How do you stay motivated to work out?

Options
124»

Replies

• ReginasHorror
    ReginasHorror Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I found standing naked in front of a full-length mirror and scrutinizing myself is always a motivator, but I wouldn't say it's the best for my self-esteem. You're always your harshest critic after all.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    We need to learn from our children...........running, jumping, chasing after a ball is all play. As adults we lose that sense of fun and start looking at exercise as a necessary chore. The day I made running "play" was the day that it became much easier for me and is now something I look forward to.

I love this!
    For me, challenges help me along the way. I might not plan on it but one day it'll cross my mind to think "ok, let's try running a mile further than usual today" or "let's see if I can beat my last speed mile record". Sign yourself up for some local races so you have to keep yourself in good running shape to get good pace times (or whatever your goal is).

Treat yourself to a new pair of running shoes and/or clothes - something to make it more appealing.

Get your bf interested if you can so you two can work out together like a few other posters mentioned. Wish I could do this with my hubs but at least I've got an awesome gym buddy!
  • tappleton17
    tappleton17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do not even think about it. I just know after I get off work after an 8 hr day or a 16 hr day I need to get on that treadmill for 75 minutes. It has become an after work thing for a month now. I feel horribly guilty if I do not do it! I do not like beating myself up so I just change my clothes and hit the gym. Afterwards when I am done I can sing all the way home in my car because I feel better and I feel accomplished!

In my mind I have it set just like an alarm clock going off. If you do not set it then you wont get up and do it.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Two things keep me motivated. The first is knowing that I'm healthier when I exercise than when I don't. The second is doing exercise that I actually *enjoy* doing. I feel like I've had a great day, rather than I just worked out, check that off my list of things to do.
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    "they" say that if you repeat a behavior 21 times, it becomes a habit.

I personally have found this to be true. If I do it 21 times, I will feel weird if I do NOT do it after that.

So set up a schedule in your phone or something for 21 times. Then constantly scold yourself "cmon...it's only 21 times! Don't be LAAAAAAAAAME!" Surely you can do something 21 times in a row. Once you're past 21 times, you won't have to motivate yourself - you will feel strange if you don't do it.

*shrug*

works for me. Good luck!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    When I think too much about it it doesn't happen. I just go and do it.
  • enriqueeegonzalez
    Options
    I have to admit I've never felt motivated to work out in my life. Even having a gym in the building I live in isn't motivation enough. So I decided to combine it with something I love to do... play PS3 games!

I started playing PS3 Move games to workout and burn cals! I had to find a chance to work out doing something I love, otherwise it would have never worked. Now when I play I burn an average of 900 cals.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated: I like seeing results!!!! I feel tired and crappy the next day if I don't do some sort of workout! I try to have a friend go walking/jogging with me, so we make it a plan and who wants to be the one ditching out? NOT me! It helps when someone else is there to make you feel like you have to go. Once I start feeling like I'm not gonna do it, I just get up and do it and I am always glad I did! :)
  • jlsoules
    jlsoules Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As someone who has "been there, done that" I will share what I have done now to keep myself going. I used to go to Jazzercise, years ago and of course something happened and I came up with a lame excuse and missed a day here and a day there until I was missing all the days. I've worked out and lost weight and stopped and gained it all back many times.

However, this time is different for me. My family lives off of our calendar. I have a dry erase calendar in the dining room where we can all see it and if the activity or whatever is not on there, it is likely not going to happen. Each person in our family has a certain color so we know who's activity it is even. My Jazzercise is now on the calendar. It's programmed into the electronic calendar too, which three of us have access to and it also matches the house calendar. This makes not only me aware of what is going on but everyone in the house too. They all know I'm going to be late coming home because I'm stopping at Jazzercise. Dinners are prearranged so the kids can help me get it going, rides are obtained if necessary (I trade, others take the kids to and I take the kids home), and most of all I DON'T go home first. I go straight from work, otherwise I would never go back out to get it done! There is always something else we can do but we have to make time for us!!

I've had to tell myself, I'm just as important. I feel so much better after! Both mentally and physically, not to mention that in the long run I will look better. :) I've already lost inches and it's only been three weeks for me but I'm back and I will do this!! You can too!!!
    You can do it! You will feel better, your attitude will be better, and you'll
  • warrenvalley
    warrenvalley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm not disciplined enough to exercise just for the sake of exercise. I have to be "in training". Right now I'm training for my second half marathon after completing the Warrior Dash in June.

This includes a training calendar printed out on the fridge where I check off my workouts each day. The event is coming and it's challenging enough so I know I HAVE to train to make it. I've also spent some money on registration so that's a motivator.

I'm not a morning person, so this makes me keep to the scheduled workouts in the evening.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Eventually everything does it. Habit. How clothes fit.. looks from passerby's ..sex ..how I feel naked in my own skin.. its all a motivator.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I find that motivation comes from my short term goals. I keep several short term goals that I am personally excited about. If I reach them, or if I lose interest in them, I find new ones. I'm constantly seeking out new goals to replace or add to my list. Every time in the past that I have failed, its because my short term goals became less interesting and I just let go.

Set a physical goal, find a class or sport you want to pursue. Something fun to YOU. Set a short term food goal, or weight/inch loss goal. If you start to lose interest, waste no time in seeking out the next thing. As long as you are excited about your goals, you will have all the motivation you need!

Trust me!! :OD
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Make it fun! Make it enjoyable! Find a workout that you like. It doesn't have to be running on a treadmill for an hour. If it's not fun and you're not enjoying what you're doing, you will have a hard time doing it.

I dance. I surf. I play soccer. I enjoy all those things so working out is not a chore. It's a treat. It's fun. I get sad when I miss a day of any of those things. I do weight/resistance training once in a while when I'm at a gym waiting for a dance class.

Working out doesn't have to be a chore.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I make it part of my routine, so that it just happens automatically without me having to think about it. I joined a gym that is near my home and it is on the way home from work, so I go to the gym after work and then go home. And I always go to the sauna, steam room and hot tub when I go to the gym, so that is something I actively look forward to, because it's relaxing. Often after work I will go to the gym and think to myself that I will just go to the steam room, but then I always decide I might as well do a quick workout once I'm there.

Now it's the holidays so I don't have that routine and I haven't been going to the gym, but I'm doing the 30-day shred - I find short term challenges like that are a good motivator, because they have a specific timeframe, and it's fun to see how one's body changes within a certain timeframe.
  • wgh1988
    wgh1988 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We need to learn from our children...........running, jumping, chasing after a ball is all play. As adults we lose that sense of fun and start looking at exercise as a necessary chore. The day I made running "play" was the day that it became much easier for me and is now something I look forward to.

^ I just thought I'd say that what you said right there is an incredibly bright attitude, and is a great reason to motivate yourself. I need to focus on exercise in the same light.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    New thing I've started doing is reserving something only for pre or post workout. I cut out juice, soda, basically everything but water, brewed tea and coffee for the last few months. Now I have half a cup of orange juice before I work out to spike my sugar and get a few calories into me since it's first thing in the morning and I can't handle working out after eating. I only drink juice as a pre workout drink so I better get my butt in gear if I want some OJ
  • ktull68
    ktull68 Posts: 19
    Options
    It sound like you are not alone. First I had to find something I LOVE and that had enough variety to keep my from feeling bored. Then I have to tell myself "you will feel better if you do it!" Exercise has NEVER helped me lose weight because of my over eating habits. It only helps me feel better, fit in my clothes better and keep up with a household. I've seen people who have never exercised a day in their lives stay small simply because they didn't over eat. I've also seen people who were confined to a wheel chair lose weight when they cut back on how much they were eating.
  • Lumett
    Lumett Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Making it part of your daily routine is the best idea you can possibly do, look at it from this perspective, nobody likes going to work every day but it's part of peoples daily routine so people just do it on autopilot, alongside doign something you ENJOY, this is again critical, if it feels like a chore of course you're going to be demotivated, do something you really enjoy and want to do to be better in, not because you want to lose wait etc. For example, I swim because I want to be better at swimming, not to lose weight but I lose weight and get lean in the process, seriously just find something you enjoy and incorporate it into your life, go straight after work etc you will soon fall into the habit :)
    Just don't give up !

All the best :)