Were you treated differently after losing alot of weight?

Options
For those of you that have lost a lot of weight tell me if people acted different towards you or if you noticed any other changes with yourself.

Did you get more stares?

Did you get negative or jealous reactions fromn friends/family?

Discuss

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Yes. I lost 57 pounds so far and people are nicer to me in general. Cashiers don't give me attitude as much and are more likely to go out of their way to help me. Before losing the weight, I went into Victoria's Secret and all I got were snotty attitudes and "we don't have THAT size here." Now I lost the weight, I still can't fit into their stuff but they're more willing to help me look and say, "are you sure? I'm sure you can fit into this."

Family have asked me about how I did it and how much I lost, how close I am getting to my goal. I do get the "are you sure you should be eating that? Is that on your diet?" I say, "Yup! I saved calories for it and will go to the gym tomorrow." :P
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60+lbs so far and friends and family notice the difference, but I don't think I'm treated any differently by anyone (stranger or not). Well, I'll clarify. The process of losing the weight got me treated a little differently. People thought I was obsessing too much about my weight/exercise/nutrition, but I don't think I'm being treated differently after losing the weight.

Jeans are a little easier to shop for. I guess that's sort of an indirect treatment by mainstream stores in a general way.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    all that.

I've always been somewhat overweight at least. In 2005 i went from 5'10" 280 to 5'10" 190 and about 10% bodyfat. During the next year I got up to 210 at about the same body fat %.

I absolutely got treated differently. Both male and female were more apt to stay engaged in conversations, and there's just smaller signs of people's respect/attractions.

I knew I was doing something right when I started to get hit on by men...which was a totally new experience for this sheltered youngster (was 25 at the time).

I'd sinced gained some of it back after life and my old habbits happened and it's changed back again to how I was treated before somewhat. Women still treat you differently if they see the ring though (seriously, it means I'm married, not please try to steal me), but that's for a different thread.

I'm getting close to being back to that level of fitness (and to the point where I look good clothed) and the treatment's returning.

I don't think most people realize they treat others so differently though.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I think most of it is because I act differently. I'm am more confident about myself and have no problem being assertive if I need to be. It's truly a mental change as well as phiscal for me. I walk a little taller, hold my head up and look like I am someone who is strong and confident!!!! :)
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Yes, definately.

Like a previous poster, I've always shopped at Victoria's Secret, but now the same women that were not so helpful are the ones telling me how great I look and helping me find what I'm looking for.

I go to the gym to sweat - no makeup, messy hair and soaked by the end. Guy told me yesterday that he works out at 7am every Saturday and Sunday morning just "to see the red headed goddess tear it up". If I wasn't sweaty I would have hugged him for that.

But the only negativity I get is from my cousin who's extremely overweight. I've offered countless times to take her to the gym with me when she's going off about being fat, but she never takes me up on it. Instead I get the "your starting to get too skinny" or "you know its in our family to be big after having a kid so don't expect to lose too much".

So yeah - treated differently in both negative and positive ways.
  • curiouskate
    curiouskate Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Lost 120 lb. I notice a huge difference in the way people treat me- especially strangers in retail. I used to feel invisible, couldn't find someone to help me to save my life. Now they fall all over themselves trying to help.

Honestly, I preferred when they ignored me.

I also got several opportunities at work I would not have otherwise gotten (public speaking mostly) and people definitely treat me differently. My job is all on the computer, so my size definitely did not affect how I performed.

I appreciate the positive changes in the way I am treated, while at the same size I'm sad that society is the way it is. Large people are still people and deserve the same respect and service as anyone else.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 230 to 164, but other than a few compliments, I haven't seen any change in the way people treat me.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost weight I also shaved my head , when I went to church people were asking if it was my first time there , I had been going 4 years and some of them knew me
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I was once in shape at a healthy weight and now I'm working to get back down to that weight. People definitely treated me differently when I was at a lower weight and also now that I'm at a higher weight. It was more positive treatment at the lower weight.
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Not by anyone in particular but I think in general. I can remember comments people made about my weight before lol fortunately for me I separate myself from those jerks.
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I get more stares in a good way and then theres some people that say bad things like she still needs to lose more weight, but i am just happy to have went from 381 to 277 i know i have 107 more pounds to lose but i just taking my time cause i dont want a lot of saggy skin
    25438163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I believe I have been treated differently, but as someone else stated, it could be because I feel a lot more confident. I've always been a very courteous person, but now it seems people go out of their way to help - especially men.

I have also had people at work (again, mostly men) who now say hello to me who in the past didn't give me the time of day. When people do that, it tells me a lot about them.
  • JulieRoselovesFreeze
    Options
    I haven't lost "alot" of weight... but I am definately getting hit on more now :smokin:
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Absolutely! When I am at a lower weight people are much more talkative and friendly. I hope I don't treat people like that.
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ditto! I lost 76lbs, I get more help and people are nicer towards me when I'm out shopping. I worked at a different location before I lost the weight and almost a yr out my office location was closed and I was moved to a different location. I notice the women look at every outfit I wear to the office, they look at me up and down, I get compliments.. but I know they are hating on me, well some of them. I even get private messages on facebook from friends asking for weigh loss advise.. it's sweet, I help them out by telling them how I did it and I recommend MFP all the way!

I also get, "oh be careful not to get too skinny" or "you should stop at where you are and not lose anymore".. oh well what can you do, before I was too fat and now I get told I'm too thin. I'm happy as I am at the moment and that's what counts!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I just get compliments.
  • SerenityGelsinger
    SerenityGelsinger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do find that when I lose weight (I tend to fluctuate) I do get more friendly response when I go into a clothing store. That being said perhaps I am giving off a more positive vibe when I feel better about myself.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yep, I feel like I'm treated completely different. I was invisible when I went into stores..and couldn't even think of shopping at VS which I LOVE now...only now I have the opposite problem...I am too small around and the boobies are still "big" so trying to find the right support is always a challenge.

I am treated differently by my parents too...one is supportive and one is trying to be distractive, but to no avail. I also get the "you're not going to lose more are you?" or that I'm obsessed because I workout daily.

Those who need to work on their health journey also complain and say they could never do what I've done...but that's not true. The difference, however, is I've gotten to where I've committed to doing something about my weight and my health and they haven't reached that point yet. Until they do, I can talk until I'm blue in the face and it won't make a difference.

Stay on your path, and do what's best for you.
  • ReneeJ814
    ReneeJ814 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I definitely have been treated differently. One time I lost 50 pounds and people were a lot friendlier to me and suddenly wanted to hang out with me more. Also, once I started gaining the weight back, they didn't want to hang out with me as much. This was especially true with people from the church. Nobody has ever been mean to me or made fun of me for my weight; at least not to my face.

In my experience, I don't think that people treated me differently intentionally. I guess it was a subconscious thing. I think that many people assume that if you're overweight, you're lazy, and we all know that's not true.

This time around my friends and family have been very supportive. Hopefully the support continues.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've always been friendly towards people but I'm surprised that people that I didn't even know me "personally" realized I've lost weight... at work and at church. Many occassions people men and wome have come up and asked me how I did it and sought out my advice because they've seen the weight come off slow. At work some folks have called a friend of mine (who works in anoth building at least 20 min away) if I've had surgery. She assured them that I didn't and they should ask me themselves. One co-worker who is heavier use to speak to me all the time..but now she walks right by me. I still speak and smile regardless because that's just how I am. I've also notice that me shedding the pounds have encouraged other women who work directly with me to take their health more serious and almost all of us are working out and/or eating diffrently. :smile: