Why do people do this??

Options
Last night my fiance and I went to the gym late so there was only like 4 people in there including us. Out of the 25 treadmills our gym has, there's a row of 9 right at the front so you can watch the TVs while working out so we went in that row. I got going on the treadmill on the end but my fiance found the one next to me didn't have the radio connection so he moved along one, leaving a treadmill free between us.

Now bear in mind there are 25 treadmills across 3 rows and even in the row near the TV, there were like 7 free treadmills. Oh and bear in mind that there were only like 4 people in the gym.

This woman comes and gets on the treadmill in between me and my fiance. There were 23 other treadmills in the gym but she picks the one in between us. I was so annoyed!! There should be some sort of etiquette where you just don't get on the treadmill/bike/elliptical right next to someone unless you really have to. My fiance said its like in the urinals where you don't use the urinal right next to someone else unless there's no other option!!

Sorry for my rant, it might seem petty but I just couldn't understand why she did it! The funny thing was she looked at my settings and tried to copy my speed and incline but it was too fast for her and she nearly went flying off the back lol!!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Maybe she was inexperienced and she was hoping to use you and your settings as a guide.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's the only way she can actually get close to someone. Or maybe that's her favorite treadmill. IMO, as long as they aren't wearing cologne or perfume, I could care less. But I do understand the need for "personal space" amongst people. That's why in theatres you hardly see strangers sitting next to each other.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I too think ppl are weird when they do this. I dont like it when they do it in open seating type things- I purposely do not go down to the front- stick to an aisle and sit with my group- never fails- some loud pair will plop down right next to us, even tho theres a ton of seats all around. Creepers- they apparently dont feel the same way we do about personal space. I give way extra then the norm, some ppl give none.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Maybe she was inexperienced and she was hoping to use you and your settings as a guide.

This
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    She might be lonely? or wanted to be motivated by you. Humans like company by design, she probably didn't think of it as being all in your space as you perceived it.

The Urinal situation is different cause being that close you get to see another dudes junk, most guys tend to not like people getting a free show :-)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Same reason people park right next to you when there are 15 empty spaces, some more convenient than your spot.
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    Ok yeah I hadn't thought of her being inexperienced. I'm just a bit too easily irritated I reckon!!

Its like other posters have said though, its a personal space thing!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

Exactly this. When I was a lot bigger, I would find the most fit looking person on the treadmills and hop on the one next to them and see what they're doing and try to do it. Now I've learned that different settings are better for different people, but I get why she did that. Someone did that to me the other day and she was definitely looking at my settings and trying to keep up and I was flattered!

I know it's weird though.
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If your watching TV or reading a book while doing cardio, your not working hard enough.
  • nickyjl81
    Options

Exactly this. When I was a lot bigger, I would find the most fit looking person on the treadmills and hop on the one next to them and see what they're doing and try to do it. Now I've learned that different settings are better for different people, but I get why she did that. Someone did that to me the other day and she was definitely looking at my settings and trying to keep up and I was flattered!

I know it's weird though.

Lol the thought of me being the most fit looking person in the room is hilarious!!! I think it was just the fact that I was the only other girl in there!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    This gets me too, I dont understand it. My finacee and I went to watch a movie in a big theater. We were the only ones in there and we sat in the back row. This couple came in before the movie started so it was light in there and sat directly in front of us in the next row. My finacee and I looked at each other and started laughing out loud. I mean come on!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You should have taken video of the whole thing and then photoshopped in the 'forever alone' face over hers.

364mv2.jpg
  • nickyjl81
    Options
    If your watching TV or reading a book while doing cardio, your not working hard enough.

I don't know how anyone could read a book while doing cardio but watching TV is just a case of looking at the screen surely! I was watching a football game.

Trust me, I was working hard - 35 mins at speed 9.9kmph when 4 weeks ago I could run more than a few yards!
  • mszebra
    mszebra Posts: 94
    Options
    I feel the same way in public restrooms. There are 10 stalls free. Why did you take the one right next to me?
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    This is kinda like the whole I am getting in my car thing..and the parking lot is FULL of spots..and I am trying to put 3 kids in car seats..and they want the spot right next to my car? :huh:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This gets me too, I dont understand it. My finacee and I went to watch a movie in a big theater. We were the only ones in there and we sat in the back row. This couple came in before the movie started so it was light in there and sat directly in front of us in the next row. My finacee and I looked at each other and started laughing out loud. I mean come on!
    Did you stop to consider that some people like to sit as near the back as possible? Like you do?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Some of you people have issues.
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    I hate this as well! Drives me crazy, in the public restroom, sonic drive in, movie theatre.. grrr. I like my space.
  • Fruch02
    Fruch02 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    maybe she thought your man was sexy? or, you were sexy?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I think you're being a little nit-picky. Maybe she's the type of person who only gets going when she sees other people around her working out or she felt more secure between the 2 of you. I don't understand why it's a big deal...