The "C" Word...

Options

Replies

• FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Constipation! UGH major issue for me I have tried to correct it naturally and do okay for a bit but BAM it comes right back. Anyone else have chronic issues with this that can offer advice? Taking a laxative, softener, or cleanse every day is NOT healthy. I need different solutions. I am 100% clean eater at this point (see my diary if you don't believe me) and I do not consume dairy products or other binding products at all. I am SO frustrated, I feel like I have to go but NOTHING happens when I try. HELP!!!!! I have probably tried almost everything but at the chance I may not have I want to hear real life suggestions. THANK YOU! xoxo

400mg of Magnesium citrate on a daily basis.

Never gotten that suggestion! Where do I get it?
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    What kind of fruit do you eat? I've found grapes keep me going, sometimes more often than I want to. :-P
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oh and sometimes if I'm having a hard time, I add powdered fiber (like Benefiber) into any meal I'm cooking, or anything I'm drinking.
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    try high water fruit like a giant bowl of watermelon or several oranges..... i know you drink a lot of water, but the fruit just seems to push everything out. i hope you find something that works for you!
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    Options
    Water!
    Fiber-rich foods also made a noticeable difference for me too, but the biggest thing in my experience that helped was drinking plenty of water. I also take probiotics and if I need a little bit of 'help' I take flaxseed oil. Hope that helps a bit :)
    I take probiotics and omega-3's every single day and drink LOTS of water!
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had forgotten about probiotics. I get the liquid form that has to be refrigerated. I get mine from Swanson's Vitamins. I take it twice a day. Maybe that's what helping me. :)
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I alternate psyllium fiber and oat bran in my protein shakes. Keeps me regular without taking things to the messy, opposite extreme.
    is the fiber in powder form? Where do you get it?

You can find it anywhere....just get a generic brand of Metamucil. Be sure to check the sugar content.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Black Coffee? This works for me for some reason. But I think I might be a freak because apparently it's supposed to CAUSE constipation.

Is it possible you're too "obsessive" for lack of a better word about eating clean and not getting enough nutrients that might be in non clean food? Like fat, carbs etc etc
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Metamucil and Phillips Colon Health Probiotics! Works wonders for me and I had IBS long before my journey began! lol
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I definitely understand. most days, in general I try to eat pretty clean (but if not, just atkins friendly). A lot of veggies doesn't necessarily do it for me.

... coconut oil in a hot drink, or wrapped up in something you swallow, or swallow a small amount with water, mix it in something
    ~ raisin bran .. if the sugar content is too high, you can reduce it by getting the bran flakes separate, and putting 1-2(your choice) tablespoons of no sugar added raisins.

Totally works for me... and my body is super picky.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    castor oil will make you sick. Mineral oil makes you oily and orange. I would add benefiber to my water once a day.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Benefiber.
  • islandgirl1984
    islandgirl1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sometimes water and fiber are not enough......

Try magnesium. The powdered kind you can get at a supplement store. Try the ionic fizz magnesium (a triple dose) or magnesium serene (double dose). Someitmes IBS with constipation can be caused by a magnesium deficiency. If you start feeling nauseated, then you can cut back on your dose. I know several people who swear by this.

Plus a probiotic.

Flax oil.

And coffee in the morning. :)
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Inner Health Plus tablets - I now take one per day and they have changed my life!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I've done Weight Watchers on and off for many years. Part of their program is wanting you to have two teaspoons of healthy oils (olive, canola, sunflower, safflower, or flax) a day (not in capsules, but literally poured out of the bottle (mixed in food, used in cooking, etc.)...anyway, as long as I'm getting my 2 tsp a day, I'm regular, but during the times I wasn't doing WW and wasn't faithfully getting my oils it became much harder.

I'd recommend getting more oil in your diet.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Constipation! UGH major issue for me I have tried to correct it naturally and do okay for a bit but BAM it comes right back. Anyone else have chronic issues with this that can offer advice? Taking a laxative, softener, or cleanse every day is NOT healthy. I need different solutions. I am 100% clean eater at this point (see my diary if you don't believe me) and I do not consume dairy products or other binding products at all. I am SO frustrated, I feel like I have to go but NOTHING happens when I try. HELP!!!!! I have probably tried almost everything but at the chance I may not have I want to hear real life suggestions. THANK YOU! xoxo

400mg of Magnesium citrate on a daily basis.

Never gotten that suggestion! Where do I get it?

The Vitamin Shoppe or any place where vitamins and supplements are sold - Wholefoods, Trader Joe's, etc.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If I have this problem, I will have watermelon or grapes. Those are really helpful, as are fresh peaches.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    Options
    Sometimes water and fiber are not enough......

Try magnesium. The powdered kind you can get at a supplement store. Try the ionic fizz magnesium (a triple dose) or magnesium serene (double dose). Someitmes IBS with constipation can be caused by a magnesium deficiency. If you start feeling nauseated, then you can cut back on your dose. I know several people who swear by this.

Plus a probiotic.

Flax oil.

And coffee in the morning. :)

Yes fiber and water isnt enough for me I eat and drink a lot more than the average personanjd still nothing.I do take a probiotic daily (twice) so I am thinking magnesium is my next step!!!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Eat more and take less supplements.