What is your secret diet food ?

Options

Replies

• BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I might go out tomorrow and get a hot air popcorn maker. We don't really need another gadgets in the kitchen but can't say no to low calories snacking.
  • ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Swede and turnips are different. In my experience swedes are bigger and more yellowy/orange and turnips are more of a creamy colour. I love swede but can't stand turnips.
  • rustythezippergirl
    Options
    silly me. i got some beets a month ago, and they were . . . um, okay. used them in smoothies.

a couple weeks later i saw white beets! hurrah. thought they might be milder, so i bought them. they were much better. oh, and the dogs loved them.

a couple days ago i was looking at the package, it says TURNIPS. lol

snuck that one by me, i was sure i didn't like turnips.

when we had thanksgiving at grandmother's house, there were always bowls of hideous orange, yellow, and burnt umber mush on the table. guess that turned me off to most root vegetables and winter squashes.

now they are too starchy for my eating plan, but the two that are left are sprouting. maybe i'll plant them and munch on the greens.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Turnips. My husband and daughter peel them and eat them raw. Personally I can't stand them.

My go to thing is mandarin oragnes. Sweet enough to curb my sweet cravings, small enough that I can eat one, or two, whenever I want, and so yummy.
  • BillyPinky
    Options
    Mine is Swede, only 26 calories per 100g and I love it

A great replacement for mash potato , a very cleansing face pack and in an emergency a draft excluder.

Billy

My mom is from Scotland and has always called it a turnip. I love them! Most people I know haven't tried them either. I just hate peeling and cutting them!

Turnips and Swede are different?

Swedes in England and called Turnips in Scotland.

I have seen turnips in the supermarkets in London. They look like a swede but much smaller.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Beanitos--they are like tortilla chips but they are made out of pinto or black beans, brown rice, and flax seeds.They are high in fiber, a good source of protein, relatively low in carbohydrates with a low GI (as compared to other chips) and low in sodium. They are also corn free and gluten free. AND, they. Taste. Amazing. Really, really delicious. Like, if I had known about them before I started, I would have been eating them then, too. They don't seem like a diet food when I eat them, and they are really good on a little platter with cottage cheese and chopped veggies, and maybe hummus if you're feeling extra hungry.

Oh smoke. I wanna try those! Where does one buy these things!?

I live in an urban area with lots of health-minded independent grocery stores, so they are easy to find for me. Places like Whole Foods most likely have them. I just went to the website and they have a store locator!
  • kcputtytat
    kcputtytat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I will have to give turnips a whirl. Never tried them. I love black beans. I add them to soups and salad. Also love to make black bean hummus; very tasty. I just replace the chick peas with black beans,,.yummy.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I'm from Ireland and when I was young ( a very time ago) you couldn't get pumpkins and we use to crave out Swede/Turnip to make the halloween lanterns.

Is that hard to do? They look like they're kinda small!
  • gingah73
    gingah73 Posts: 28
    Options
    Egg white omelettes with mushrooms and feta cheese = YUM! :heart:

1 cup egg whites = 117 cal
    1/4 cup feta cheese = 80 cal
    5 oz white mushrooms = 30 cal

227 calories for a big, satisfying meal that's quick to make and loaded with protein (and easily adjusted for fewer calories)
  • kcputtytat
    kcputtytat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can order Beanitos from a company called Vitacost. Here is the link
    http://www.vitacost.com/
    They are yummy and I use black bean hummus as a dip.
  • BillyPinky
    Options

I'm from Ireland and when I was young ( a very time ago) you couldn't get pumpkins and we use to crave out Swede/Turnip to make the halloween lanterns.

Is that hard to do? They look like they're kinda small!

Theyre the size of a small
    cantaloupe melon and twice as hard as a potato. Really hard work.
  • livingandlovinglife
    livingandlovinglife Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I love Trident Seafoods "Pacific Salmon Burgers". They are yummy! One four ounce serving contains 170 calories, 9g of fat, 2g of carbs, 20g of protein....oh and 1360 mg of Omega-3! Did I mention that they are yummy too lol?
  • JessMySize
    JessMySize Posts: 130
    Options
    Fiber One Brownies which are only 90 calories per brownie and loaded with fiber. ;)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    grilled zucchini
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My mom is from Scotland and has always called it a turnip. I love them! Most people I know haven't tried them either. I just hate peeling and cutting them!
    [/quote]

They are a bugger to peel.

[/quote]

Oh yes! we used to do that too. I was so impressed when I discoverd pumpkins...Thank you USA
  • johnsnana
    johnsnana Posts: 63
    Options
    I tried those & they made me gag! Something about the smell (like fish) when you open the bag. And even after rinsing, they still smell like fish. The texture is so weird & nothing like noodles that I just couldn't stomach them!
  • johnsnana
    johnsnana Posts: 63
    Options
    I love 100% Pure Libby's Pumpkin. A great tasting, natural & effective way to "keep you regular". It has 300% of your RDA of
    Vitamin A, 5 grams of Fiber & is only 40 calories a serving. I add cinnamon & 1.5 servings of half & half & two packets of Stevia (natural sugar free sweetener) & it's like eating pumpkin pie filling!
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Recently? well, individually not so recently, but I just started combining them, and OHHH what a treat...

whole wheat sandwich thins, toasted, and topped with a generous helping of chocolate PB2 that was mixed with Truvia.

Reminds me a lot of Nutella on wheat toast. however, this is only 190 calories for all of it, and that's for 4- yes FOUR tablespoons of chocolate peanutbutter goodness...

drool... :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Beanitos--they are like tortilla chips but they are made out of pinto or black beans, brown rice, and flax seeds.They are high in fiber, a good source of protein, relatively low in carbohydrates with a low GI (as compared to other chips) and low in sodium. They are also corn free and gluten free. AND, they. Taste. Amazing. Really, really delicious. Like, if I had known about them before I started, I would have been eating them then, too. They don't seem like a diet food when I eat them, and they are really good on a little platter with cottage cheese and chopped veggies, and maybe hummus if you're feeling extra hungry.

I discovered these last week, and they really are amazingly delicious! It is a pretty expensive treat, so I can only afford them every once in while, but WOW! They are very tasty
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options
    Great thread!

My standby is simply scrambled eggs and shredded hash browns, with peppers, onions and maybe a little andouille sausage thrown in. It can be a massive breakfast (or lunch or dinner) without piling on the calories.

Mashed cauliflower sounds great! Can you mash it after you grill it? I love to grill it and get that roasty, smoky flavor.

And... Bacon. Yes.

i imagine you could, but you'd have to realllllly grill it and i'm wondering if it would burn. when you boil it it sort of has to be for like 20 minutes until its almost crumbling apart, that way it is smooth and creamy like potatoes!