Why do people do this??

Options

Replies

• thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    This gets me too, I dont understand it. My finacee and I went to watch a movie in a big theater. We were the only ones in there and we sat in the back row. This couple came in before the movie started so it was light in there and sat directly in front of us in the next row. My finacee and I looked at each other and started laughing out loud. I mean come on!
    Did you stop to consider that some people like to sit as near the back as possible? Like you do?

Yes I did consider this but there are 30 seats in the row so why couldnt they move to the sides of us or one row down, come on its like 10 feet.
  • rachey_v
    rachey_v Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, are you sure she wasn't just one of those jokey kind of people, laughing to herself about it and secretly competing with you both too? Some people are just like that... In fact if I went to the gym I'd say it was probably me :laugh:

Seriously though, not worth getting too worked up about. Or if you do, put it towards your cardio :D
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I hate this as well! Drives me crazy, in the public restroom, sonic drive in, movie theatre.. grrr. I like my space.

I like my space too, which is why I don't go to gyms to work out lol. They have just as much right to equipment as you do...
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    This is kinda like the whole I am getting in my car thing..and the parking lot is FULL of spots..and I am trying to put 3 kids in car seats..and they want the spot right next to my car? :huh:

and park RIGHT next to you!! I left someone a nasty note on their windshield once... something like "thanks for giving me the room to get my kids and the infant seat in the car you *****!
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    she may have been pissed at you for taking the treadmill right next to the one she always uses. Some people have issues with things like that....:grumble:
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I always "give people their space" if there is opportunity. Even if I really want to be near the fan, I still don't do it!
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    man laws?
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    My guess is that whatever was on that TV is what she wanted to watch. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing there were TV's lined up in a row, right? Were they on different channels? Maybe I read it wrong but she might have wanted to watch Dr. Phil or whatever instead of Sportscenter.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I hate this. I always try to leave a treadmill beside me if I can. My husband totally told me about the urinal rule last night. To me it makes sense. :) I like my space and don't need someone panting in it!
  • Runner50266
    Options
    We don't have control in a public setting like this. If there were 25 treadmills and it bothered you that bad you could have moved.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    This... is just like the men's bathroom urinals... he he oh how I hate those...

But yeah, it's no big deal, but it is something that is quite annoying.

For me though, I am crazy, and have a favorite treadmill at the gym... I have NO clue why, I just like it. So, no matter which ones are open, if that one is, I go for it.

This is the first time I actually spoke of such a thing... I feel kinda nutty >.>
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this odd. Although I admit I am nit-picky and that in itself is odd.

The cinema thing has happened to me too where people sit right in front of you when there is no one else in the whole cinema!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Some people like a specific piece of equipment. At a gym I used to go to, I used to watch these two crazy women every Saturday morning fight over a specific treadmill, no matter how many were open.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    This gets me too, I dont understand it. My finacee and I went to watch a movie in a big theater. We were the only ones in there and we sat in the back row. This couple came in before the movie started so it was light in there and sat directly in front of us in the next row. My finacee and I looked at each other and started laughing out loud. I mean come on!
    Did you stop to consider that some people like to sit as near the back as possible? Like you do?

I can only imagine there must have been more than 4 seats in the back 2 rows. I think the people that sat in front of them in an otherwise empty theatre are the ones with the issues.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    So what? Why didn't YOU move if it was such an issue?
    Why do you and your fiance need to work out next to each other, anyway? Since you're watching TV and not talking.
  • sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Erm anti-social much?

My boyfriend complained when I sat 1 row in front of a guy in the cinema when there were loads of chairs free. I wanted to sit bang in the middle and that was the best seat so I sat there.

Don't know why people have such problems with personal space. Don't get me wrong I don't go about getting really near to people and getting all up in their face but it's nice to be friendly and social sometimes. it's how humans are made.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Yes I did consider this but there are 30 seats in the row so why couldnt they move to the sides of us or one row down, come on its like 10 feet.

^^ This. Or even further down in the same row. Still would have been a bit weird, but not as weird as plopping down directly in front of you. It's not like you were taking up the entire row. If they like to be as close to the back as possible, then they could have been all the way in the back, too.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Sometimes it's based on culture, too. Sociological research has shown that Americans are some of the most prudish people in the world. Many other cultures (not all, for sure) don't have the personal space demands that we do. It's fascinating research...
  • anunley1
    anunley1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it mattered??? It bothered you so much, you posted about it??
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    without getting all clinical, maybe she has a form of autism and cannot read social clues.