What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?

Options

Replies

• TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    my workout gear consists of:

Sweat pants
    Old shirts
    Free shirts (for participating in certain events, etc.)

because i think it's silly to pay extra for clothes that i'm going to sweat my *kitten* of in and only wear for an hour or two each day

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!
    :drinker:
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

because i think it's silly to pay extra for clothes that i'm going to sweat my *kitten* of in and only wear for an hour or two each day

Exactly- Ive been reading this tread trying to figure out why it even exists... its a sweaty work out not a fashion show. There are wick away the sweat clothes at wal mart and target- which are online- Never heard of this lemon store - but it sounds pointless. .a store just for work out clothes? dumb. Work out clothes are anything that breathes and is comfy- free is even better - pricey is stupid.

Walmart and Target clothes are trash as far as quality. Absolute garbage. Personally I like Old Navy's line of athletic wear.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

new ones until I can buy the next size down.
    Personally I like having cute workout clothes that fit well. It boosts my mood more than wearing old stuff. But the bigger reason I buy "workout" clothes is the fabric. I could never workout out in sweat pants & a cotton t-shirt...I had to wear a cotton top one day because I was behind on laundry & after my hour workout I felt like I was wearing a trash bag. Wicking material doesn't make me sweat less but it's far more comfortable while I'm actually working out & definitely worth the $$$ to me.

To each their own. I'm a bit cheap when it comes to clothes anyway, as the most expensive store I shop at is JCPennys or Cato, and then only for sale items. If anyone here is in the WV/PA area you'll know where I mean when I say I shop alot at Gabe's (Gabriel Bros.). I'm about to get a new workout shirt for free because I participated in a walking program my company does every spring. I could actually use new sweats/pants because the ones I have are getting worn, like I said. But I'm actively working to lose weight so I can't see the point in buying something new until I'm at least a size down. So I'll stitch up the old ones until then.
  • Flavia24
    Flavia24 Posts: 12
    Options
    Wearing fitness clothes has started to become trendy, even if you don't work out.
    Think of those TNA pants, those were originally meant for exercise/yoga, and look at what that turned into.
    I met a bunch of girls during a field research trip who were all wearing nice lululemon tops, and I complimented them because I would totally get one for a situation like that (or working out), and they told me that EVERYONE wears them in their hometown...so clearly gear like that is turning into clothes and not for any specific activity.

I work out in old clothes too, my only 'good' pair of shorts atm are from zellers OR my high school gym shorts hahaha...but my REWARD for when I lose 5 pounds will be a new outfit because the few times I'm able to put something together with what i have that makes me feel more confident, I feel like I'm more excited about working out, and even get more done....is it vanity? sure, a little, but I like feeling good and it all results in that, plus being healthier...

I say use what you can, set yourself a goal, then worry about what you're wearing next.
    Stores like that are becoming trendy, and its' horrible that you feel that way when you walk in. You're probably not the only one who does, so consider how many customers theyve lost. When you get to a size 12 or under, you have a great reason NOT to shop there...
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I work out HARD in the gym but I also like looking good. I love lululemon. WEaring pretty sexy clothes actually makes me work out HARDER .It makes me look forward to going to the gym. If I put some crappy clothes on..I feel like crap.

Granted...there should be better choices for bigger women.

I also find out that for myself pants from companies like lululemon and lucy fit me and look better on me than some workout pants I get off the rack at Old Navy or Target.

And they last longer.

I love looking PRETTY and working out hard.

For me it is motivating. Maybe it is because I used to be in the Army.

After getting out...I am all about looking as feminine as possible while lifting heavy and hard. I think you can be ultra feminine and still be a hardcore gymrat. Looking good on the outside just makes me feel good on the inside.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

Exactly- Ive been reading this tread trying to figure out why it even exists... its a sweaty work out not a fashion show. There are wick away the sweat clothes at wal mart and target- which are online- Never heard of this lemon store - but it sounds pointless. .a store just for work out clothes? dumb. Work out clothes are anything that breathes and is comfy- free is even better - pricey is stupid.

Walmart and Target clothes are trash as far as quality. Absolute garbage. Personally I like Old Navy's line of athletic wear.

I have to agree, at least for Walmart. I don't shop Target much because the one in my town caters to tiny college girls, lol. Walmart USED to have decent things, at least t-shirts and such. But it seems like every year the quality declines. I have t-shirts that I bought there a few years ago that are still holding up. Yet, the shirts I bought more recently barely made it through a few washes. This is why I've started shopping the sales at Pennys and Catos. And Gabe's but most folks outside of my area don't know what that is.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

Word.

I don't understand the thing with fashionable workout clothes.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Old high school t-shirts that I can now fit into, lots of Air Force t-shirts, a couple of tank tops for when I run, one pair of yoga pants and one pair of walmart running shorts. My daily workout clothes probably cost half of what one lulu lemon piece does. Maybe when I hit my goal I'll invest in a few staples because I'll want to dress my new, awesome body, but more likely than not I will be getting running clothes for all seasons from a local running store.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Second truth (as I see it): Spandex is not a BIG girl/guy's friend. I get it. I can be honest with myself. Spandex and tight fitted clothing is not generally the most attractive articles of clothing on a person of larger proportions.

I have to say it. Spandex is no one's friend. I cannot recall a single time I've seen someone in spandex and thought wow ____ looks great in that.

I'm not a brand person I buy what's affordable in the best quality I can get for my budget.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I don't think they only go up to a size 12 because they feel it's "unacceptable" but because the demand is just not there for plus-sized workout gear. It may be here on MFP but overweight people who are actually trying to do something it about it are the minority and sounds like this Lulu Lemon is more selling an "image".

Let's go back to the 80s when most of the big brands were not available in plus sizes. That's when I was obese and when Jordache jeans were all the rage it became my mission to one day fit into Jordache jeans. Well by the time I was below a size 12 Jordache was no longer in style and IOU and Camp Beverly Hills and Cavarrichis were lol. Then Jordache became a Walmart brand, available in plus-sizes and at that point, who cared? lol. I remember not being able to wear the clothes all my peers were wearing and sadly Hollister, American Eagle and Aeropostale are just as guilty of it as Lulu Lemon and Jordache. They are targeting a specific market...my only advice is that when you do get small enough to fit into their "workout gear", boycott their *kitten*! I wear old sweats cut into shorts and old tank tops to work out... I have for over 20 yrs but then again I work out in the privacy of my own home.

Don't sweat it mama...you're not alone and over 20 yrs later I STILL remember how that feels.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Second truth (as I see it): Spandex is not a BIG girl/guy's friend. I get it. I can be honest with myself. Spandex and tight fitted clothing is not generally the most attractive articles of clothing on a person of larger proportions.

I have to say it. Spandex is no one's friend. I cannot recall a single time I've seen someone in spandex and thought wow ____ looks great in that.

I'm not a brand person I buy what's affordable in the best quality I can get for my budget.

I personally hate Spandex and won't wear it, for the record lol
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

I personally hate Spandex and won't wear it, for the record lol

You would look so hot in spandex though.

---just sayin'. :)
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I used to buy my workout clothes from the women's plus section of Old Navy until I got slim enough to fit into the XXL workout gear at other stores. Part of this was also because at the point in time I was that large I lived overseas where the native women were smaller than the average American woman so there was no way in hell I could shop at their stores and the one and only store that sold American sizes there didn't fit me. So only ordering from Old Navy was the answer for me. And while I do agree that the clothing of Lulu Lemon can be pretty and fashionable, I don't think I'll ever wear it when I'm thin enough to partially because of the "nothing over size 12" and that their stuff is just ridiculously expensive for work out wear. For those prices it better be able to wash itself.
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

This. Save your money for cute clothes and shoes as you hit your fitness milestones.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Instead of complaining about it...do something about it...make it your goal to fit into a pair of Lulus if you want it so bad.....I lost 30lbs in baggy t-shirts and wal-mart sweat pants.....and now I can fit into Lulu's.....use your energy a bit more wisely :flowerforyou:
  • jackalope37
    Options
    IMO, Lulu Lemon sucks - their leader is a complete jerk. Did you know he named his company Lulu Lemon because he knew Asians would have a hard time pronouncing it, and would have to say "Ruru Remon", and that he enjoys making fun of Asians?

The guy is a word I am not allowed to type on this forum.

I don't care what size(s) his clothes go to, he is a jerk whom I will not be giving a single dollar of my business to:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stewart-j-lawrence/when-yogis-kill-the-grisl_b_1077457.html

See paragraph 5
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Huh. I don't know about Walmart, but I actually love Target's C9 line. I am small enough for Lululemon and could afford it, but I honestly don't like the way it looks on me and prefer the C9 stuff.

I won't work out in baggy old cotton stuff though. It soaks up all the sweat, gets heavy, chafes, flops around and gets in the way - yuck.

edited to add -- don't mean to say it's not cute. Most of my friend wear lulu and look adorable. For some reason I just don't feel it flatters me. I feel the same about running skirts. I see other people in them and think "that looks so great" but I've hated all the ones I've tried on for me.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Welllll clearly you haven't seen my butt :bigsmile:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    IMO, Lulu Lemon sucks - their leader is a complete jerk. Did you know he named his company Lulu Lemon because he knew Asians would have a hard time pronouncing it, and would have to say "Ruru Remon", and that he enjoys making fun of Asians?

The guy is a word I am not allowed to type on this forum.

I don't care what size(s) his clothes go to, he is a jerk whom I will not be giving a single dollar of my business to:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stewart-j-lawrence/when-yogis-kill-the-grisl_b_1077457.html

See paragraph 5

i read another article that said he named it that because Asians would believe its an authentic western company and would be good for sales. not in order to make fun of them.