What is your secret diet food ?

Options

Replies

• Alicemarieed
    Alicemarieed Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Mm love it mashed with carrot and lots of butter mmm!
  • RebekahDarker
    Options
    Garden fresh tomatoes and 2% cottage cheese. Of course it is the tomatoes that make it delicious. I enjoy for the sweetness, sugar-free jello and non-dairy whipped topping. Hope these are of help.
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mine is Swede, only 26 calories per 100g and I love it

A great replacement for mash potato , a very cleansing face pack and in an emergency a draft excluder.

Billy

My mom is from Scotland and has always called it a turnip. I love them! Most people I know haven't tried them either. I just hate peeling and cutting them!

Turnips and Swede are different?

Swedes in England and called Turnips in Scotland.

I have seen turnips in the supermarkets in London. They look like a swede but much smaller.
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mine is Swede, only 26 calories per 100g and I love it

A great replacement for mash potato , a very cleansing face pack and in an emergency a draft excluder.

Billy

My mom is from Scotland and has always called it a turnip. I love them! Most people I know haven't tried them either. I just hate peeling and cutting them!

Turnips and Swede are different?

Swedes in England and called Turnips in Scotland.

I have seen turnips in the supermarkets in London. They look like a swede but much smaller.
    I think they're different (I'm English, now live in the US). Someone else said it, swedes are a bit more orange in colour and turnips are whiter. Don't know about the taste. I like them now (roasted) but hated them at school when they were mashed with carrots and seemed really woody!!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I love rutabagas, but that picture is a picture of turnips, which are very close to rutabagas but not the same identical thing.

I like rutabagas boiled, steamed, or raw......love the crunchiness in them raw!!!!

They are an acquired taste (just like turnips are) and not many people in my part of the world eat them. Such a loss... :)
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    I love rutabaga! I also love smoothies made with frozen fruit and nonfat yogurt - great ice cream substitute and lower calorie. Pretty filling too. My fav is pineapple and I add a really good coconut extract.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have something different that I like. It is a "hummus wrap." i get Flat Out Flat Bread (90 calories), put 3 Tbls of hummus on that (90 calories), 2 slices of tomatoes, then top it off with 3 Cups of fresh spinach leaves. Then I wrap (fold) that up and eat it. It is so good, filling, has fiber, and under 300 calories. I owe my thanks to a dietitian, Misha, who told me about this.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've never even HAD a rutabaga! You mash it?

AKA turnip.

I love them in stir fries, really a great potato substitute for someone like me who thinks sweet potatoes are disgusting :)
  • skimbrough28
    skimbrough28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think we call it a turnip:)
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Beanitos--they are like tortilla chips but they are made out of pinto or black beans, brown rice, and flax seeds.They are high in fiber, a good source of protein, relatively low in carbohydrates with a low GI (as compared to other chips) and low in sodium. They are also corn free and gluten free. AND, they. Taste. Amazing. Really, really delicious. Like, if I had known about them before I started, I would have been eating them then, too. They don't seem like a diet food when I eat them, and they are really good on a little platter with cottage cheese and chopped veggies, and maybe hummus if you're feeling extra hungry.

Where can I get these? In Canada? *fingers crossed...

Edit: damn... http://beanitos.com/where.html
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    French Fries. Duh.

But seriously, I don't have one.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with breakfast

clif bar after dinner : replaces dessert.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower, you can do the same thing, mash it as a potato substitute or to replace rice.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Another Greek Yogurt fan here!

I like this thread, I'm excited to try some new things... sweet potato, pumpkin & turnips... oh my!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I love greek olive hummus and veggies when I want something savory....I just have to restrain myself from eating half the container!
  • nancycola
    nancycola Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like rutabaga! Good idea to replace potato with it. I don't eat many potatoes but next time...
  • nancycola
    Options
    OH and how could i forget...mashed cauliflower! i boil it, add like 5 cloves of roasted garlic (wonderful health benefits), and a bunch of chili powder and use my immersion blender. best kitchen tool i've ever purchased.

Ooh! I'm going to use that recipe!
    I'm digging on the seasonal stuff here at the moment. I've been grilling eggplant, eating wonderfully sweet raw tomato with a sprinkle of salt. Same with cucumber.

When autumn rolls around I'll be buying more apples, squash and carrots. My food coop has some pretty stuff. 3/4's of my trip is in the produce section. :)
  • nancycola
    Options
    Steamed Broccoli... absolutely love it.

Plain popcorn is a miracle snack too. It allows me to shove my face without having to be too conscious of my calorie intake.

I like these ideas lots. Love steamed broccoli. Love popcorn. What do you put on your popcorn?
    My husband usually makes it, in the pot, and adds more oil than I'm comfortable with. I guess if I made it I can just add salt and nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor. Hm?
  • b1g_tun4
    b1g_tun4 Posts: 48
    Options
    Topo Chico Mineral Water
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero ice cream, only 148 calories for the whole pint!

http://www.myarcticzero.com/

this is the best discovery.. I'm going to have some now!