Muscle Builders: Tell Me Your Routine!

Options
1235»

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I know I'll probably get crucified on this forum, but in my OPINION, NROL4W, is not AS good as a regular beginner strength program. It introduces too many exercises too quickly, uses weaker or in some cases more advanced versions of some lifts, has you doing 3 work sets of deadlifts which is too much when you get your working weight up, changes the routine you do at arbitrary preset times when the real time to change a routine is when it stops working after proper resets\deloads, employs supersets which is not really needed for beginners, some muscle groups being overlooked in some phases.

Now this IS based on someone's training log from 2008. I don't know of the routines have been updated at all since then.

I actually agree with you on this :). It's a good book, but there isn't a difference between men and women in terms of muscle. Men get bigger because of testosterone and other hormones that we women don't produce in nearly the same quantity. I lift very heavy on big compound moves and I am not bulky at all :)

I agree with this as well. New Rules is a good book in that it's regimented and gets people started.

I like the Starting Strength program much better, and even Stronglifts 5x5.

I always recommend the book because of the information in it. It really help women get over their fears of lifting. I agree that it is not the best program but for me it did the job

Exactly...removing that fear of lifting is the one thing that keeps me tossing it in there as a recommendation. There's SO many women doing it, that it's easier for a woman new to lifting to take the step, than it is if you present them with a program directed at men, like Stronglifts or Starting Strength, even though the principles are ALL THE SAME, and the information is far, far better.

I agree with all of this as well. I started with New Rules of Lifting and it's great for a beginner and it's nice to have a book that is for women. But, I find the options limited. I think having that book plus starting strength expands some options. I've heard of strong lifts on here, but I'm not familiar with it yet. I'm sure there are lots of other books that provide a variety of options in order to build your own workouts that work for your body (I have injuries to deal with). Online resources help as well. I like Scooby's Workshop (it has personally helped me a lot for what I need).

Stronglifts is pretty much starting strength but with rows instead of power cleans, doing 5x5 instead of 3x5 until the weight gets heavier, and starts all lifts with an empty bar and adding weight from there vs starting strength starting where you up the weight slowly for set after set until bar speed slows on the first day and that is your starting weight. And as far as I know there is no hard copy book of riciculously explicit info on doing the lifts and muscle makeup and insertion points and all that jazz like the SS book has.
  • Pascua_j
    Pascua_j Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I know I'll probably get crucified on this forum, but in my OPINION, NROL4W, is not AS good as a regular beginner strength program. It introduces too many exercises too quickly, uses weaker or in some cases more advanced versions of some lifts, has you doing 3 work sets of deadlifts which is too much when you get your working weight up, changes the routine you do at arbitrary preset times when the real time to change a routine is when it stops working after proper resets\deloads, employs supersets which is not really needed for beginners, some muscle groups being overlooked in some phases.

Now this IS based on someone's training log from 2008. I don't know of the routines have been updated at all since then.

I actually agree with you on this :). It's a good book, but there isn't a difference between men and women in terms of muscle. Men get bigger because of testosterone and other hormones that we women don't produce in nearly the same quantity. I lift very heavy on big compound moves and I am not bulky at all :)

I agree with this as well. New Rules is a good book in that it's regimented and gets people started.

I like the Starting Strength program much better, and even Stronglifts 5x5.

I always recommend the book because of the information in it. It really help women get over their fears of lifting. I agree that it is not the best program but for me it did the job

Exactly...removing that fear of lifting is the one thing that keeps me tossing it in there as a recommendation. There's SO many women doing it, that it's easier for a woman new to lifting to take the step, than it is if you present them with a program directed at men, like Stronglifts or Starting Strength, even though the principles are ALL THE SAME, and the information is far, far better.

I agree with all of this as well. I started with New Rules of Lifting and it's great for a beginner and it's nice to have a book that is for women. But, I find the options limited. I think having that book plus starting strength expands some options. I've heard of strong lifts on here, but I'm not familiar with it yet. I'm sure there are lots of other books that provide a variety of options in order to build your own workouts that work for your body (I have injuries to deal with). Online resources help as well. I like Scooby's Workshop (it has personally helped me a lot for what I need).

Stronglifts is pretty much starting strength but with rows instead of power cleans, doing 5x5 instead of 3x5 until the weight gets heavier, and starts all lifts with an empty bar and adding weight from there vs starting strength starting where you up the weight slowly for set after set until bar speed slows on the first day and that is your starting weight. And as far as I know there is no hard copy book of riciculously explicit info on doing the lifts and muscle makeup and insertion points and all that jazz like the SS book has.

That sounds good! I may check that out then!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Saving for good info