Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HELP! this food label is WAY confusing

124»

Replies

• nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    That was so fun to read!!

Popped kernels and Unpopped kernels are obviously not the same food so it makes since to me that the calorie count is different

Not sure how someone got 88 calories a bag.

I also love that the label uses 'about' several times.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    okay, hoping this works (glad I'm not the only one challenged with posting photos for the first time!)

jry1ao.jpg

If you look under the serving size at the top of the box it states (makes about 4 cups popped). Then go to the "Amount Per Serving," it states "1 Cup Popped," look below and it is 35 calories. So, there are about 4 cups of popped popcorn per bag. Take the 4 cups popped and multiply it by the 35 calories for 1 Cup Popped and you get 140 calories per bag. 4 x 35 = 140. The calorie count of 170 is for unpopped popcorn. It seems like all the microwave popcorn boxes are just as screwed up. I don't know why they have to make things so confusing. Hope this helps.

The perfect explanation, great work...was everyone else ignoring the, "makes about 4 cups popped", line? That is the popped yield of the whole bag!!! To those thinking that it would make 10 cups of popcorn just think about what that would look like.

Wrong. That makes absolutely no sense.

Amount per serving is the title of the table. The two serving size options are listed to the right, with their corresponding nutrition values underneath.

Above is listed the convention ratio for unpopped to popped. 35g popped = four cups popped.

If the serving sizes were the same, the nutrition underneath would be the same?

Actually, you make no sense, "35g popped = four cups popped", must be a "European thing". How about "convention ratio"? I've never heard of that one and I've had a lot of math classes. Did you mean conversion rate? And your last sentence, was a statement, not a question. Right? Hey, I do love the metric system though. Now down to business.

Despite all of that, I know what you are trying to say. And I admit that I was wrong with 4 cups to a bag statement. If I would have stayed with my original comment of "1 cup of popped popcorn consumed = 35 calories" I would have been okay.

According to that label, a full bag of that popped popcorn equals 10 cups of popped popcorn which equals 350 calories. If you want to eat the whole bag before you pop it, you will consume 425 calories.

However...

I went to the website and it had the nutrition for that specific popcorn being 170 calories for 4 cups of popped popcorn (the one in the picture must have been incorrect) and there is 2.5 servings, which makes it 425 calories for the bag. The same if it were not popped. My advice would be to eat it popped, it is the same caloric value and it taste better.

My phone uses auto correct. I shall strive to be more vigilant.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    okay, hoping this works (glad I'm not the only one challenged with posting photos for the first time!)

jry1ao.jpg

I run into the same problem with microwave popcorn. My brands of choice: PopSecret or Act II--both with butter, which I should get away from. I did find some lowfat microwave popcorn at Target.

How much popcorn is usually IN a bag?
  • I found a brand that gives me the cals for one bag...too much thinking going on about popcorn...but I was so mappy to see that others had the same issues as me :-) Enjoy your Friday all!
  • I found a brand that gives me the cals for one bag...too much thinking going on about popcorn...but I was so mappy to see that others had the same issues as me :-) Enjoy your Friday all!
    I'm "happy" not "mappy" - damn keyboard
  • This whole thread made me LOL.
    This exact thing happened to me the other night. And honestly, I was so tired and confused that by the time I gave up trying to figure out how many freaking calories were in the thing, I was no longer "hungry" and put the bag back.

Problem solved for me!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member

The perfect explanation, great work...was everyone else ignoring the, "makes about 4 cups popped", line? That is the popped yield of the whole bag!!! To those thinking that it would make 10 cups of popcorn just think about what that would look like.

Serving = 2 Tbsps unpopped = 4 Cups popped
    Servings in bag = 2.5

Therefore: 4 cups x 2.5 = 10 cups popped/bag :)

The label is (deliberately?) misleading by showing a "serving size" beside the popped info that is NOT a serving size.