Whats your #1 go to item when FOOD SHOPPING?

Options
124»

Replies

• steph2331
    steph2331 Posts: 106
    Options
    Apples, carrots, Philadelphia and oats
  • BarbACona
    BarbACona Posts: 76
    Options
    yogurt, nuts almonds or cashews, eggs (just the whites), blueberries, strawberries YUM!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Fruit: apple, orange, peach, nectarine, plum, berries, watermelon, and tomato. (depending on what is in season)
    Veggies: lettuce, onions, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beets, squash (again depending on what is in season)
    Others: eggs, cheese, almond milk and Greek (or low fat) yogurt.
  • eabaker
    eabaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite carb options is the sweet potato. I only started eating them AT ALL 6 months ago. Bake them naked in a 375 degree oven (don't poke holes in them & be sure to line the bottom of your oven with foil) for approximately 40-50 minutes. They come out moist & tender and the natural sugar in them caramelizes in the oven. I eat about 4 ounces per meal so if I've got a large sweet potato it may last me several meals. I eat them plain and love them. This one food item has helped me to avoid the 'bad' carbs and jump started my weight loss.... down 24# so far!
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
    Eggs (I also mainly use just the whites)
    Almond Milk
    Strawberries
    Variety of Veggies
    Canned Tuna
    Beans
    Salmon
    Talapia
    Chicken Breasts
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I do my food shopping online and get it delivered, because I can keep track of how much i'm spending and it's so much easier.

Frozen broccoli
    Scottish oats
    Carrots

Are ALWAYS on my shopping list (:
  • Deej53
    Deej53 Posts: 12
    Options
    Produce managers LOVE me--it's the first place I go! My grocery budget is spent mostly in fresh fruits and veggies. I've found that once I get really in to fruit, I crave manufactured sweets a lot less. Then I find my go-to snack: dry-roasted, unsalted, shelled sunflower seeds. On to the freezer section: frozen fruit, mostly berries, to toss in my morning oatmeal or my homemade yogurt and mixed frozen veggies, usually broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, which can be microwaved for a quick meal or steamed, drained and cooled to add to salads. Then a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts--a family-size generic pack, 'cause though I'm single, I buy 2 weeks at a time (except fresh produce). Actually, the chicken is my "real" go-to. Coupled with veggies, it's a reasonably healthy meal (I don't fry in oil--just a non-stick skillet with a couple of tablespoons of water), or can be sliced and mixed with your choice of ingredients for a salad.
  • rkgirlusa
    rkgirlusa Posts: 7
    Options
    Edamame. Yum! Carrots & hummus (I pretty much live on carrots & hummus.) Fresh fruit in season, good deli sliced chicken, yogurt, broccoli & califlower.
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    Almonds, Kashi cereal, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, eggs.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Beans including Edamame, milk, organic fruits & vegetables
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    Veggies. AAAALLLLL THE VEGGIES!!

Seriously, get whatever veg are cheap and in season, or that you fancy, get some lean frozen meats and fish - chicken fillets and thighs, mince, etc - and some basic carbs - rice and pasta - and you'l have some brilliant meals: you could make:

- stew
    - stuffed peppers
    - salads
    - pasta dishes (what I like to do is, use about half to 2/3 of the reccommende3d serving size of the pasta - usually I go for 70g if the serving on the packet is 90g) then add some basic tomato sauce for a jar, some chicken, and chopped veggies that you sautee while the pasta cooked. A few days ago I had pasta, ready-cooked chicken breast chunks, courgette (zuchinni I think, for you yanks?) and mange tout. It was DELISH and filed a big bowl, but cos the veg and chicken filled it out it felt like I was eating a huge delicious pasta dish but without the cals!
    - fish dishes - I like to get frozen fillets of white fish, then have them seasoned in various ways (heaps of pepper, or lemon, or some herbs....whatever you fancy!! Some low-fat garlic and herb cream cheese smeared on them then baking them is excellent) then you can ahve that with some grilled veggies and a bit of rice. Nice balanced meal!

Basically, anything you make, use veg to fill it out. You'll feel like you're eating loads and getting nice and full and satisfied, while actually you'll be cutting out carbs in a lot of places, and getting lots of vitamins and minerals :D
  • kannemollen
    kannemollen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    kashi breakfast waffles, vita top muffins, spinach/romaine lettuce for salads, hummus (the brand i get is sabra - supremely spicy! it takes like spicy queso!), any fruit that's on sale, lots of veggies, 100% whole grain wheat thins, cottage cheese (REALLY tasty as veggie dip if you mix it with a bit of taco seasoning or dry ranch packet! or as a dressing for salads!), peanut butter, honey, kashi island vanilla cereal rooooocks too!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Meats, fish, nuts, nut butters, anything protein. It's the hardest for me to get enough of.;)
    I'm going food shopping in a bit, and I'm in a bit of a rut. I get the same foods every time, and though they are tasty, good for me, and low in calorie, I'm getting a bored.

Give me your top three healthy picks at the food store!!!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Meat (mostly chicken and beef or whatever is on sale)
    Cheese
    Veggies (lettuce, peppers, onions, tomatoes (yes, I do know those are fruits, don't care)
    Sour cream -- I can give up everything else but this
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Spinach
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Chipotle sauce....I put this on eeeeeeevvvvryyyyyyythinggggggggg now. LOL If I go home without it (which I haven't yet) I'll be p.o.d.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely, unapologetically ADDICTED to Emerald's dry roasted cocoa almonds. Oh, god..they are so delicious.. I get them every week :)

Pumpkin seeds are another staple.. my grocery store sells them in bulk. Big fat pumpkin seeds. Not those sad little prepackaged ones.

I also go through tons of almond milk, the 40 cal unsweetened kind.
  • SkinnyByTammie
    Options
    Top 3: spinach, eggs, cucumbers :-)