Annoyed with 'obsessed' comments

Options
124»

Replies

• Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like to get my workout in first thing in the am so it's done and nothing that comes up later in the day throws me off schedule. Depending on my schedule, this may mean getting up at 4 am to 'get er done'. Many people (including one today) have told me this is obsessive. I totally disagree - I think it's a commitment. Anyone else experience this 'feedback'?

You're right. You should hand them a dictionary and tell them, "there's a huge difference between obsession and dedication, look it up."
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    A huge thank you to everyone! You've made me feel pretty good about what I'm doing vs questioning my sanity. :smile: Well, I still do that from time to time but for totally different reasons:laugh:
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just changed my exercise routine to mornings because of advice from my RD. She says that if you work out on an empty stomach in the morning, then the exercise burns fat because that's the only fuel readily available. If you workout during the day or evening, it will burn sugar for fuel. Do what's right for you.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    There's a saying I've heard that you might appreciate: "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."

This is actually my status message in one of the IMs I use
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I get soo annoyed when people say Im obsessed with fitness. They dont understand why I would rather eat oatmeal and eggs for breakfast instead of donuts and muffins. The thing that recently bothered me the most was when I posted a picture of myself on facebook, some people said things like "lay off the roids". I guess I should just take it as a compliment because Im natural but it just totally makes it seem like I haven't put in countless gym hours of hard work (missed 5 days in the past year).

Just about anyone not into lifting and even some that are do not have a clue how big someone can get and how fast they can get there naturally if they are "doing it right" Average height and generally average dude can do ~20lbs in their first year and 40-50lbs in 5 or so. That is going to look big as f*** to most people.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem here. You were having a conversation about working out and the other person had an opinion you don't agree with. Everyone has an opinion and we don't have to be in agreement with them. Her opinion was dumb, but so what? I don't let things like faze me, not even for the 3 secs it takes me to forget what they said. We're all big boys and girls here and should be able to suffer the utterances of idiots from time to time.
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would say "thank you". Why does the word 'obsessed' have to be a negative thing? if I'm obsessing about something that's good for me, then it's a positive in my book.
  • Raven413
    Raven413 Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm with you! I'm a morning person and I, too, am up at 4:00 to get my workout in before heading off to work. #1, it really helps me start my day feeling great. #2, when I get home I USUALLY find a reason NOT to work out and last, but not least, IT'S NOBODY'S BUSINESS WHAT I DO OR WHEN I DO IT!!!!

Have a great day everyone and enjoy your workout, whenever you choose to do it. :happy:
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There's a saying I've heard that you might appreciate: "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."

Love this!!!
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    Don't let them get to you. I feel guilty as heck f I don't get up and do at least 20 minutes in the morning. I typically get in alot more at night but I know like you that your plans can easily be foiled. Stay dedicated it's so worth it!
  • mickigoad
    mickigoad Posts: 51 Member
    Options

^ that!

The one's who tell you that you are obsessed are not as dedicated to their health as you are and can't control their jealousy regarding that fact. Keep it up!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    I like to get my workout in first thing in the am so it's done and nothing that comes up later in the day throws me off schedule. Depending on my schedule, this may mean getting up at 4 am to 'get er done'. Many people (including one today) have told me this is obsessive. I totally disagree - I think it's a commitment. Anyone else experience this 'feedback'?

OK everyone - I really don't mean to go on and on, but I think you might find what happened today a little ironic considering my post yesterday. Long story short - a couple of weeks ago, the President of our company came into the kitchen while I was measuring my yogurt :smile: He was surprised and asked me if I can't just "eyeball" it. I told him eyeballing it is what go me into trouble. Fast forward to today. Same scenario. When he came into the kitchen I said to him - "you can't ridicule me because I'm measuring". He said - "No, I believe quite the opposite! I find it inspiring. You've inspired me to eat healthier and I think you should tell everyone what you're doing - take your show on the road!" Nice!