What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?

Options

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    So why is it that their female products only go up to a size 12? Why is that I am unable to buy clothing that is appropriate and specifically suited for working out? Why is being over a size 12 unacceptable to them? (NOT TO MENTION that their male products go up to a size XXL... but that starts a whole other argument about "Society Driven & Accepted gender body images")

Because a size 12 is a very big size in women's perhaps? I know many stores that don't go into plus sizes as well. It's also a whole different thing to cut and make plus sized clothing. After a certain size, the clothing measurements don't go up proportionately so it has to be designed differently for plus sizes.

Another thing is, which is going to sound offensive I'll admit, is most plus size people don't work out (realistically, if they worked out regularly they wouldn't be plus size*). If the brand is trying to portray a fit lifestyle image then designing workout gear for plus sized women is more along the lines of designing lounge wear is looks bad for the brand.

*excluding anyone with certain medical conditions. Just throwing out the mandatory disclaimer.

I notice you often use the 'I don't mean to be offensive' disclaimer, just before making an outrageously generalised statement (or series of statements) about fat people...

Interesting strategy, but perhaps a little transparent, don't you think? (Swap that kitteh for a shark!)

I never said I didn't mean to sound offensive. I simply said it will sound offensive. I usually always mean to say what I say...well maybe except for the times that I had one too many :drinker:
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same gripe about Victoria's Secret, regarding their bras. SO many of their bras are designed to help make your boobs look bigger, but if you actually HAVE big boobs? Sorry, no bras for you! Frustrating! (I do like their undies, though...so it'd be nice to have a matching set from time to time.)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    With the million different places you can shop, why stress over this? The simple is really very simple. Shop somewhere else...
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The same reason Victorias Secret doesn't carry a DD anymore.................
  • MorbidNTT
    MorbidNTT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I could never afford to shop at Lulu Lemon. That would be very frivolous spending, right there...
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    my workout gear consists of:

Sweat pants
    Old shirts
    Free shirts (for participating in certain events, etc.)

because i think it's silly to pay extra for clothes that i'm going to sweat my *kitten* of in and only wear for an hour or two each day

THIS. I wear old clothes to workout in. The pants I'm currently using are wearing thin and I'm hoping to not have to buy new ones until I can buy the next size down.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have a gripe about plus sized clothing in stores like Target and Walmart, which are all over where I live. They seem to think that once you get above a size 14, all you need are sweats and crazy patterns. I was working in an executive office and went to Kohl's for some nice suits and whatnot, but wanted to save a little and get some pieces at the other stores. T-shirts and sweat pants, check; WILD print blouses, check; elastic waistbands, check; too-long tops or gathered waists, check; Um... just because I'm not a size 8, doesn't mean I want to dress like Dorothy from the Golden Girls.

WHY is the plus size section not the same clothes, but bigger? Why does the style have to change from cute and trendy to mostly blah? Frustrates me terribly.

Yup, yup, yup. Plus sized clothes at Wally-World are fugly and our Target doesn't carry much beyond plus sized t-shirts. Thats mainly because we're a college town and they cater to them. I wonder where the plus sized college girls go, though, because I know they exist.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what this store is and I've never been there so I can only comment based on what you said.

2x shirts are totally okay for guys without them being overweight. I think your forgetting about bodybuilder types who have big chests. haha :)

I'm going to play a bit of the devils advocate here. Not because I agree with what this store is doing but because I don't see a differences from their store from another one. Most places have a "target market" and just because someone doesn't fit that market doesn't mean really anything... Most stores cant make everyone happy.

The thing is, there are stores for people that are plus size people where they don't carry small sizes, they have stores that only cater to woman, they have stores that only cater to men, they have stores that only cater to the big and tall, they have stores that have clothes in only small sizes. The same argument could be made for every one of them. Just because they cater to to a specific group doesn't mean they are bad.
    If a stores motto is to say "keep everyone in fashion" but they only offer plus size clothes, I can see someone being upset saying "I really wanted that shirt but they only offer it to bigger people, isn't that promoting obesity"? Just like your saying "They only have them in small sizes, shouldn't they promote exercise for bigger people"?

See what I mean? Its sometimes hard to see the bigger picture but that's what the forums are sometimes for. haha
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    "What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?"

Absolutely nothing. Fat people are not in the market segment that they are pursuing, and selling clothes for the obese doesn't fit their business model. If they felt marketing to fat people would be profitable and good for their business, they would be doing it. That's not discrimination or a vendetta against fat folks, it's following a successful business plan. Lululemon isn't selling XXXLs because their customer base of fit, trim hotties think that they are buying clothes that only fit, trim hotties can wear. Selling the big stuff would alienate that customer base and suddenly their overpriced product isn't so appealing to the very people that are spending the money that fills their coffers.

Like I said earlier.... I want a Rolex, but they don't make watches in a price range I can afford. I'm not going to pout and rag on them because they won't alter their business model and sell lower priced watches so I can have one. It would cheapen their image and drive away their established customer base of wealthy people looking for and willing to pay for extreme quality. Same difference.
  • Nunziata29
    Options
    Amen
  • Nunziata29
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

because i think it's silly to pay extra for clothes that i'm going to sweat my *kitten* of in and only wear for an hour or two each day

THIS. I wear old clothes to workout in. The pants I'm currently using are wearing thin and I'm hoping to not have to buy new ones until I can buy the next size down.

Amen
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I think of Lulu Lemon the same way as I think about Coach. WAY over priced, and because of that I am boycotting them. I can fit in them and, if I wanted to, I could buy from them. But they are like a person who thinks they are better than someone else... not anyone I would waste my time on.

Move on... buy your clothes elsewhere. If we all did this, they would have to lower their prices.:laugh: :laugh:
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sadly I have to say it goes both ways....I am a size 12-13 and i go into Lane Bryant because I LOVE the bras they sell and i get funny looks from them all the time....
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    i was curious about that. i would have bought pants but i would have gotten annoyed once i slimmed down and they didn't fit anymore!

i MIGHT treat myself to a pair once i get thinner :D they are rather pricey though.

This is what I was thinking...as someone else mentioned, their stuff is great quality & lasts FOREVER. Personally I'm most of the way to my weight loss goal but still have further to go, so although I'd love to own some Lululemon gear, it's not going to fit me in a year if I have anything to say about it. So what's the point of investing that much money in it? I think it's safe to assume that plus size women who are serious about exercise are trying to lose weight, so why would you market high-quality, long-lasting workout clothes to women who won't be wearing the same size for very long? Sure, they could offer them, but it's not going to be super profitable so it would only happen as a response to customer demand - & that's why you should let the company know you'd be interested.

Though by the time they get those clothes on the market, you'll probably be able to fit into the sizes they already offer.

For now, Old Navy's Active line is perfect for me (I saw another poster mention ON) & I find the quality to be sufficient for my needs. They wick away sweat well & the bottoms offer good support for my midsection flab without sliding down or anything while I run. Plus their stuff is cute & affordable.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

Personally I like having cute workout clothes that fit well. It boosts my mood more than wearing old stuff. But the bigger reason I buy "workout" clothes is the fabric. I could never workout out in sweat pants & a cotton t-shirt...I had to wear a cotton top one day because I was behind on laundry & after my hour workout I felt like I was wearing a trash bag. Wicking material doesn't make me sweat less but it's far more comfortable while I'm actually working out & definitely worth the $$$ to me.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from a business mag this morning - http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-26/gaps-athleta-looks-a-lot-like-lululemon

I recommend if you don't own LULU stock to look at Athleta by Gap - their sizes are awesome, they have plus and for me being 6'1", they have a selection of tall stuff too!

Something for everyone!! A great motto for a company to have!

My very favorite! The clothes are a little pricey, but very high quality and SO cute. Plus, their models are really motivational to me --- some hard, athletic women with muscle. Just what I'm going for.
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the Old Navy! Workout gear is part of my work wardrobe and so I've considered buying something "nicer" and so far I just can't pull the trigger on Lululemon gear. I probably will treat myself to a pair of shorts or pants at some point because I love their detailing and I hear it's well made... and for me, like I said, it's what I wear every day to work. I've heard mixed reviews on the quality of Lulu... some swear by it and another friend just had a new pair of yoga pants fall apart after a few washings. She bought them online and they just asked her to take a picture of them before sending a new pair. That's relatively hassle free but I'd hope that that wouldn't happen in the first place.

When I'm actually working out, I really don't care much what stuff looks like but I'd like it to perform well. I wear not hugely flattering but EFFECTIVE compression shorts to run in. I like Nike, Moving Comfort, Under Armour, but was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the compression tights I had from Old Navy.

I blow through a lot of running shoes so I wince having to pay too much for clothing. I guess it costs less than the medical bills down the road from being less fit, right? :)

For the original poster - I don't have a problem with them catering to a specific demographic. It's their perogative. But I do feel your frustration at feeling left out. Have been there.

<3
  • tubbs_nomore
    Options
    So what if they don't carry plus sizes? Can't you buy clothes at stores that do carry plus sizes? I don't understand this anger towards Lululemon for not selling items that fit you. Men don't get angry that Victoria's Secret only sells women's clothes. Just my thought.
    [/quote

Easy for you to say when your avatar pic shows that you are already slim & you only need to lose 12 lbs! Try putting yourself in the OP's position ....if you can, and see it from her perspective! JMHO.]
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

Exactly- Ive been reading this tread trying to figure out why it even exists... its a sweaty work out not a fashion show. There are wick away the sweat clothes at wal mart and target- which are online- Never heard of this lemon store - but it sounds pointless. .a store just for work out clothes? dumb. Work out clothes are anything that breathes and is comfy- free is even better - pricey is stupid.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

Sweat pants
    Old shirts

Exactly- Ive been reading this tread trying to figure out why it even exists... its a sweaty work out not a fashion show. There are wick away the sweat clothes at wal mart and target- which are online- Never heard of this lemon store - but it sounds pointless. .a store just for work out clothes? dumb. Work out clothes are anything that breathes and is comfy- free is even better - pricey is stupid.

why is having a store just for workout cloths dumb? how about shoes?

and not everyone wants to shop at wal mart and target some people like to pay more for better quality and better looking stuff.