Bump - thanks!
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Overall good info. However, I am curious as to what support Alan Aragon and others have for the statement that you can get similar health benefits from weight training as you can from cardio? I've tried googling this, but all I've found is this claim being made with no scientific support, and it seems to be used more often as a justification used by those who dislike cardio.

Well I can not answer your question directly, but what is being referred to is maintaining basic cardiovascular health, nothing more. If you perform things like squats, deadlifts, bench presses, overhead presses, barbell rows, chin\pullups, dips, power cleans\snatches, etc. at or near max effort (as much weight as you can handle in whatever rep range you work in) you will get plenty of elevated heart rate for keeping it strong. I guess support could easily enough be gotten by wearing an HRM while performing such lifts in said manner. It should not be until someone is more advanced that they would have a true "leg day," but people who do have them sometimes get near or over the line of vomitting, so they are probably getting a pretty good cardio workout.

Edit: I just happened upon a bit of anecdotal evidence ;)http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/705076-heart-rate-during-weights-vs-cardio
  • drauch67
    Options
    I'm 45 and haven't really lifted weights for years. I did 2 cycles of p90x in 2010 and since have done only bodyweight and dumbells. I started training kickboxing in January and just started with BJJ two weeks ago, so this year has been mainly about endurance. However, I began the Starting Strength program two weeks ago and have found it to be great-it's simple and focuses on form and a steady increase in the amount lifted.
  • kmburns3
    kmburns3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much for all that useful and well-researched information. I especially got a kick out of the "*uckarounditits" site (and sadly, recognized myself there) :embarassed:

I've printed your post for future use in case I can't find it again.

THANK YOU!
  • stillill99
    Options
    Great info there dude - thanks !
  • irenephillip824
    Options
    Thank you for this useful information, typos and all.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • billmoe92
    Options
    bump
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    Bumping to read later sitting at the Airport...

Thx in advance... I'm sure it'll be good...

: ))
  • WinterLush
    Options
    bump
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump BUMP! Thanks!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • krizz5u6
    krizz5u6 Posts: 64
    Options
    bump
  • FitNWise
    FitNWise Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jdennis719
    jdennis719 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    totally need this --- thanks a million! :smile:
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Not a newbie but wanting to check out all the links when I have more time. Thanks for putting it all in one place :happy:
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump =) thanks