Why do people do this??

Options

Replies

• Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    This is kinda like the whole I am getting in my car thing..and the parking lot is FULL of spots..and I am trying to put 3 kids in car seats..and they want the spot right next to my car? :huh:

and park RIGHT next to you!! I left someone a nasty note on their windshield once... something like "thanks for giving me the room to get my kids and the infant seat in the car you *****!

Honestly...when I see them waiting..for that spot...I totally..for some reason have a HECK of a time buckling the kids..like I forgot how to do it...on purpose :tongue:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of this:
    400x220-urinal-troll-500x495.png
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I don't find the movie theater seat or the urinal situations the same at all to a treadmill. People that use gym equipment like that every day can form a "relationship" with particular machines. It sounds strange, but it can be a comfort thing. Sometimes we have to see past our own perspectives of the world.
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    So what? Why didn't YOU move if it was such an issue?
    Why do you and your fiance need to work out next to each other, anyway? Since you're watching TV and not talking.

I wasn't gonna move when I've already completed like 20 minutes of a 35 minute run. It wasn't like I was furious, i was just perturbed that someone would do that!!

We work out next to each other cuz he is a very experienced runner and I'm not so he motivates me by giving me the thumbs up and stuff. We do also talk while watching TV.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is Dr. Sheldon Cooper. And that one where they're at the movies and he's testing the acoustics.
  • Cwilbanks12105
    Cwilbanks12105 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    lol This reminds me of an experiment we had to do in Sociology class where we had to go to public places like the library, benches outside on campus, etc and purposely sit right next to people and watch how they react. I kind of felt like I was playing an "I'm not touching you" game. People are hilarious.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    This gets me too, I dont understand it. My finacee and I went to watch a movie in a big theater. We were the only ones in there and we sat in the back row. This couple came in before the movie started so it was light in there and sat directly in front of us in the next row. My finacee and I looked at each other and started laughing out loud. I mean come on!
    Did you stop to consider that some people like to sit as near the back as possible? Like you do?

I can only imagine there must have been more than 4 seats in the back 2 rows. I think the people that sat in front of them in an otherwise empty theatre are the ones with the issues.

Maybe that was the theater and row and seats in which that couple had their first date, and they were celebrating an anniversary. You can never know for sure what someone's motivation is. It doesn't have to be "issues."
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Okay, we can all be 'nice' and think of all of the wonderful or benign reasons that someone would do this, but I'm sorry, this sh** is weird.

There are 3 rows of tread mills and she hops onto the one between two people?

That doesn't sound in any way normal. Its like eating by yourself at an almost empty restaurant and someone walks in and sits in your booth.

Yeah, they didn't do anything "wrong", but that's weird and intrusive as hell.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have a thing about personal space too. IMO, it's a little awkward... but in the lady's defense, maybe she just wanted to make friends or not be alone while working out. Who knows.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My guess is that whatever was on that TV is what she wanted to watch. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing there were TV's lined up in a row, right? Were they on different channels? Maybe I read it wrong but she might have wanted to watch Dr. Phil or whatever instead of Sportscenter.

That's what I was thinking too. Maybe that was simply the best spot for TV-viewing.

Unless she was actually doing something annoying, I'd ignore her and continue with the workout. If she insisted on chatting I'd probably end my workout early and switch to another machine.
  • pjwcampbell
    pjwcampbell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    In the old days before IPODS, etc., the gym was a social place for me. I don't mean that I annoyingly talked while people were trying to work out. It was just a matter of seeing the same people frequently and making a comment or saying hi to each other as we moved between weights or walked to class. Now days the gym just isn't as fun because everyone is in their own little IPOD world. (I work out with an IPOD, too, so certainly am not condeming that practice.) Some of my closest friendships in past years have been people I met at the gym.

One of the reasons I like cycling, skiing, mountain biking, running, etc., is that while you CAN do them by yourself it's much more fun to go with a buddy or a group. It certainly makes me more motivated if I know that I'm going to see a friend or if someone is waiting for me.

Maybe she thought you seemed like a friendly person and she'd be able to make a workout friend.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I can understand why you'd be thinking 'what the heck?' when there were so many other free treadmills. When that's happened to me, I use it as motivation to run my best run.

Think of it this way - she wanted to use you for motivation - be flattered :smile:
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    While I totally see your point and am all about my personal space I personally have certain machines I like. If the machine I like is open I'm on it regardless of who or what else is going on in the gym. Maybe that machine was just HER machine, you know, the one she's most comfortable with :)
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    Maybe she's lonely. Maybe she wanted some extra motivation. Maybe she is new to the gym. Maybe a diff mindset would help you.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Why didn't you switch treadmills to be beside him if you knew it'd bother you to have someone between you? I know I like to talk to my gym buddy (social running!!! Yay!!!), so that would interrupt conversation.

Like you said... There were 9 in the row. Why didn't you two just move and give the woman the space you wanted for yourself?

ETA: I have my favorite treadmill, but I always have 2 backups just in case because I know there are people who have personal space issues.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's worse on the rowers.
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    Ok ok, I get it. I'm an irritable b*tch and should try to be nice to people (I wasn't rude BTW, I just carried on with what I was doing)

I just thought it was a little weird.
  • Lewisgrl23
    Lewisgrl23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Maybe she was trying to get next to your guy.
  • Lewisgrl23
    Lewisgrl23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it mattered??? It bothered you so much, you posted about it??

>Funny your picture reads, "Who will you inspire today?" Wasn't inspired by your comment to the topic! LOL!!
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Erm anti-social much?

My boyfriend complained when I sat 1 row in front of a guy in the cinema when there were loads of chairs free. I wanted to sit bang in the middle and that was the best seat so I sat there.

Don't know why people have such problems with personal space. Don't get me wrong I don't go about getting really near to people and getting all up in their face but it's nice to be friendly and social sometimes. it's how humans are made.

It's not anti-social, it's called 'personal space'. Do you think I want to be near a random stranger? Do I know the person? Do I want them attempting to talk to me when I'm trying to focus on MY things or just the movie, and not have to listen to them give me their life story? If there are like 50 other seats, then there is no reason for that person to sit right smack in front of you or next to you UNLESS they have a reason, you do, yours being it's a good seat.

I'm as friendly as the next person, but sometimes I just want to be left alone, don't we all? And I DO have social anxiety, so you should respect others people's opinions about things like this, I respect yours. I'm not saying that your wrong, I'm just saying, you know, some people DO have social problems. And some people, like my mom, just DON'T want to be near people ATM for whatever reason. Whether they're in a pissy mood or just don't want to be near someone.