Gym Pricing

Options
124»

Replies

• zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym walking distance from my house and I pay $83.. I know it is steep but I can walk there and they have great amentities. So our $55 doesn't seem so bad. LOL

Well, they are offering a 7 day trail membership for free but I'm not sure if there is any catch. Plus having to hook up a gym to my checking account makes me nervous as heck.

I do NOT recommend letting your gym have access to your checking account. I've heard way too many horror stories about gyms that keep on charging for months even after the members cancel. It's similar to "free trial" fraud in that once they've got you trapped into a "payment arrangement", its difficult as heck to get out. Before you join any gym, check with the Better Business Bureau and sites like ripoffreport. And don't be afraid to walk away if your gut instinct tell you to.

This isn't to say that all gyms are bad. I've been a member of several different YMCA/YWCAs, as well as small private gyms, and have always been happy with them. Personally I'd steer clear of any gym that pressures you to make a long-term commitment. You never know if something might change (either with the gym or your own circumstances) down the road.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym walking distance from my house and I pay $83.. I know it is steep but I can walk there and they have great amentities. So our $55 doesn't seem so bad. LOL

Well, they are offering a 7 day trail membership for free but I'm not sure if there is any catch. Plus having to hook up a gym to my checking account makes me nervous as heck.

I do NOT recommend letting your gym have access to your checking account. I've heard way too many horror stories about gyms that keep on charging for months even after the members cancel. It's similar to "free trial" fraud in that once they've got you trapped into a "payment arrangement", its difficult as heck to get out. Before you join any gym, check with the Better Business Bureau and sites like ripoffreport. And don't be afraid to walk away if your gut instinct tell you to.

This isn't to say that all gyms are bad. I've been a member of several different YMCA/YWCAs, as well as small private gyms, and have always been happy with them. Personally I'd steer clear of any gym that pressures you to make a long-term commitment. You never know if something might change (either with the gym or your own circumstances) down the road.

A lot of gyms have that as the only option nowadays- the direct withdraw option. I would not sign up for a long term commitment though- I agree with that. The YMCA is month-to-month, so I can cancel or put my membership on hold if necessary at any time. I have a HUGE bill from a gym I joined 3 years ago and signed onto for three years. Six months in, something bad happened in my life and I couldn't go and I couldn't pay the $95 a month. Now that's on my credit. If you don't have to make a long-term commitment, don't.

Another thing I did was I waited until I had worked out for almost 5 months straight at home before I joined a gym. I have a bad habit of making big plans before waning motivation. I wanted to make sure that I would really stick with this, and the gym was a reward. Before the gym I went to free tennis courts and played or did workout DVDs at home.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I got a 24 hour fitness membership through Costco..it was like $300 for two years...a damn good deal, in my opinion. You can go to any 24 hr fitness except the top tier club (I forget what they call it).

When I lived in Michigan, I used a place called fitness $19...there was some BS initiation fee, some other BS fee in January, but other than that it was 19 bux.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Gym- $62/month
    Crossfit- $145/month

sure does take a big chunk of my paycheck!!

hahah :-)

My crossfit is $195! No free classes, no childcare. It's dirty. It's freaking HOT, (the fans don't even come on until it's 105 degrees). I drive a half hour to get there. I will never go anywhere else. Oh, I also have private coaching......$$$

yikes!! i had to sign a 6 month contract to get that price. otherwise it would be $170...also mine is only 3/week...my fiance signed up for a year contract with unlimited classes and he pays $150, or else his would be the same as yours...
    crossfit is so expensive... but so awesome haha