Eating most of the goal calories on breakfast!

Options
13»

Replies

• monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I actually measure out my cereal with my food scale, and it is one of the hardest things to get used to regarding actual serving size. I use these small bowls from Ikea, and I barely have enough room for a half a cup of milk. Sometimes it feels like more because the bowl is so full.

Also, I eat Honey Bunches of Oats and a serving of that is 30g or 3/4 cup (120 cals). I can't imagine that you're actually eating 300g of cereal. That's almost a whole box at one time.

Here are the bowls I use: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50096905/

Edited to add: I just use 1/4 or 1/2 cup original almond milk or skim milk depending on what I have at the time and the whole thing comes in under 150 cals.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    A serving of cereal...for instance, Raisin Bran, is 190 calories. Eating 401 calories of cereal is way too much. However, I find that cereal is also not very filling no matter how much I eat. Steel Cut Oats are good and filling. I also eat Quaker Oat Bran (hot cereal, very filling, 150 calories) and Greek Yogurt.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I used to have oatmeal, but it just doesn't have enough protein for me. Because I am also eating a lot more now, I have to increase the sizes of all my meals. So I've had to go from like 400 calorie breakfasts and boosted it up to 700+ calories.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Easier is to end your marriage with that bowl and look for a petite and sexy one, me thinks.

Petite and sexy crockery, I LOVE THIS ADVICE!! :drinker:

:drinker: You can't imagine how greatly it works. Drinking water was always a hassle for me but then I found this small, thin glass around 2/3 of a regular cup. It fits so well in my hand and makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to drink water. I keep a one liter (34 oz.) bottle of water with me all times and it amazes me how fast it disappears. What I call fine drinking!

It's not a bad idea to enhance our eating and drinking experience visually!
  • emg9
    emg9 Posts: 112
    Options
    i found this at 1st.

Skimmed milk, smaller bowl and scales was the answer :). i normally have
    30g bran flakes which is 107 calories,
    100ml skimmed milk - 35 calories
    5g dried cranberries - 15 calories

and a piece of fruit & green tea :)
  • MsSleeth
    MsSleeth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find I have very little appetite in the morning. If I don't eat anything I can go until mid-afternoon before I even think about eating. But if I have a bowl of cereal in the morning, I am hungry again well before noon. I assume it has something to do with the carbs. And I have no idea why I am not hungry in the morning after not eating for 12 hours. I do better meeting my goals if I eat a boiled egg or plain yogurt topped with fruit and a sprinkle of healthy cereal or granola.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different cereal? My favorite is Shredded Wheat and Bran - the serving size is bigger than most sugary cereals - 1.25 cups, and it's a little more calorie dense - 200cals per serving - but man does that stuff fill me up. I like to slice a couple of strawberries on top. And when I am counting calories, I ALWAYS use measuring cups to control my portions, including the milk.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Eat a small serving of cereal, as well as some protein(eggs, protein shake, ect) and a serving of fruit, you will stay full alot longer for less calories.

This^^ homemade granola, greek yogurt, and a sliced up banana with a cup of coffee and I'm full until lunch with 350 calories.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I put my quarter cup of muesli on Greek yoghurt with fruit. Yes, it's still 380 calories, but I've still got 1000 calories left.
  • watercolormama
    watercolormama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite 276 calorie breakfast which is filling and nutritious:

Kashi Go Lean - Cereal, 0.75 cup
    Bob's Red Mill - Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal, 1 tbsp
    Kikkoman Pearl - Unsweetened Organic Soymilk 240ml (8 oz), 120 ml
    All Bran - Bran Buds, 1/10 cup
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)
    Cinnamon which adds flavor and helps blood pressure/cholesterol

Gives you quite a lot of protein with the go lean and soy milk, apples are crunchy and yummy while being loaded with fiber. Ground nutmeg is also tasty. I grind the flaxseed in the spice grinder and keep stored in a glass jar in the fridge. Good luck! Followed by a nice cup of English Breakfast tea - it's the perfect breakfast!

• loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Right now I eat some called fitness chocolate cereals from a generic portuguese brand. For 100g it's 401 calories.
    If that is anything like the European Nestlé FITNESS brands, they are supposed to be 30g per serving for ~155 calories per serving. It appears that most European nutrition labels include both a recommended serving and what 100 grams is nutritionally. Please, check that label again.