What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?

Options

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I find that in general, most sports clothing lines do not cater to overweight women. It's only been in the past year or two that I've even noticed plus sized Nike and Adidas clothing for women in stores. Before, XL was the largest they went up to, which would have been probably a size 14. Now that the big dogs are on board, maybe Lululemon will follow suit.

It's not just the sports clothing lines. From my experience, it's ANY clothing line.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Simple; Brands like this don't want their name stamped on a fat *kitten*, Its bad advertising.

Honestly (coming from a fashion background) the basic answer to your question is that fat people don't fit the brand profile they are trying to project, which is probably true of most high brand sports labels, and majority of high brand fashion labels. It is a big part of a brand to present and project a lifestyle, look at advertising, the concept of advertising a brand is to make you want the lifestyle associated with that brand, most fashion brands are associated with slim, sexy, successful, youthful and attractive, and basically if you are not fitting into that, the brand doesn't really want their name stamped on you...Sorry I know Its harsh, and majorly unfair, but that's brands, Another factor is also cost...it takes a lot more fabric to make bigger sizes, so the production costs between an XS and an XL would be different, now considering that brands cant sell and item for a higher price in the larger sizes with out seeming totally unfair, to keep a good profit margin, they simply don' make the larger sizes.
  • RoastyToasty
    RoastyToasty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hm, I totally agree. And it isn't just Lulu. I work for a rather large sporting goods retailer, and we carry several premium brands (no Lulu though, not sure why), and we carry almost NO plus sized clothing. The thing that drives me nuts is that when we do get a line or collection in that it sells out right away. Keep writing and calling the companies, including any retailers you go to. It is such a missed market.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    my workout gear consists of:

Sweat pants
    Old shirts
    Free shirts (for participating in certain events, etc.)

because i think it's silly to pay extra for clothes that i'm going to sweat my *kitten* of in and only wear for an hour or two each day

Exactly- Ive been reading this tread trying to figure out why it even exists... its a sweaty work out not a fashion show. There are wick away the sweat clothes at wal mart and target- which are online- Never heard of this lemon store - but it sounds pointless. .a store just for work out clothes? dumb. Work out clothes are anything that breathes and is comfy- free is even better - pricey is stupid.

Yup!!!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    An interesting observation - I was at SportsCheck this weekend checking out what they had on sale for workout gear. The only sizes that were on the sales rack for the ladies were the 1X, 2X, and 3X. So, maybe this means that plus-size workout gear generally doesn't sell well (perhaps because a lot of people don't realize that they actually do carry larger sizes?)
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The gross generalizations in this thread are awesome. My apparently non-athletic, non-workout self just finished a 50 mile ultra wearing a pair of their shorts. I don't actually like most of their line of clothing and their sales people annoy me but their shorts (and only one particular model at that, I don't like most of their other shorts either) are part of my go-to training/racing gear. They hold up to the couple thousand plus training miles a year I put in them and they don't chafe even after being in them for 10 or 12 hours. I'm not a real exerciser or a real athlete. I just play one on TV.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I've never even heard of Lulu Lemon, nor am I interested as I don't need overpriced workout gear. I can't shop at Victoria's secret as they stopped carrying XL panties and large sized bras and layne bryant is too far away to make the trip. But yeah, plus sized women aren't well represented in any "fashionable" and "hip" stores, that's because society wants us to feel horrible about our bodies when we shouldn't.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've purchased Lulu workout clothes (among other brands) for the past several years. Their technical fabric is nothing special (it literally is the same as other sports brands) but I've always liked their design & fit.

Sadly, I've noticed -- really, in the past year -- that the quality is going down and the prices are going up. I've even had to recently return a couple of pieces because they frayed after a single washing, which is surprising as I have other items that I've bought 5 years ago that look brand new.

Anyway, to those upset about the sizing, I wouldn't be -- the Lululemon of the past doesn't seem to be the Lululemon of the present. There is better quality stuff available at cheaper prices from other brands.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I have quite a few pieces of Lulu. I mostly wear their skirts and tanks b/c I'm only 5ft so their pants are usually too big. I workout 6-7 days a week, so I need workout clothes that will hold up. Plus, since I am soooo lazy and a "poser" I wear workout clothes when I'm not actually working out. So, for me, I need the clothes to look cute and hold up well for working out. Sorry, they don't have them in larger sizes, but everything isn't for everybody. At my height and 108 pds. stores don't cater to me either. But guess what? I just go somewhere else.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

because i think it's silly to pay extra for clothes that i'm going to sweat my *kitten* of in and only wear for an hour or two each day

Exactly- Ive been reading this tread trying to figure out why it even exists... its a sweaty work out not a fashion show. There are wick away the sweat clothes at wal mart and target- which are online- Never heard of this lemon store - but it sounds pointless. .a store just for work out clothes? dumb. Work out clothes are anything that breathes and is comfy- free is even better - pricey is stupid.

Walmart and Target clothes are trash as far as quality. Absolute garbage. Personally I like Old Navy's line of athletic wear.

funny because Ive never had quality anything from old navy- terrible business model as far as pricing and see thru paper thin clothes. T shirts - shorts- yoga pants- wic away material - easy to find in a lot of places, specialty shop not needed.
  • newmooon56
    Options
    IMO, Lulu Lemon sucks - their leader is a complete jerk. Did you know he named his company Lulu Lemon because he knew Asians would have a hard time pronouncing it, and would have to say "Ruru Remon", and that he enjoys making fun of Asians?

The guy is a word I am not allowed to type on this forum.

I don't care what size(s) his clothes go to, he is a jerk whom I will not be giving a single dollar of my business to:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stewart-j-lawrence/when-yogis-kill-the-grisl_b_1077457.html

See paragraph 5

So often anything trendy and cute when trendy and cute wasnt needed before they came along- has a sweat shop story or something similar behind it- Not surprised in the least.
  • newmooon56
    Options
    I have to laugh at the pro lululemon and the anti lululemon debate. People kill me. This may be a little off topic but it could eventually circle around.

They may have a killer wicking shirt, but so do the ATHLETIC brands that developed the system, at a much cheaper cost. People shop at that store to be hip and trendy. Plain and simple. The stereotypical lululemon shopper in my area are the soccer moms who want to look good when they go to the gym once a week and usually part of a family that lives beyond their means. These stores cater to these type of people for a reason. Folks will blow some dough in there, just to look good while sweating.

If you genuinely do have the money to shop there day in and day out, why not save your money for some real athletic clothing, time and activity tested by real athletes, that will serve the same purpose and be just as comfortable? THEN, you might be able to put that extra money into savings thus making the whole fitness thing an all around great idea.

PLUS, real athletic clothing comes in affordable plus sizes as well!

Voted - most sensible post in this whole thread!!!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1 and wear size 12 shoes, imagine the difficulty i face finding a wardrobe!!

Most place dont carry tall clothes in store and only go to 11's in shoes.

be thankful you can at least lose weight to fit into those clothes im stuck being an outcast :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'm a hair under 6 feet and wear a 13 shoe. Boy, I feel your pain!! Adidas just in the last few months started carrying their women's shoes online in 12's, and they run BIIIGGG! I'd never owned a pair of women's athletic shoes, I bought them and they FIT!

We just got a LuluLemon store here in the Mall of America. I don't know if my big (but now slightly less so) butt would fit into any of their pants, but at those prices, it wouldn't matter. I couldn't afford it anyway :(
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Huffington Post is not an unbiased paper..you really can't believe that stuff.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

I salute you, sir. You are not a poseur or a 'him-bo.' You're there to get the job done and not look like an Abercrombie and Fitch ad.
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    I didn't read all of the posts, just the OP and those on the first page.

What I say, is shop somewhere that DOES cater do plus size women. I can understand wanting wicking activewear, because I sweat.... a lot. I find Moving Comfort sports bras to be the best for my busty D chest, and Nike pants fit nicely on my size 20 *kitten*. Underarmour makes wonderful wicking shirts that fit my L top (also I wear their undies), and I don't have to pay a fortune for it all. D i c k 's Sporting Goods is where I recently purchased my workout clothes.

If you want to wear lululemon, just make that a goal. I think its good incentive to strive for. I, personally, am working toward being able to shop at Hollister or American Eagle with my skinny ***** sister (whom I love to pieces). I'm not going to petition them to carry size 20 pants... I am going to work to become a smaller size.

Being a fat person, and an ex-REALLY fat person I can completely empathize with the frustration of not being able to shop in "normal" clothing stores. It sucks. When I was a size 26 I essentially couldn't find anything that didn't have a hideous print or that I had to pay 70bucks a pop for at Lane Bryant. My solution? Lose weight. Make that luluemon yoga pant your reward when you can walk in to the gym and say "SUCK IT HATERS, I'M WEARING MOTHER****ING LULULEMON!" Trust me. You will feel amazing when you do.
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    LuLu's size 12 is equal to a Women's Size 40 or an 18. That's by their measurements.
    I can't buy ANY workout clothes without altering them. It's a real pain having to cut off over 4.5 inches on pants (ruins the lines on them too) but I do like yoga pants so I look for them wherever I can. And if I were to hit the gym, I'd do it in capris anyway and a sweatshirt. (I likely will be doing that in a few weeks because I am about to plateau again. I realise that I do need some weight training as well as aquafit and swimming laps.... and walking)
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Lulu Lemon.

My workout gear is an old t-shirt, shorts and sneakers
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Some people are acting as if it's a crime to want to look good and show off what you've worked so hard for (the "fashion show" comments, etc).
    I don't have any Lulu stuff but I always wear something cute and flattering. I've worked hard for my body so why should I hide it? There's nothing wrong with wanting to look great while sweating :)
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    Simple; Brands like this don't want their name stamped on a fat *kitten*, Its bad advertising.

Honestly (coming from a fashion background) the basic answer to your question is that fat people don't fit the brand profile they are trying to project, which is probably true of most high brand sports labels, and majority of high brand fashion labels. It is a big part of a brand to present and project a lifestyle, look at advertising, the concept of advertising a brand is to make you want the lifestyle associated with that brand, most fashion brands are associated with slim, sexy, successful, youthful and attractive, and basically if you are not fitting into that, the brand doesn't really want their name stamped on you...Sorry I know Its harsh, and majorly unfair, but that's brands, Another factor is also cost...it takes a lot more fabric to make bigger sizes, so the production costs between an XS and an XL would be different, now considering that brands cant sell and item for a higher price in the larger sizes with out seeming totally unfair, to keep a good profit margin, they simply don' make the larger sizes.

I agree with you and funny thing is... right now, I'm someone that they don't 'want' (objectively) wearing their clothes. I get so annoyed with the whiny fairness BS that runs rampant on these boards. You don't like something; change it. You don't want to be 'fat' anymore; don't. You want to wear the clothes; work to get into them. End of story.

I'm a 'fat' girl that loves fashion. I know where to shop to look good and where to shop for my body... but you bet your *kitten*, the world is mine when I 'fit' into the places I'd rather shop!