Are you and your family close to each other?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
I can emphatically say yes! My brothers/inlaws/cousins and I love spending time and hanging out together. In fact I'd rather hang with them, then friends. At get togethers we always have a blast and catch up and joke around, dance, etc. When my mom and MIL came to stay with us for a month (during my DW pregnancy) my "American" friends were perplexed and thought that it too hard for them to deal with. IT WAS GREAT! I didn't have to cook and clean as much and I had more "free" time to do stuff.
I also believe that because of having a great family, there is lots of support in a positive manner which makes life much, much easier compared to having negative family support which can make it a much more difficult life to deal with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have to say absolutely no. I only wish I could have a family as great as yours sounds.
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would have to say no in some ways and yes in other. Since my dad has passed we talk more. I used to talk to my sis about twice a year, now at least email each other about once a month. I try to call my mom daily.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yes, extremely close. Even the extended family is all connected and close. I'm very lucky but then again, we're nice people.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Yes! I talk to my sister EVERY day!!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    no not really. I wasn't raised around my extended family and my siblings are so much older, they were all moved out by the time I was 8. I am moving back home though to California and I hope to become closer and enjoy my sister, brother, cousins, and nephew that are still in the area. I am not close with my mother at all. I have 7 sisters and one brother, only n3 of them to I speak to regularly........I hope my kids can grow up different.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I used to be close to some of my cousins, but things changed over the years, I guess. I am still very close to my sister and bro-in-law, but life makes it difficult with her too. Some bridges have been burned with my cousins, but I can always get love from my sister.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    With my sister, yes.

Everyone else, not too much.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Nope.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Not so much... I mean, I'm very close with my mom and grandparents.. and I am pretty close to one of my cousins. But other than that.. no. Most of my family doesn't even speak to eachother due to a falling out YEARS and years ago. It's ridiculous and I wish it weren't like that but it is.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Nope, my family pretty much blows.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    No, just always been a bunch of individualists. Closer to my in-laws than my own family.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    No, my family is ****. I don't get along well with my mother or my father at all. And don't get me started on the rest of my family on both sides. I only get along extremelly well with my brother.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I just deleted my mom and sister on FB for posting racial/extremely right-wing political/religious nonsense. :indifferent:

I love them, though, just their opinions are cray.

.... I like my dad.:drinker:
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    my family is extremely close...people can't believe that I call my mom every day and visit my parents every weekend. My sister is actually living with me this summer so she can work with me. I love being around my family. My fiance's family is no where near as close. It's somewhat strange, they are Chinese, and my experience with most of the Asian people I have known is a very very close knit family. His is quite the opposite. ALthough they live together, they are not involved in eachother's lives or have any kind of emotional connection. I am looking forward to us being married, and hopefully being very close to eachother and our future family :-) I think it is very important
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I dont live near any of my family, but am very close to my inlaws. They are as dear to me as my own family, and a huge support system. but my dad and stepmom are supportive of me from where they live across the country, but the rest of the family...not so much. i rarely talk to my mother at all.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My family used to be the way you describe and is in some ways still. I am still close with my brother and some cousins. Since my dad passed away about a year and a half ago the family kind of broke apart. My mom got a little nuts and my sister has been nuts for a few years now.

Appreciate what you have! I only wish my dad was still here so we could have the family we used to have. He was the glue that held us all together.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have a super close family. A ton of us live in the same county and are always getting together for holidays, birthdays, Sunday dinners, etc. I go out to the clubs with my cousin and sister. When my brother comes up to visit, we always have a weekend full of family, lol. We’re known for our PDA’s (lots of hugging and kissing and *kitten* smacking, all in good fun, going on). My husband is perplexed by it. We live right around the corner from his brother and hardly ever sees him or talks to him on the phone.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    My family is kind of ridiculously close. They do everything together. When I still lived at home.... One if not more of them were with me everyday. We grew up on a little dead end street with my grandparents, great aunt/uncle, and two sets of aunts/uncles/cousins. It was a great way to grow up. My cousins are all more like siblings. But I've got lots of those too. I moved away about 4 years ago but they still call and send notes often. When I'm home it's an utter whirlwind of visits and parties. Everyone drops everything to see us
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately no despite being in two races with family-oriented backgrounds. We're more of an individualistic although my Dad is very close to his family. Between the two sides of my family, I'm much closer to my Dad's Mexican side of family than my Mom's Asian side. In fact they made a significant contribution to my low self-esteem & to my ED before when I was young. I never recall once wherein they wouldn't make nasty comments about my weight & on those rare times that I see them, I always hear the phrase "you're getting fatter", "you're almost pretty but your fat" & worse comparing me to my naturally skinny sister. I know its more of a cultural thing but that is the very thing that I hate about Asian culture.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I have a strange family relationship... we are all close and we all know the other one cares, but we don't talk regularly. My parents live a half hour away but we generally jus stalk eachother on FB. I had a really rough time with my mom growing up so our relationship is strained, to say the least but we try to communicate once or twice a month via phone. Same thing with my brother...he has a lot of crap going on and I maybe talk to him once a month.

My husbands family however is very close and quite large in comparison to my teeny one. I talk/see his mom about once a week and I talk/see my brother in law every couple of days, or atleast once a week (soon, I'll be seeing him every day). It's just like day and night between the two families...we all have our skeletons in the closet and issues, but as a family unit, my parents and brother are all kind of weird from years of pain. But....don't ever talk **** about one of us or the others will be on you like white on rice.