What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?

Options

Replies

• katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    Because they can?

They might be discriminating against me because I don't have the money to buy it.

TJMaxx has great workout stuff too! All sizes! Running warehouse always has good deals too for workout stuff.

Victoria's Secret doesn't make large bras, but their other company, Lane Bryant does. Are you gonna complain about that too?

And how come when I say large people shouldn't wear spandex its mean but when someone else does its ok??
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think they have it in for the non rich!

LOL THIS. I wish I could afford their shorts :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If you're working out, then "what" brand you workout in shouldn't matter. It should look like crap when your done!!:laugh:

There are many companies that don't sell larger size clothing or limit the size. I believe Bebe clothing only goes to 12. So maybe it's just how you feel about Lulu Lemon?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the other posts but quite frankly, Lulu are there to sell a product. Their product is fitness clothing and it's spandex. Anything over a size 12 isn't going to look great in that clothing. If it doesn't look great, it's not going to sell. TO ANYONE regardless of size.

You want it, work for it!
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    ... I like my non-brand label yoga pants on t-shirt... If I have to advertise something on my *kitten*... I wanna get paid for it... not pay for the privilege.
  • MandyJaneRose
    MandyJaneRose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 0-2 and have bought clothing from Lululemon, and let me just say this.... you aren't missing anything. I have a pair of jogging pants, they were $90 and are very comfortable, HOWEVER they were covered in pills after about 2 months of use. I wash my clothing as infrequently as I can to preserve wear, I turn things inside out when I was them, I often wash things by hand, and I never use a dryer for anything but sheets and towels. Still covered in pills. They now look so crappy and worn out that I wouldn't ever wear them anywhere but the gym or my house.

Bought a pair of $20 exercise pants from Forever 21 and they are still pill-free. Harruummff. (Oh, and F21 has a plus size line, not sure how large the sizes actually go, but I'd recommend their stuff for cheapo workout wear.)
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    They just want to make money, that is it!

Larger sizes may cost more, more fabric, and there may be a smaller demand for larger sized trendy looking clothing.
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just want to add-that they DO carry up to a woman's size 16/18 pant. Often you need to ask the staff to get them from the back, but they have them.

sadly their website only goes to a 12.

ew. that sucks. Maybe it's changed then :/ I just remember about 4 years ago...going into a Lulu in Montreal with a girlfriend who bought a size 16 yoga pant for her Mom, but she had to ask for them in the back.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Could it perhaps be that as a business their goal is to make money? The target market for a company sells exercise clothes would be people that exercise, and I'm guessing this group tends to be a more fit group.

Demand for exercise clothes is most likely higher from more in shape people, there for supply will be great for exercise clothes that fit in shape people
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have a gripe about plus sized clothing in stores like Target and Walmart, which are all over where I live. They seem to think that once you get above a size 14, all you need are sweats and crazy patterns. I was working in an executive office and went to Kohl's for some nice suits and whatnot, but wanted to save a little and get some pieces at the other stores. T-shirts and sweat pants, check; WILD print blouses, check; elastic waistbands, check; too-long tops or gathered waists, check; Um... just because I'm not a size 8, doesn't mean I want to dress like Dorothy from the Golden Girls.

WHY is the plus size section not the same clothes, but bigger? Why does the style have to change from cute and trendy to mostly blah? Frustrates me terribly.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Start a campaign.
    Write a petition!

I never even heard of this place until I started here, probably will never shop there.
    I don't see the point of paying a grip for something that I'm not going to fit into in a few.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with the sizes LULU carries, as there are many stores out there where their XL is a joke. My problem is the price, but that's cause I am cheap. Luckily, I work in a second hand store, so I can get LULU's cheap. I have a few in my closet that are goals. Personally, i like the athletic wear from Walmart, they go up in plus sizes and don't cost an arm and a leg.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oh I could go into a whole rant about women's plus size clothing, and the clothing industry in general. Plus size men have it easier, and I don't care what anyone says. I have no idea why the clothing industry is so prejudice against my money. Isn't my dollar as good as a size 12 dollar?? If I get to the point that I can no longer shop at Lane Bryant I will make sure to keep purchasing from her sister companies and give them my hard earned money for clothing. I will probably go back on my word, but I would make it a point to only bUy from stores that dont discriminate from size. Sadly that means no Dolce and Gabana or Prada. Oh well guess they dont want my money. GRRRRRRRRRR!
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ALSO I JUST WANT TO SAY ONE THING FOR EVERYONE WHO THINKS "FAT" PEOPLE CAN'T WEAR SPANDEX.

BULLSH!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WORK OUT THOSE SPANDEX YOU GUYS. IF IT FEELS GOOD DO IT. Wear your SKINNY JEANS in a size 16+, wear your cute little leggings with your boots and adorable tops!!!!

TALL GIRLS (AND BOYS HAAAAY) WEAR YOUR BIG 'OL HEELS AND WERK.IT.OUT.

It's ALL about HOW YOU WEAR IT : WITH CONFIDENCE.

If the "skinny" folk are the only ones offended with your SPANDEX WEARING-that's really TOO BAD FOR THEM. Drives me freakin nuts when people limit their fashion desires because of their physical shape.

I think EVERYONE looks GLORIOUS NAKED!

EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO WEAR SPANDEX OOOOK?!?!?!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I have a gripe about plus sized clothing in stores like Target and Walmart, which are all over where I live. They seem to think that once you get above a size 14, all you need are sweats and crazy patterns. I was working in an executive office and went to Kohl's for some nice suits and whatnot, but wanted to save a little and get some pieces at the other stores. T-shirts and sweat pants, check; WILD print blouses, check; elastic waistbands, check; too-long tops or gathered waists, check; Um... just because I'm not a size 8, doesn't mean I want to dress like Dorothy from the Golden Girls.

WHY is the plus size section not the same clothes, but bigger? Why does the style have to change from cute and trendy to mostly blah? Frustrates me terribly.

Because whomever the clothing buyer is for the plus size department is utterly clueless about what plus sized women want to wear. Macy's is this way, they have a TERRIBLE plus size section, elastic waist, powder blue suits and big patterns.

Fashion Bug used to be terrible but they have gotten significantly better over the years, too bad they are closing. Torrid has great plus size stuff.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Could it perhaps be that as a business their goal is to make money? The target market for a company sells exercise clothes would be people that exercise, and I'm guessing this group tends to be a more fit group.

Demand for exercise clothes is most likely higher from more in shape people, there for supply will be great for exercise clothes that fit in shape people

This! It's a business and part of that is supply and demand. Bigger people are on average probably less likely to buy tight workout clothes. It was probably a business decision not to spend the money on producing a product that is not going to sell as well.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Meh I never pay attention to workout clothes. My favorite workout shirt is actually an Old Navy maternity T-shirt that most likely is gonna fall apart by 2013. I'm sweating, I'm grouchy and I'm downright unsexy while working out so I wear what's comfortable!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's a business, like others have said. If the market demands are there, I'd bet my *kitten* they'd be selling it. No business is going to take a loss because some niche feels left out, and they shouldn't be forced to do so (unless it's a safety issue). I want a Rolex, but I'm not in the income segment they market to..... and I don't feel that they somehow have an obligation to accomodate my wants.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    They don't cater to vertically challenged people either! Can't get a pair of work out pants there unless they are shortened....not worth the trouble or the crazy inflated prices.
    The one thing I really like about lululemon is they will hem your pants for free.
  • kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    OP - I'm giving you a virtual hug right now.

I do agree with the comments and opinions that as a company, they don't have any obligation to sell their items in different sizes / styles / etc. They're a private company, and as one commenter put it, they can cater to the group of their choosing.

BUT - OP, I %100 sympathize. It's disheartening, it's frustrating, it feels unfair and even cruel. I totally hear you! It majorly sucks that this seems to be a common theme. There are some golden companies that do cater to ladies who need bigger sizes though, and well worth hunting down.

This is a great column in general, and I remember the author writing about this a while ago - http://www.marieclaire.com/fashion/tips/plus-size-activewear?click=main_sr#slide-1 she shares some good go-to companies.