cousin, and mental disorders run in my family, I do take offense to it. Experience doesn't make it's use any less offensive.

I'm studying to become a Special Educational Needs teacher and the use of the word is not offensive to me. The word "retard" (oh crap said it again, kill me) is in fact a word which, although it's seen as taboo for some reason, is still a word which is perfectly useable. Just because you're offended doesn't mean we all have to care that you're offended.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Oh... My... Gawd! Becky, look at her butt!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I'm studying to become a Special Educational Needs teacher and the use of the word is not offensive to me. The word "retard" (oh crap said it again, kill me) is in fact a word which, although it's seen as taboo for some reason, is still a word which is perfectly useable. Just because you're offended doesn't mean we all have to care that you're offended.

I didn't ask you to care, I'm telling you I'm offended because I'm ****ing offended, whether or not you care isn't my concern. I'm well aware of the dictionary definition of the term as well as the medical definition of the term . . . I'm also well aware of the evolution of language and the fact that negative connotations are applied to words outside of their technical definitions. For example a *kitten* is technically a bundle of sticks, but it also has negative connotations, so you can take your "I feel superior because I know a definition" mentality and shove it where the sun don't shine.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Do you think for a few minutes each day we could all see the stupidity that politically correct speech has brought us to. You can't say anything at all without offending someone. Perhaps we could all learn to have a little bit of a thick skin and realize the comment was not intended to offend or to refer to individuals that have an actual mental disability. Then maybe, just maybe, folks can concentrate on things that are actually important.
    Because it's sooo hard to avoid saying things that are obviously offensive and hurtful. And showing respect to other people is not one of those things that's "actually important".
  • Caged_Heat
    Options
    I didn't ask you to care, I'm telling you I'm offended because I'm ****ing offended, whether or not you care isn't my concern. I'm well aware of the dictionary definition of the term as well as the medical definition of the term . . . I'm also well aware of the evolution of language and the fact that negative connotations are applied to words outside of their technical definitions. For example a *kitten* is technically a bundle of sticks, but it also has negative connotations, so you can take your "I feel superior because I know a definition" mentality and shove it where the sun don't shine.

"Some days I'm just *****y and straight forward, some days I'm a ***** cat, we'll see which one I am today."
  • JDUR19
    Options

I know people who have been to war and when I hear someone make a joke about war I'm not offended because I know someone who has fought. So you shouldn't be offended because you know people who are, by definition (yes I'm aware you find this "stuck-up" but again I don't care) retarded. I don't care that you don't care that I don't care. That's none of my concern either. A *kitten* is also a foodstuff, and I know gay people yet still I don't get offended by the word "*kitten*". And I shall not take my supposed "I feel superior because I know a definition" (I think it's you who thinks I'm superior not me) and place it where the sun doesn't shine because that's physically impossible. Next.

Haha I love it when people rise to it!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

"Some days I'm just *****y and straight forward, some days I'm a ***** cat, we'll see which one I am today."

Awe, look who knows how to copy and paste from a person's profile onto a forum, isn't that cute and not at all creepy.
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! Well said!
  • JDUR19
    Options

Damn I hate it when you forget to write something and have to tag it on!

No, you're right, you didn't ask people to care, but you posted your outrage publicly so you obviously expected people to care. Believe me, it's not just me who doesn't care about your offense
  • Caged_Heat
    Options

ROFLMAO! I copied that directly from allabtlm's profile and it automatically censored the offensive words! Too funny!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options

Or maybe we could realize that being a little sensitive to a few choice words wouldn't be a bad idea since they seem to cause bad feelings and incite people. Maybe the issue isn't thick skin but common courtesy that you may offend someone.

And shame on you OP. I have a sister with Downs. You should know that even if you accept that word, it causes pain for others.
  • deadheadcheri
    Options
    Thanks! :) I feel driven already!
  • JDUR19
    Options

ROFLMAO! I copied that directly from allabtlm's profile and it automatically censored the offensive words! Too funny!

HAHAHA you're a legend sir! This girl seems to not be responding. Shot her down good!
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I know people who have been to war and when I hear someone make a joke about war I'm not offended because I know someone who has fought. So you shouldn't be offended because you know people who are, by definition (yes I'm aware you find this "stuck-up" but again I don't care) retarded. I don't care that you don't care that I don't care. That's none of my concern either. A *kitten* is also a foodstuff, and I know gay people yet still I don't get offended by the word "*kitten*". And I shall not take my supposed "I feel superior because I know a definition" (I think it's you who thinks I'm superior not me) and place it where the sun doesn't shine because that's physically impossible. Next.

Haha I love it when people rise to it!

Jerry, Jerry,Jerry!!!!!!! Sorry couldn't help it, you both made good points!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

HAHAHA you're a legend sir! This girl seems to not be responding. Shot her down good!

Actually I responded to him, and I'm not responding to you because you just can't fix stupid, or in this case ignorant.